Your Parent's Coolest Car? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Your Parent's Coolest Car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by venusone, Feb 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i just saw your post...they were wicked cool cars huh?!!!

2. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I used to own an Acura Legend 4-door. That car was a classic!

My dad currently owns a 1987 MB 560SEC in dark blue/grey. Some of my fav previous cars were a blue grey/grey 1986 Porsche 928S & a 1987 BMW 635CSi in bronzit beige/black recaro leather seats.

3. PapaiK

PapaiK Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    My dads 1970 MGB, which he still currently has. I used it as a daily driver for my last week of high school :) (Last year :p)

4. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    If you want to get technical, my parents' coolest car would be my Typhoon. I added my dad to the title for insurance purposes as well. As for the cars they've owned, nothing too cool. A BMW 2000, an MG Midget, and their current Land Rover Discovery are the only ones I'd want to be seen in :) My dad's stepdad had a Renault GTA Turbo. I really liked that one.

5. Patro

Patro Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Singapore
    1980 BMW 728i gray market bought in Switzerland and imported through Seattle.

Still running and still kicking ass. Pretty fast too considering its age/weight.

6. EndymionMKII

EndymionMKII Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    Well my Dad had a Yenko Stinger Corviar (I think it was the 18th made). He also had a 1986 Z28 up until he had to get rid of it for medical reasons.

7. hippo

hippo Formula Junior

May 25, 2005
    KL,M'SIA
    Full Name:
    Andri
    i owe my fascination of automobiles to my father!
    here's his list:-
    -1967(?) alfa romeo duetto
    -1969 citroen DS
    -1973 volkswagen beetle 911 engined(!)
    -1977 porsche carrera RS
    -1978 maserati khamsin
    -1979 volkswagen golf GTI(mom's)
    -1979 citroen SM
    -1984 audi 100 cd-quattro
    -1996 audi a6(c4) 2.8q
    -1997 aston martin vantage
    -1999 audi a6(c5) 4.2q
    -1999 audi s8 (360bhp)
    -2002 audi S4 2.7t (mom's)
    -2005 audi a6 3.2FSi
    -2005 bentley continental GT
    -2005 audi S4 cabrio v8 (mom's)
    -2006 maserati quattroporte Exec GT

8. stevehuck

stevehuck Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Sterling Hgts, Mi
    Full Name:
    Steven Huck
    My pop had a blue 1968 ford torino with a 428 Cobra Jet. Twice i can remember him going to jail.

9. Mash3

Mash3 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Cars I remember in my family during my youth:

1959 Citroen DS
    Ford Falcon station wagon
    Renaut 12 Station Wagon
    Peugeot 504 diesel station wagon
    Peugeot 505 turbo diesel
    Saab 99
    Peugeot 505 STX 5speed
    Saab 900

Harley Davidson Sportster
    Honda 750four

Coolest had to be the Citroen!!

Greg

10. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #60 bernardo66, Feb 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    We had a 63 Galaxy Conv. Black ext. with a white top and red interior and a 390 under the hood. Next not really a cool car but a cool engine 73 T&C wagon with a 440 in it. I remember my Dad explaining big blocks to me as we accelerated from 60-100 on the freeway in the wagon. The coolest was the last the 77 MG Midget.

12. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    My Dad (MHRIP) was never into cars. There were no cool cars. Nothing. Ever. He used to buy the most plain jane everyday family cars you could think of. 4 doors and got the family from A to B.

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    1980 Corvette (Stingray style)
    Red with red leather and T-Tops
    I LOVED that car.

It was my mom's daily driver. My dad had always wanted one so they got it. I think he drove it ONCE. Serious.

Got to take it to HomeComing and twice to school. Felt like a million bucks....

What's sad is that, when I was enjoying that Vette like it was the coolest thing in the world, MY future FERRARI was somewhere in California being loved by another man!!!

If only I had known!!! ;-)

14. Carson_Kitt

Carson_Kitt Karting

May 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    1968 American Motors AMX - Blue with White Stripes and Black Interior.

390 Cubic inches with 4 speed manual.

Absolute beast of a car.

Ran 12.51 in the 1/4 at 107MPH.

Still has it.

15. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    The immortal words of Maxwell Smart summarize my parents cars best.
    "Missed it by that much."

They bought a brand new 54 Chevrolet.
    63 Chevy II 6 cylinder
    66 Ford Fairlane 289 coulda been a 390
    70 Dodge Coronet 318 coulda been a 440
    73 Ford LTD.

After that it got ugly.

Erich

16. VeloceManiac

VeloceManiac Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2006
    Dad had a daimler Xj6 that was a pretty sweet ride.
    Then he bought a 360........Glt volvo, that actualy got some pretty awsome sideways action (i was only 7 at the time but dad used to be able to drift that pretty good)

17. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    My dad has had about 25 cars since he passed his test sometime in the Stone Age and although my mum, money, family and everything tries to stop him buying nice cars, he always manages to have some fun!

He had a 3.0 Capri, MGB GT, MGB Roadster before I was born.
    Got through a stack of BMWs including a stunning '87 525e 2.7 AT which went like hell! He was once driving his '95 520i SE 150hp Touring (great furniture wagon!) the day after I passed my test and said now that you have passed you have to learn how to drive fast! Nice 120mph in the middle lane of the motorway moment :D

He has a Mini One Convertible, '61 Norton 600 and a '49 Riley RMA undergoing resto' now so the car spirit is still there :D

18. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My parents have had boring cars. When I was a kid we had a Toyota Tercel, a GMC Minivan, then came the Saturns followed by the SUV craze (Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mitsubishi Montero). My mom's first car was a new Ford Pinto, so she got off to a bad start I guess.

My grandpa is the real car (toys in general) guy. I wish I was around when he was younger. He had Datsun Z's, 60s and 70s Corvettes, Mercedes SLs... he said he's owned 50+ cars over the years. Since I can remember, they've owned almost every SUV (Explorer, 4Runner, Grand Cherokee, Navigator, Land Cruiser, Lexus LX470 (4 of them)/RX300/RX330(2)). He used to have boats as well... raced to mexico regularly, and sailed every single weekend to catalina. I missed out.

I have him to thank for my love of cars. Unknowingly, I bought my first new car on his birthday, 2 years ago. Very fitting!

19. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    My dad had only one cool car so far and that was a blue 1965 6cyl mustang.

20. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    No one in my family can really be considered a "car" person, but I do recall my dad mentioning he had a Plymouth Roadrunner. Not the coolest, but sort of cool.

Id love to see how my kids would respond to this thread however many years down the road :D :D

21. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    1970 Caddy Deville. My dad got it from his great-aunt in 1994, it had 18,000 original miles and was still on the OE white walls that came with the car in '70. 472 V8 with a 3 speed auto, green on green. Has a custom "alarm" from the 70s ... open the door with the alarm active and an air siren (yes, like a world war II siren) shrieks till your ear drums exploed.

Great Aunt had absolutely no idea what she had when she just gave it to my dad because she could no longer drive it. The only thing not original on the car at the time was the battery because she drove it so little, the battery kept dying.

I used the car as my daily driver for about a year. No posi and enough torque to shift the rotation of the earth meant that at will, and at any speed, I could leave one really dark patch of rubber for what seemed like eternity. Car got a mind-numbing 7 miles to the gallon ... 6 on the highway. Dad, in his typical car-care ways ... put no money at all into it and let it fall apart (lots of rubber was dry rotting, roof was starting to rust). So we cut two holes into the back wall of the garage so the car would fit (car is 22 feet long after all), and pushed it in because a radiator hose cracked and dad couldn't be bothered enough to get it fixed. He won't let me touch it with a 10-foot pole because he's scared I'm going to either build the existing block into a beast or throw in a 502 built to a beast (he's quite right). It hasn't moved in over 8 years and it makes me sick to think about it. It's just sitting there rusting away.

The fun parts: Car used to get sideways real easy in left turns (right wheel was the only one with power). Long wheelbase and bias-ply tires made power-oversteer easy enough for anyone with opposable thumbs to control. Showing off for buddies one day I went around a 90-degree left hander sideways ... the right rear hubcap came off, rolled down the street, hit the curb, bounced up into the air and star-bursted the windshield of the cop's car that had just watched me pull that stupid stunt in plain view of him. That was a fun converstation. I did get the hub cap back though.

Driving a friend home to Irvington one night after work, stopped at a red light in Newark. 4 kids in a slammed Nissan Altima pull out of a parking spot. Driver had his seat laid back to the floor ... managed to not see the Caddy next to him and pulled out of the space and hit the right-rear quarter panel putting the first and only dent in the car it ever had. I hop out of the car, all 150 pounds of me, cursing and screaming. In front of a ton of on-lookers, I lay out a string of insults that were truly awesome.

"You overly ugly half-wit, this f'ing car is 22 feet long and its green. You have to live on an entirely different plateu of STUPID than everyone else on the east coast to miss this f'ing thing. A blind chimp in a bull dozer would've known this car was here, obviously you lack that level of intelligence .... " I was on an incredible role. So good in fact, I missed the fact that the other 3 people in his car had gotten out and were standing behind him with their fists clenched (one had an un-opened switchblade in his palm). I got my cell phone out of the Caddy and told the Altima driver that if he has enough hand-to-eye coordination to accomplish this feat, he needs remove his license and insurance card from his wallet and hand it over now before I carve my name into his forehead with my fingernails. I'm saying this while I'm dialing 911 to report the accident. One of his friends comes up and tries taking the phone out of my hand ... I start asking him what the f' he thinks he's doing. I spend 10 seconds publicy insulting him at the top of my lungs and then I hear the 911 operator pick up and I start talking to her. The 4 guys look at each like I'm crazy, jump back in the Altima, back the car up onto the sidewalk (because the Caddy was blocking their exit to the street), and took off down the sidewalk, off the curb, through a red light, and away down the street. I got the plate, gave it to the cops ... Altima was a stolen car. Cops hear my co-worker tell the full story because I'm too upset about the car to talk to them, and one cop tells me I'm lucky to be alive .... looking at the car I almost think death would have been better than this.

Another time, I'm heading over to the house of the same friend in Irvington to watch a Tyson fight. I'm stopped at a redlight half a block from his house. Couple of guys hanging out on the corner to my left, one says, "Yo, nice car .. what year?".

"70" I tell him.

"Looks like it's in great condition" he says as he walks up closer to the car. Gets right up to my door, my window was open at the time, grabs me with two hands by the shirt, and attempts to pull me out of the car through the window. Instinctively I put my left hand up on the roof, and extend my legs as hard as I can to brace myself inside the car. Lucky for me, the gas pedal in this car was huge and my right foot pinned it to the floor with every ounce of strength my leg had. I dragged that guy at least 100 feet before he let go. Police never found him.

There are more fun stories in that car, but its late and time for bed.

Bill in Brooklyn

22. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dad: 1955 Buick Super coupe

Mom: 1968 Mercedes sedan

My uncle..dad's bro...was the big car guy...'31 Lincoln, '29 Pierce-Arrow, mid-30's Rolls, new '63 Buick Riviera, new Cadillacs all the way through the 50's and 60's.

23. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    Dad Austin-heally Sprite 1955 or his 57,59,61,63 T-birds every time he tought of getting vettes they were alway before me the 59 was the coolest Because it was use as royal Tansport at one point while he own it

24. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

36 Rolls Royce Park Ward

MG TD (I still have the hub caps somewhere)

and a Chevelle of some sort

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I persuaded my parents to get a 1990 MB 500E, Now THATS a cool car

Maybe once they move to Miami I'll get them into a Maser Quattroporte or the upcoming Shaguar that copies the MB CLS