FOC Slot car race on Saturday - Pictures | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FOC Slot car race on Saturday - Pictures

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Daytona Rick, Dec 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    We should compare notes one of these days. My UK friends claim to know the whole history of these cars.

2. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hey any time. I have a whole picture album, some with me in the real Miami Vice cars, at their shop in TN. If things would have turned out differently (ie no law suit) my actual car was supposed to have been the cover car in a Popular Mechanics or Science? cover shoot on higher end replicars representing Robert's Motors who maintained the cars of the Miami Vice show and creator of the stunt cars. The last time I talked to Carl - the owner, a few years ago he stated he still had all three cars. He was planning on sending them around the country via various car shows. Maybe it will happen now that the remake movie is coming out soon.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have both of the Revell Models of each of the Miami Vice cars. The Black Daytona,and the White Testarossa. They have them readily available at Hobby Lobby.

4. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Andreas and Rick,

I am positive I read somewhere that part of the agreement for lending the TR was that the stunt model of the Pantera would be destroyed at the end of the show's run. Also, according to www.imdb.com, the TR resides at a local Florida market. A few threads here on Fchat state that for the movie version they will be using a black F430 Spyder...

Regardless, I am now hooked to that show after getting them on DVD for a Xmas gift. They use a lot of the same shot of the Daytona bottoming out and shooting sparks everywhere. Awesome scene. However, the interior and accidental shots of Crockett playing with an auto is not too good. Did anyone notice if the yellow Daytona Spyder in season 2? It looks the real deal: door handles, engine, interior, body style.

In regards to slot car racing, I will definitely be going if invitied, but would like to pass the racing responsibilities over to my significant other. I think she will give Franky Jr a fun companion to see who can cause the biggest slot car accident. Besides, she enjoys Vince's company and hanging with a fellow Euro in Andreas.

RocketBoy

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    At some point I want to go to Miami and visit some of the famous places/sets from the original show. There are huge fanclubs, particularly in Europe who have annual conventions there. Would be fun to show up with the car...

I read somewhere that Michael Thomas built his own movie theater where he shows only his own movies to family and friends.

Rocketboy, looking forward to see you and your lovely wife.

6. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yes the Yellow Daytona was a real one. Looking forward to this event. I'll bring my scrap book with some of the old clippings. In honor of Bill coming down I'll have the section on all of the related Ferrari law suits on the various replicar makers.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Rick, I am sure you are happy to hear this: German TV is repeating the entire Miami Vice series starting soon. They currently run trailers showing the Daytona thundering through the Miami night with the undertray hitting the street and sparks flying. Just for you, man.

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You can get both seasons 1 and 2 of Miami Vice,and Magnum P.I.,Commercial free,on DVD. Both shows with extra scenes,etc... Get 'em at Best Buy,Blockbuster,where ever.

Also,they've been showing Miami Vice here on one of the cable stations. I saw the first 2 episodes. I'll have to check which station and get back to you on that.

When we were out in Arizona. The WGN "Superstation" out there is running Magnum P.I. right now.

O.K.,back to work....I'll check back in a few days or so....:)

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #34 tifosi12, Feb 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Driver lineup:
    Rick
    Vince
    Rocketboy
    Chuck
    Dave
    Andreas
    Dan
    Richard
    Huskerbill
    Frank
    Frank Jr.

We have the big track from 3pm to 4pm at www.dadsslotcars.com on 700 Lee street in Des Plaines. Check out their website for precise directions.

15$ per person, which you can pay me in cash at the event. Slotcars and controllers are provided to us, but you can bring your own if you prefer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I can see where this is going... " Brings a knife to a gunfight." If the Chicago Fchat crew has a professional race on a closed circuit, Im bringing my friends YZFR1... Regardless it will be very nice to see you all again and meet some new people. I don't have the H2 no more and that may be a bad thing. If I recall a lot of the streets in downtown Des Plaines were quite torn up this summer but Vince would be a better source for this info. In my recent memory Thacker being the worst this summer with more holes than the surface of the moon. There are also quite a few high and layered RR crossing up and down NW Hgwy that plays havoc on low cars. Im guessing if any of you were to bring a sports car, be careful of the route you take or if you get lost and start circling. That being said it will probably snow.

RocketBoy

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bring it with you. I'll bring my own two cars. But if they're any faster than what the shop provides they'll be running outside the competition or in their own race. I just want to see how fast they go in comparison to a professional/regular slot car. Would also be interesting if anybody had one of those Carrera 1/24 cars.

12. sklitz11

sklitz11 Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2004
    D.P. Illinois
    Full Name:
    Vince C.
    Looking forward to seeing you guys at the track.

Rocketboy,
    I don't think the streets are in bad shape (around the area)so if its warm and dry I may expect to see you wearing red that day?

Thanks.

Vince

13. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/60016?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

19 as a high, 10 as a low last time I checked. If Im wearing Red it will be a hat or my backside from getting it kicked in the racing. However, I will save myself the whoopin and bring a much better and pretty face to look at in my wife who will do the driving instead. I wanted to bring, now borrow a fun car, but thanks to Mother Nature it appears my SUV is the way to go. Its too bad as there were many fun cars out just yesterday in the 55 degree heatwave. No matter, as said before I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and look forward to hearing positive news on your latest business interests. I also hope to convince you and Tifosi12 to get your acts together and meet Huskerbill and I on Xbox Live for either Halo or Forza.

The only reason I mention those roads is that I have fam in the area and when I was visiting the god-daughter in the Ferrari years ago, ouch, that RR crossing on Rt. 12 by Holy Family? You can just feel the creaks and be on think you're the verge of snapping some car part. And that's been that way for a decade if I recall, amongst others crossings. When I met up with you and Carla, all of downtown Des Plaines was being torn up. Like ownership and appearance of the movie theater, I always felt that city center changed with every season.

RocketBoy

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Got very close last night: Was on line and about to sign up my XBox live account, but obviously scratched the card too vigorously to read the code. Have to get a new card...
    :(

15. sklitz11

sklitz11 Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2004
    D.P. Illinois
    Full Name:
    Vince C.
    I'm ready to roll some Live at anytime...We gotta get that Tifosi guy on track with some Halo 2.

It sounds like it is going to be a cold one so maybe the prancing horses won't make it out that day. I actually just took mine out for a spin and I visited the Illinois Air Team. I hate those guys!

Thanks.

Vince

16. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Alas, it looks like I will not be able to make it after all. I'm going to have to spend Saturday working on the real car. Good luck everybody.

Chuck

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Driver lineup:
    Rick
    Vince
    Rocketboy
    Dave
    Andreas
    Dan
    Richard
    Huskerbill
    Frank
    Frank Jr.

We have the big track from 3pm to 4pm at www.dadsslotcars.com on 700 Lee street in Des Plaines. Check out their website for precise directions.

15$ per person, which you can pay me in cash at the event. Slotcars and controllers are provided to us, but you can bring your own if you prefer.

18. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    So is your car 10 years old now? I don't think the H2 has ever been in for one of those whereas when I help my Dad out with his cars (the 20 year old classics, ) I think its every summer I get caught in that place during lunch time for two hours. Should just switch them over to classic registration and plates which I hear and have read on this site limits the scrutinity on the testing. But this year, thank God, those rust buckets are being replaced.

Had only one good and quick experience at Air Team. My first sports car was an 8 series Beemer. Drove in, they put some sort of heart beat machine and gas cap tester on, 30 seconds later I was done and driving home. This was after driving all night from Florida, just drove in to the Air Team instead of home, and got the test done and slept for a few days once I arrived in my home town. On the flip side, it once took them 45 minutes just to register a Rolls not to mention the testing time.

RocketBoy

Edit: Unless she gets tired and/or agitates others by making her car fly off the track, Mrs. RocketBoy is the actual driver unless she has some cute studs to tease like Franky Jr or Vince's boy... don't get any ideas HuskerBill, you're not that good looking. I also owe Andreas 15 bucks for the FOC calendar? Can you bring my copy? Thank you.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    25 years is the required age for AV plates. I got two more years to go...

Will bring your calendar.

20. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    Hello everyone. Thoughts of spring time seem to bring out the dreaded emission nightmares threads. My 1985 308 is exempt from emission testing by the state. If anyone has ? how, I will be slot car racing Sat.

21. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Your car can be exempt from emissions by filling out a form from them (pick up from one of their locations) fill it out and show insurance proof that your car is setup for limited drivng (usually less than 2000 miles per year). it works for me.

22. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Can kids play? What's the age limit?

I will have the 4 boys.

Richard

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No age limit, as long as they're tall enough to see the track on the table.

24. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey, you only gave me back a quarter!!!

Lou has been losing at the track and raised his prices on everything.

Well I ain't payin' no 50 cents for no Coke!!!

Ahh, then you ain't gettin' no Coke, know what I'm sayin'????

Classic Caddyshack lines......

Seriously though, I am not payin' no $4.50 for no Malt!!!! Cripes, did you SEE their prices in the background?? Sheesh!!! I guess I am used to $1.75 for the hot fudge sundaes at the counter of the pharmacy's malt shop in Dodgeville, WI. Nuts AND whipped cream too!! I am spoiled!!!!

Alright, sounds like this thing is for 3 P.M. Rats. I was hoping it was like 11 A.M. Oh well. I was hoping I could get back early since I am going down to Chicago on Sunday too. Wife can't go. She is finishing up her MBA this semester and has one class left. She has a lot of studying to do and, since we will be going to Chicago Sunday, needs to study tomorrow. Oh well.

Bill

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Every time I go to Sheboygan I feel like I just got a massive raise.