Your opinions, please | FerrariChat

Your opinions, please

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by the_jay, Apr 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hi guys n gals,

I'm looking to purchase a new car in the next few months. I've been driving a Toyota Tacoma Prerunner for the last few years, its been great. However, one can only browse the car forums for so long without having the driving experience. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 cars- E46 M3 & the Evo.

I love both cars! Due to my profession and my young age, I'm leaning towards the M3. I really need to portray a strong professional image- I'm only 20 and I barely look my age. I'm afraid showing up to a meeting with a client in an Evo might be a little...You get the idea. Plus, I don't want to fit into the stereotype rice racer. But, from what I've heard the driving experience is just short of a supercar.

The M3 meets all the needs I could have- however I really want a mod-friendly car. The Evo has a great platform. I hope to start tracking/autocrossing every few months, but nothing too serious. I know I can track both cars and they'll be great.

I guess I'm rambling here- I plan to buy used, $35k max. I realize the M3 is about $10k more than the Evo, used. Just need some fellow enthusiasts opinions. I'd love to hear what you all have to say. Thanks!

~Jay

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Do not forget maintenance. Upkeep is not cheap on the ///M3.

Clients will look twice at any ///M you are driving.

I suggest getting the Evo and a domestic 'beater' but presentable sedan, like an early 90s Towncar (same engine as the 5.0 Mustang, btw easily modifiable as well if you get bored). Show up to clients in the towncar, keep the Evo for weekends.

3. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    2 cars is not an option for me at this point. I hadn't thought of maintenance- I'm not all too concerned. If I get an '01-'02- those had the rod bearing recalls and got 100k mile warranties.

4. exotics4fun

exotics4fun Karting

May 13, 2005
    Those 100k warranties expire relatively soon and I wouldn't count on goodwill from BMWNA or any other manufacturer, it's fickle at best. If you're using the car to impress clients lease an entry level Audi A4, it's in your price range, has warranty, respectable image, practical and fun to drive. Entry level luxury cars give an up-and-coming image that can't be beat. Get a promotion and, when your lease is up, you're ready for a new 8-cyl. M3 or a gently-used F360 with no negative equity to worry about. If I were 20 again that would be my plan. :)

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Confirm you still have warranty time wise when getting the car.

6. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'm not getting a car to impress clients- however I do want to be driving a classy auto that won't be a deterant to any clients either :)

I've browsed the M3 forums for a long time- I haven't seen any issues that are that big a deal to me.

Ultimately I'd like a well taken care of, low milage Carbon Black/Cinamon or Alpine White/Cinamon. We'll see, as I'm not quite ready for a purchase. Any other opinions?

7. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I see your dilemma but I suggest you consider something a little less obvious. First, though, I'd like to say that both cars are great for the right person and I don't want to take anything away from them.

In 1986, Mercedes Benz released the 190E 2.3-16 Evolution I. Spiritually, this is the grandfather of the current Mitsubishi EVO, being a very succesful homologation car, though for DTM instead of Group N. I believe it will be alot more fun to drive on the street, although I've never driven an EVO. Really, this car is very fun even at legal speeds which I think is more important that being fast. It will also be in an autocross class where it could be very competitive (GS) if you are serious about racing. It is also very luxurious. The best part is that it will cost less than $10,000 for a very nice example.

The only real downsides are that the car is hard to find, it is much older (but most were taken care of very well), it is much less flashy and it is not as fast or powerful as the other two options. Because the car was raced you can go as far as you want in modifying it and with the lower price you'll have plenty of money for that modification. Let me know what you think and good luck finding the car that's right for you.

8. MrScarface

MrScarface Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 8, 2005
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Get the Evo and put a giant fart cannon exhaust on it. Add a whistle tip and you will turn more heads than the M3. Just ask Bubb Rubb.

9. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'm pretty set on the M3...Saw a few today on the road, they're radical. Test driving begins next week sometime.

10. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    There is really no comparison here......... ///M3 all the way

This one test will make up your mind. Go sit in an Evo and then go sit in a M3. Now where would you rather be?

11. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I have to say, if you can afford an M3, do it. Test drive both, the M3 is of a totally different class of vehicle. % minutes in each and you'll see what I mean.
    Darrell.

12. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The M3 is a great daily driver--tons of mods available, but it is hard to get more power cheap (you can't just chip it and get as much as you can with the boosted EVO). The car is a little heavy, and understeers a fair amount in stock form for an autoX car.

There is a brand new "service campaign" on M3's for ignition coils and wires. You know about the rod bearing thing, there is also a differential issue as well (mine failed). If you are confident that those things are OK or have been fixed, I vote for the M.

13. MountainMan

MountainMan Rookie

Sep 11, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You need to drive both of these cars. There is no comparison. The EVO is a brute. It's fast, but it's like driving a go-cart all the time, and the interior is crap, plus the car looks pretty stupid in my opinion. The M3 is a far more professional car. Also, the sound of an M3 at 7000 rpm is about as close to a Ferrari as you can get.

I'll sell you my M3 Convertible. It's a 2002, gunmetal colored (steel gray), black interior, 20k miles. It's got the 100k mile factory warranty to protect the engine. That would give me garage space for a Ferrari!

14. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks, but even though I'm in So Cal, I'm not a vert fan at all!

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Get a B6 S4 with some miles on it. Audis aren't the most reliable, but neither are BMWs.

16. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Forgive my "Aud"orance ;) is the B6 the V6TT or is that the V8?

17. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
  18. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    B6 is the V8 S4.

19. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    The B5 and B6 S4s will both mix some of the elements of both cars you're thinking about and either could be a good solution.

20. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I looked at a few of the S4's- very nice. I'm sure I'd love the V8, 6MT- I really like the interior, black with the white inserts. I'll do some more research later- anyone know how they do on the track/autox? I plan to start tracking sometime soon.