Any Le Mans Drivers/Owners on F-Chat? | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Any Le Mans Drivers/Owners on F-Chat?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by wax, Dec 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

#376 b-mak, Feb 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    #377 Jay GT4, Feb 20, 2006
    Hellava good first post is right! Why people must pretend they are something they aren't is beyond me. I have a feeling there are more "stories" out there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Within minutes of meeting Roland several years ago at an event he immediately pulled out a pic of his McLaren F1(from his wallet) and showed it to a friend and I. I am guessing he never owned one. Or am I mistaken?

4. Greenjack

Greenjack Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    Kram your stories are so inspiring, they make me want to start any form of racing....but it's so expensive.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It seems Roland morphs himself into part of everyone he meets. If he met me he would have a legitimate shot at being an asshole! :D:D:D:D:D

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You been watching some bill cosby?

--Dan

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Coke party at Darth's!!!!

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #383 darth550, Feb 21, 2006
  9. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I told Clarence when they tried to hijack his event in Vegas, that Roland's stories didn't smell right. The point thing that pointed it out, is that she claimed to have raced Ducatis in Europe. Said he'd won a race or two, don't recall the class. He posted a picture of him winning, but the bike, a bevel drive, appeared to be stock, etc., but the class was a modified class. Didn't make sense. I called the European Ducati people that I knew, and no one had heard of him. Maybe he raced them, maybe not, but no one had a clue about him. Sent a significant odor as far as I was concerned.

Art

10. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    KRAM, not counting the cars you drove at LeMans, if you could drive any car in any year, what car and what year would you choose ? You can have 2 choices.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #386 ryalex, Feb 23, 2006
  12. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thinking small, I would say a well prepared March 86 Formula 3000, for when on song they were a really great car to drive. They were very complicated for in terms of systems they were basically an F1 of the late ‘70s and thus not too reliable, but they had good balance, were easy to set up and went like stink. They were brilliant fun to drive, just brilliant.

So, chice number 1, from personal experience I guess a reliable, well mechaniced one of those in the 1986 International F3000 series.

Thinking big, well then, anything that shoved a driver around a circuit so that he ended up winning the F1 World Championship - in that year of course!
    Focusing just of Formula 1, well the 50’s were muscular years with very few cars that handled well, save for the Maseratti 250. (The Lancia\Ferrari D50 had horrible understeer). There were also very few front runners to chose from......The 60s had cars that tended to bust to bits easily yet were a lot easier to drive, so that’s appealing (the driving bit, not the bursting). In the 70’s the cars stopped killing so many drivers yet remained a tad unreliable, (although there was ONE race where every car that started finished). The 80s were the serious ground effects years - the cars had so little suspension movement that just looking at them in the pits gave you a bad back. They were pretty horrible to drive, what with your eyeballs jiggling about from the bumps. I guess it comes down to a 70’s Ferrari, a Lotus ‘79 or an early 90’s Williams.

Looking further into it I wouldn’t have minded piloting the 1967 STP Paxton turbine car in the Indy 500 of that year. It had a helicopter Pratt and Whitney engine nailed into it, and it flew. The one I’d like, please and thank you, would have better bearings in the gear casing, so instead of breaking seven miles from the finish it would take the checkered. I guess I’m a mechanical iconoclast at the end of the day.

Hey, I'll take the helicopter engine machine for choice Number 2. It really flew.

Thanks for asking.

13. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Actually, I was thinking from the endurance car ranks.....
    I have some thoughts, but won't post them until after you reply so as not to bias you.....

14. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I am not one to fan the flames of gossip, but I find some of these claims posted don't jive with my own experience. I have only met Roland once, but when I did (last fall), he told me (as best I can recall) in the course of several discussions,

a-he had a pro racing license from doing some racing in Europe in the 60's (never claimed to win Le Mans, which of course, I would expect anyone who had won Le Mans or even finished in the running, any class, would brag about it or tell someone interested in your driving credentials)
    b-said that someone asked him to fly out and test drive a McClaren F1 upon taking delivery of it
    c-that he lives at a small ranch in Ft. Collins and is a driving instructor, and gets asked to a lot of events mainly because people want him to bring his F40.

I always wonder when people start gossiping where the truth lies. I think this thread is a poor forum for fereting out the truth of the matter, esp when it comes to what the law calls 'hearsay,' the reliability of which is always suspect in the mind of any reasonable person.

As for something breaking on your car when you ask someone to test drive it for you, or sort it out on the track, speaking from a legal perspective, I would think that is a risk that YOU assume, and the driver doesn't assume the risk of repairing or replacing anything broke on the car unless they are renting or buying the car.

BTW, -a, didn't you tell me that YOU had won Le Mans and the Ferrari Challenge series a few years in a row?? (Or maybe I just assumed that b/c you had a hot blonde with you.) ;)

15. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark

A rather dull reply:

1) Mazda 757 1991

2) Mazda 757 1991

- because I know I could have driven it quickly enough.....

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Could one of the mods please split this thread into two separate ones? The interesting stories are getting polluted by the non-interesting ones.

Mark (Kram) and others: thanks for sharing, amazing stuff!

Ciao, Peter

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  18. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Tom / Wax:
    One man's voice: this is a bad call. Understand you have opined earlier, but as one (3-yr+ user), I disagree.

Personally, I am fascinated by Mark's (Kram's) stories -- they almost transport us to the event. I hear the noise, sound and fury. And smile at the humo(u)r and the pain of the French administration.

I have much less interested in the "outing" of Roland / who said what to whom about what.

For me the experience would be richer were they split into 2 threads. Respectfully, I disagree. But it is only one person's opinion.
    Philip

19. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Sorry to bump this up again, but did anything ever come of this thread / was there a response by Roland?

20. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Uh oh......!

21. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Has that rally of his happened yet?

22. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Roland has sold his Ranch and moved..... don't know where.

23. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Roland has/had some serious health problems. It may take a long time for him to heal and be the Roland we know. His health did not allow him to keep the ranch, which is a travesty. He loved it so much. He can no longer do the driving school. Another loss as those that have driven with him will be able to tell.

Seeing people here (after re-reading this) going on a rampage....sad! :(

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I am sorry to see Roland is having troubles. He certainly seems to be a nice and generous guy. I wouldn't wish this turn of events on anyone, and hope he has a full and speedy recovery. It is a damn shame about the ranch, too.

But Martin, having said that, it doesn't mitigate his behavior in reference to his manufactured race history. They are not related issues.

Dave M.

25. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

I think you have your sadness aimed in the wrong direction.