GTO Spyder for sale | Page 4 | FerrariChat

GTO Spyder for sale

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Tspringer, Feb 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I need to send you some Maranello holy water fast! We can still save you. :D

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I feel better now. My jet turbine powered Daytona project just got the green light!

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #78 tifosi12, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It didn't help me, but who knows...
    :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The problem being they are about all "clapped out" after 45 years. Whatever the case there will always be someone who thinks a car in question is "too far gone" - unless it has gone through a top dollar restoration within the past 10 years.

Ferrari 250 GT is the most wonderful car ever built by man. Converting ANY of them into ANYTHING else in hope to make the car more "fun" is *SICK*.

BTW, Does anyone know who converted 0259EL into a lousy Barchetta replica?

Best wishes, Kare (who L*O*V*E*S his "clapped out" GT/E)

5. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

No Andreas, it has nothing to do with academics, it's all emotion!!! So %&*#$@+~!!!:D

6. grahamdelooze

grahamdelooze Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    england
    Full Name:
    graham de looze
    and then some genuine gto's have had their bodies cut off then been rebodied to look like genuine gto's and whats more you even show them at pebble.you guys.rotflmao.

7. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'd have less of a conscience problem about rebodying that one back original SWB configuration than I would about a rusted-out 330 2+2 or GTE, and I would have next to no conscience about those, just need the $$$...the 1971 Zagato body would make for a good ebay auction.

8. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Looks like I will have to change my signature to "Ferrari Butcher"

:)

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think a guy named Tom already has it. :D

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #85 Horsefly, Mar 2, 2006
  11. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    What's the point of a replica, say, 250GTO when you can't really take it to anywhere its real brethren hang out? You may be able to impress the valet in your fancy hometown restaurant. But then again you run the chance of the dude embarrassing you by asking "is this real or replica?"

Wouldn't you rather drive a lowly GTE, but with your pride intact? I would.

john

13. grahamdelooze

grahamdelooze Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    england
    Full Name:
    graham de looze
    #88 grahamdelooze, Mar 3, 2006
  14. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Thanks for information Marcel. i m feel better now.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #90 tifosi12, Mar 3, 2006
    San Francisco seems to be a good deal more snobby, pardon elitist than the Midwest. Here a shot from FCA's "Ferraris on Oakstreet" event, probably the most prestigious Ferrari event in the Midwest all year long. Also let me assure you, that FOC Midwest would be honored to have a car like this on one of its drive events.

Not sure on this, but I heard once, that even the president of the prestigous Ferrari Owners club in Switzerland owns a P4 replica. Maybe Marcel could comment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is with GREAT pleasure to inform you that said person was REMOVED (motivated to resign) from presidency, because of regularly showing up with a lousy, wrong and cheap "P4" replica. The factory wasn't pleased, believe me. No further comment!
    Marcel Massini

17. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Marcel the fact he became president though obviously shows that his replica wasn't that bad ;)
    Erik
    edited to correct spelling of Marcel

18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The people who made him president didn't even know if he owns a Ferrari or what kind of "Ferrari" he owns! They found out only later, when he showed up with a "P4" replica.
    Marcel Massini

19. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Some people do not base their pride upon the opinions and thoughts of others. Some people buy cars purely for the enjoyment they provide and without thought to what others may or may not think of them. Some people could care less whether anyone else is impressed by their car or not.

I like cars that are fun to drive, sound great, look stunning, are very involving for the driver and that are FAST. Whether or not they satisfy the anal obsession for supposed "originality" that others may have does not enter into the equation.

This is part of why I cannot fathom folks paying $2.5 million of a '71 426 Hemi 'Cuda. You can build a clone that is 100% accurate in every way except VIN for less than $100K, an option I would far prefer for such a car. With these muscle cars, where tens of thousands or more were built and the only difference between a $50K car and a $2+ million one is options choices to me forking over huge bucks is crazy. They are NOT rare cars.... there are only rare options packages.

I would LOVE to have a real GTO. I would much prefer to have a real GTO than a replica but since I do not have tens of millions laying about and probably never will a replica built to as exacting standards as possible for less than 5% of the price of the real thing is appealing. It would satisfy my needs. The fact that the wealthy f-car snobs wouldnt let me play in their events wouldnt matter a bit.

Terry

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed to all you said and to add to your last point: I know a very wealthy Ferrari collector (not a FChat member) who would probably sacrifice his whole collection if he could buy a real GTO. Money is not even the obstacle, they're simply not for sale. So what is he supposed to do? And no, he hasn't bought a GTO replica, but he does have a 250 TR replica. Which shows that replicas aren't just found in backyard garages.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    amen, keep preaching it brother, I'm getting spiritual up in here. let me hear the tifosi proclaim from the mountain tops the righteous path.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I respect your view and think it is plausible in some cases. However, often I think it is wannabes trying to be something they're not. On par with the cheap kit car craze. A 18 year old can't afford a 308, so kits out his Fiero. That same kid at 40 can't afford a real GTO, so kits out a vette. I have more respect for someone that doesn't try to be something they're not and provides love to something like a beautiful original GTE. This owner doesn't care what others think and if they're impressed or not, otherwise he would take a vette and make it look flashier. Maybe even a 250 GTO Spyder so everyone can see him clearly as he drives through the show!!! Pathetic.

23. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Isn´t that obvious? Some people want the real thing. Not just any replica. An art-collector doesn´t accept a copy of a painting, even if it is a fraction of the price, even if it is hardly detectable as a copy.

Sure, cars are different from painting in the sense that they are purpose built, but that doesn´t prevent people from settling for anything else than the real thing. Some passions just don´t allow fakes. This is not a rational choice between what´s real and what makes financially more sense.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That depends: There is a huge art market for lithographs. Serious people paying serious money for "copies".

25. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    That are exactly the people that own and cherish a GTE for what it is. A 250 GTE. Nothing more, but certainly nothing less.