Cheating???? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cheating????

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Mar 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I actually agree with that. I've been on the losing side due to my principles many times. I'm just saying, be aware that the whole 'cheaters never win and winners never cheat' thing doesn't normally play out in real life, and if they start this they're likely to end up disappointed and disillusioned at the conclusion.

Hell, it's probably better for the kid to learn that now than waiting until his 30s to finally figure it out like I did.

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well said. The first time anyone decides to stand for what is right they think that some divine intervention will lead them to victory. It really is an eyeopener the first time you realize that this certainly isn't always the case! A very good lesson to learn before the stakes get higher...

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    BTW, delete this thread if you do tip off Nintendo. He'll go rooting around for info I'm sure.

4. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    I completely agree that standing up for your principles is almost certain to get you trampled. For some that is no deterrent. For some it is more important to set an example than to win by cheating. Those few are known as "honorable."

As trite as it sounds, it's not whether you win or lose, it really is how you play the game. Are you really so consumed by the desire to win that you would sacrifice your honor? Even if nobody else ever knows what you did, YOU know. To lose your honor in your own eyes, that is the worst possible punishment.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    If this was discussed in a forum, I'd be surprised if someone else hasn't already reported it.

Personally, I think you should report the info. Just tell the officials and provide them with the printout. Let them investigate if they want. I don't say this to help your son. I say this because : 1. It's the right thing to do. 2. Someone else didn't place because of his cheat. 3. Try and deter someone else from using it.

You don't have to make it personal.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Contest Rules state:
    "no electronic game altering devices can be used"

He stated openly he used a gameshark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameShark
    The GameShark is a tool for modifying the play of video games, by unlocking various game modes and objects, using codes, usually for the purpose of cheating.

He knowingly cheated and bragged about it. He cheated your son, and in so doing, violated your son's bragging rights.

Turn him in.

If you won't do it, let us do it. All we need is the correct Nintendo email address.

GAME OVER

7. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

Agreed. It's too bad many people don't see it that way.

8. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    turn the cheater in.

9. Shiloh Phoenix

Jun 25, 2005
    right behind you!
    Full Name:
    Audiguy Jr.
    Exactly, thanks. I'm his son, btw.

10. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    We went back to the forums on which he posted most of his stuff. They have been deleted. However, I printed hard copies of them before he got in and erased them. The event is moving to Arlington tomorrow and our son will again play there. I believe my wife is going to show the hard copies to one of the judges who will be here who judged the Houston event.

I am not doing it so much for our son but to take this cheater out of the competition early on so he cannot corrupt the overall standings. OUr son can move on knowing he has done the right thing. Whatever the followers of this guy say, our son will not be moved by their taunts. He has no guilt to carry and can hold his head high.

I only hope he wins outright in Arlington.........

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Good for you Jim.......!!!

12. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Where's asb9987 or dbworld4k or whatever his handle is today? He knows all about this Pokemon stuff.

13. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Audiguy,

He has AIM.....I had a few words with him and I dont think he'll be showing up at any more events :D

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

Why doesn't he just show up and not cheat?

There's an idea..........

15. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005

I'm sure there is software to track those who use gameshark, but if he does do that he would have to reset the game and work his way up which will take time(alot of time). I did not mention F-chat BTW, I tried to act like a noob acting questing till I get some info he would admit to like being a mod and such. But he doesnt seem to care like it's whatever to him so I dunno, it was just a game to him.

16. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    dbworld4k is a friend of a close frend of my son, we believe. Do you know his first name?

17. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    It is just right to stand up for what is right. If people do not stand up for what is right, right will change........

18. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I think we may just take the copies of the stuff I printed from gamefaqs and smogon before they were deleted and let the judges at Arlington read them tomorrow. They will be the same judges who were in Houston and awarded this guy his prize. I wonder what they will say when they get a chance to read the posts that were made........

BTW, we are not expecting divine intervention but it would be okay if it happened. We realize that this is the real world and the real world is not a one hour tv show that leaves you walking away smiling. Real life can be good and it can be bad. The big thing is how you respond and how you retain composure and integrity.

If he wins tomorrow, our son will go and compete in NY. If he does not, he will attempt one more time in May when NIntendo makes one more stop in Texas at the Space Center in Houston. Only 32 events will be held in the US and three of them are being held in Texas.

May the best "legal" gamer take home the victory.........

They did say that if for any reason that the current winner cannot make the trip to New York in August that our son will get the trip by default. He does not want a trip by default. He wants to win it. Fourteen hours until the Arlington event begins..................Look for the dude with the blue hair and blue tinted sunglasses (intimidation factor included) Photos from HOuston on www.pokegym.com

19. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    What gets me it's a child's game, whoever thought that it would become soo corrupt?!

All the best to your son, James.

20. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Kid said he won today, is that true Audiguy?

21. Lip Service

Lip Service Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2005
    That's a shame. I thought it was the card game you were talking about. The actual nintendo game though. How does it work when they compete? Do the contestants bring in their own cartidges with their characters stats on them? If that's the case, it'd be incredibly easy to cheat, and even more difficult to tell.

Sounds to me like you can juice up your pokemon with the game shark, save the data, and bring it into the competition.

22. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Results:

Lost in the 3rd round today. Finished in the top 16. They had expanded the field to 80 instead of the stated 64. He lost to a young man from MIssouri who pulled out a nearly impossible string of critical hits on him. By this I mean, a critical hit doubles the damage that your Pokemon does to your opponent. When you attack, the game randomly chooses when a critical hit happens and this cannot be sharked in. The odds of a critical hit on any one attack is .01. He critical hit our son 7 times in a row. Figure those odds.

Oh well, things like this happen in competition and you take it how it comes, if it is legal. We believe this young man was legal and was in the right place at the right time.

Now for some updates on the cheating issue.

The event organizer said that Nintendo routinely watches all the websites that carry the Pokemon name. She said that they had been following the threads I have told you about for the past few days. My wife showed her our printed copies, which she read with great attention. When she got to the part where Roy Master said, "I would not waste 200 hours of my life evolving my Pokemon". He says that using other means is no big thing and people should "just get over it and quit whining", "I'm the best". She said that this certainly looks like an admission of guilt to her and asked to have the copies to forward to their legal department for execution. She said that they were very alarmed at just how many people are admitting cheating or saying that cheating is okay, if you don't get caught. She told us she would be back to us within the week with a decision.

Now we will wait and see what happens. It is not our responsibility to take it any further. Nintendo has been made aware and they are investigating. She even said that they might subpeona the server for the deleted threads for further examination. She says that they take this sort of thing very seriously and want the true winner rewarded and the cheaters exposed.

23. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Sounds like it is going to turn out well!

24. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    When Pokemon first came out it was a juvenile kid's game. It has evolved into a real game of stategy and I have to admit it is too involved for me to totally understand. OUr son began when he was about 8 with the card game. He is ranked in the to 25 in the US in it and higher than that on the Gameboy. He was Texas State Champion on the Gameboy last yearin the 14 and under class. This year he is 15 and is competing in the top class. He did not compete in this years State Championship as he was training his Pokemon for this competition.

I will have to get him on here to explain it all works. It can be very involved. I know they pair up and have six Pokemon at their disposal but they choose four to play with. Both players hook up to a box that links them together. They alternate attacks and defenses against each other and it becomes a real strategy session as certain cards have strengths and weaknesses against other cards and you hope you ones you choose to play are strong against the weaknesses of the other player. There are still ways to win, even if you have the weaker cards if you can play them in the right sequences. Like I said, it is very involved................Keeps their minds working......

Check out www.Pokemon.com/pokemonchallenge and go to the tournament rules

25. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Sorry to hear about the cheating deal, I think he should be chased and punished! Cheating is completely unacceptable.

On the other hand, it's neat to hear about how the Pokemon thing works. I used to play it (ok, none of my friends knew the rules so we made up our own, but we had fun :)) but I had no idea it was THAT serious. It's weird to think that if I had taken the same path I would be in the exact same spot, I'm 15 too!