Limerock construction | FerrariChat

Limerock construction

Discussion in 'New England' started by Speedracer38, Feb 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    Everyone please check this link out. There is a small explanation and a link with pictures at the bottom of the page. This is NOT the final product.....a lot of changes are still being made. What does everyone think about this?

http://www.cwnicholls.net/limerock/2006LimeRock01/

2. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Looks like they are making the track safer....not sure what all the fuss is about.

3. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I don't see what all the fuss is about. Although, I think they should re-pave the main straight, the last time I was there, I was bouncing the back of my helmet of my roll cage from the bumps.

4. roundel47

roundel47 Rookie

Feb 25, 2006
    The major change is at Uphill -- anyone who has experienced the gut tightening leap of faith that the front wheels will begin to grip (and steer) as the car hurtles into the ground at the uphill slope of the corner, will remember that there used to be a lot of Armco right at the outside edge of the track. Sadly, a DSR Radical racer was killed this past September when a car in front hit that Armco and bounced back into his line, so it looks like LRP is creating some more real estate out there. Not sure why the corner workers are upset (other than apparently not being consulted about changes to corner stations, go figure), but I expect a lot of LRP 'old school' racers will lament the dilution of a corner that was one of the big challenges at the track. They are messing with something that has been that way for 40-50 years, but on the other hand, LRP had to put in the part-time chicane immediately after Uphill to slow down the really quick cars after Morton launched himself 20 years ago. Certainly safer the new way.

Michael Whitmore

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just what a photographer needs...a bloody great big fence all around the track. That was one of the things i loved about Lime Rock, i loved how open it all was and added a sense of "vintage-ness" to the whole thing.

Although, a good friend of mine said when he raced there (a while ago, probably 15-20 years ago) he got all 4 wheels off the ground in his Lola race car when coming up the hill around the back.

:(

6. jonathan70

jonathan70 Rookie

Feb 25, 2005
    The outer perimeter fences around the track may be helpful to keep critters (and non-ticket buyers) out. And the guardrails sure seem to be well designed and more appropriate for the higher speeds we see every year. And the view for the inside of the track doesn't look too different for spectators' viewing. So this seems "all good".

But wasn't half the fun of Lime Rock knowing that the track was unforgiving and had some real tricky areas ? My FAVORITE part of the whole track was getting "a little air" at the top of the hill in my '69 Corvette. If I felt a touch of wheelspin at the crest, I knew that I drove it in hard enough ;>)

Thank goodness that the track itself appears to be unchanged... only the fences.

7. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

That's what gives the place 'character'...