Mondial owners group buy: center console switch fascia | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mondial owners group buy: center console switch fascia

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by snj5, Oct 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I do like the idea of a cup holder, do you think that we could keep the lid to cover it? Or do you think that it would just push over the drink as it is not really that deep. I look forward to seeing the first piece, I am sick of looking at my pealing center unit.

Thanks,

Chris

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #52 snj5, Jan 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, here it is. If we buy at least 5, it's $76 + shipping.
    I gotta figure out how to do this better and cheaper
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #53 snj5, Jan 16, 2006
    Figured out a better design for the cupholder. (For those of you just joining, this aluminum piece replaces the crappy plastic cassette tray under the cover - for the front switch and rear center console fascias, see below) I recessed the area at the bottom and added threaded holes to recess the hinge on the cover, allowing re-fitting of the folding cover. In the hole is one of those standard cupholder inserts that can be removed for cleaning. I'll find one about 2.5: deep and drill the center hole to accept it. Then it will look nice and can be removed for cleaning. The new price without the cup holder insert doofer is about $52.
    Pretty good for a government employee.

4. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I am in for all three, nice work.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    UPS shows first front fascia prototypes in on Wednesday 24 Jan.
    Will post, determine what adjustments to make, then here we go!

The cup holder panel is pretty interesting. Still looking for an insert the right size; many correct size in plastic on eBay, but holding out for metal. Will also put in lighted power socket.

All advice welcome

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #56 snj5, Jan 25, 2006
    First prototypes arrived for front panel - one in black and the other in anodized metal. The original piece (right) is shown next to the black aluminum prototype on the left
    They look pretty darn good. Will try to fit and rake pictures. The engraving on both turned out really nice - better than I thought.
    Will take orders beginning next week.
    cool, huh?

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #57 snj5, Jan 25, 2006
    Test fit the anodized prototype tonight. It fit exceptionally well off of the drawing board, better than I thought. Only production changes will be to make it a little thinner to 2mm and reduce the hole sizes about .5mm.

Got notified the rear panel prototype was shipped today

Here's what she looks like installed:

8. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Pretty cool... Pretty damn cool.... It's not just anodized knobs and pedals anymore for the Mondis.

Nice work Russ!

9. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Flippin sweet!!

10. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Russ,
    Can you post a picture of the plain aluminum piece installed? The black one looks great. Now I'm not sure which one to order. I'm wondering if the plain one wont make it easier to see the switches in the dark. Kinda thinking the lighter delete with a black horse in its place might also look good. Who knows I just might end up buying both.
    Thanks,
    Copterjon

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #61 snj5, Jan 27, 2006
    Here is the anodized Aluminum piece installed but not fastened down.
    A word about this prototype piece - I was trying this for the anodized metal color and a thick piece (4mm). The colored engraving as on the black piece is available on this as well, and you can see I left the other engraving which show through in a nice silver.. The metal anodize give it a 'generic metal' color. Another interesting thing about this one experimental prototype is that the switches could be mounted on the top of the piece rather than below, greatly simplifying maintenence.
    Last night I ordered a complete set of front (ash tray and lighter delete), rear and the cassette panel (modded to have a cupholder and lighter socket) in NATURAL ALuminum to better match the shift gate.

For those who do not already know, repro cavallinos and pininfarina badges/flags available at www.blackbartsemporium.com

That all said, if anyone is interested in this prototype anodized aluminum piece as is, I'll let it go CHEAP. Hey - it's a piece of history!

best to all

Russ

12. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Looks nice. Have you tried polishing one to match the shifter gate?

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes - that is what I will do with the natural aluminum set ordered last pm and arriving in about 2 weeks. I think it will look quite classic and period correct (as opposed to CF).

best
    Russ
    "I hate cheap crap plastic interior parts; I will hunt them down and replace them..."

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #64 snj5, Jan 29, 2006
    The production changes to the switch panel include:
    1. Smaller A/C button holes for surer fit
    2. Enlarged ashtray side slots for easier lid operation
    3. Cross hatched area shows cavity on back side to allow the panel to sit down over the switch fascias squarely
    4. larger fan symbol engraving

Cost estimates (projected)
    All told, with packing/shipping of switch panel, will come in to about $150 or so. The big price increase was the cavity on the back, but to sit perfectly as the original, it is best. Note boxing and shipping is also in there.

And since you asked, the replacement plastic piece, when available, from F-UK is 136.40 British Pounds, or approximately $231.88 plus shipping and customs duty (if you are outside EU).

The rear panel will be about $60 or so, and the center cupholder panel replacing the cassette holder plastic will also be about $70 or so al including shipping

If you do not need one right now, I am working with Birdman to offer this to the Mondial family through his upgrade parts service. And, you can easily delete or add features as needed. Feature delete even makes the cost less!

Will look at taking orders if anyone interested at the end of next week for a group buy.

I am not making any money on this if that was what you were thinking... :)
    best to all
    rt

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #65 snj5, Jan 29, 2006
    Here is what I am trying for myself in polished aluminum and held down by countersunk screws to match the polished shifter gate. With no anodization, less graphics and infill, ashtray and lighter delete, it's also a bit less expensive at $112. I am having a back panel in polished aluminum to match. I actually got this idea looking at some older Ferrari Pininfarina SuperAmericas and others that also actually had polished aluminum switch fascias on the center console.
    Just an example of what can be done.

16. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Russ you are tireless, I was dead set against this, as a stock OEM only purist guy, I said no bastardizing of the ferrari heritage..but then I realized hey these cars are road cars and not the classic ferraris and every assures me that my ferrari models like 308's and mondial etc will never be classic or worth anything since they are not rare enough and not 12 cyl etc....( I was a schmuck to let myself get talked out of a dino 246 gts 20 years ago for $8,000 that I really wanted so badly...becuase the experts told me it was high volume 6 cyl "fiat" poc and never going to go up in price or worth anything...not a real ferrari, and way too high volume ( I bought a XKE roadster instead - but really wanted that car and now it is just priced too high to be practicle to buy and I will never really have one....so this site currupted me ...it all started witht he stcorsa a/c vent -- oh how I "sweated" (pun intented) that decision (still need install directions if anyone has bought one) then came 360 wheels and now I guess Russ's face plate is next...always worried about my cars ending up like the "manufactureer's anycar" -- anyone remember that promotional car...will probably turn up at a barrett jackson auction and go for a 700,000! So Russ, let me know the options and what you think would work est in a black/black mondial!

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #67 snj5, Jan 29, 2006
    Your PM box is full, so here are the ST Corsa vent instructions Verbatem in their entirety :
    Step 1). Remove old Plastic Vent (It is easy to remove, as it is held in place with clips. Lift on bottom and pull out lightly, it should pop out)
    Step 2). Remove the three vents from the aluminum housing (push from rear)
    Step 3). Start the two set screws from inside the center hole of the housing ( Don't screw them in all the way in they should not protrude outside the housing yet).
    Step 4). Hold the housing in the dash and screw set screws in. (using 5/64 Hex key supplied)They will hold the housing in the dash. (The set screws should flush with the inside of the housing. It is a good idea to use blue locktite on the set screws but not neccesary).
    Step 5). This step is not neccesary but will help further improve airflow. The foam around the outlet of the ac system does not seal on the factory vent and we always use 4 pieces of duct tape (preferably black) between the outlet and vent housing on the inside (this is why we asked you to remove the vents in step 2)
    Step 6). Pop in the three vents and you should be finished

That's all they sent me. Sorry for the delay!!
    For black on black, you may want to go with the aluminum for some nice contrast - wait and see how mine turns out and decide what you like!
    Hope this helps!!
    rt

18. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    very helpful indeed as Steve has yet to get back to me....I will have to get a shop to drill thesetscrew holes all the way through and thread them...not a real biggie but a pain to do in manhattan and costly and remember I paid 300 for this vent...anyway glad to have it....love these one of homegrown designs...I think you are right on with the aluminum in my black interior...got one small concern..with top down on sunny day the glare from the aluminum may sunburn my chin and neck...nothing a little spf 30 couldn't solve....I wonder if there is room to mount some cool guauges in the console..perhaps in teh change bin (where I now park my ipod and it fits perfectly as if ferrari knew this great mobil device was coming in the future!)

19. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Russ,
    I really appreciate the fine work and attention to detail you are putting into this project. At least for myself you do not have to justify the price. I think the final products will be well worth it.
    Where can I get the ST Corsa centre vent for my car?
    Copterjon

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #71 snj5, Jan 31, 2006
    The back panels came today; still waiting on the cassette drawer cupholder.

Here are photos of the complete f & r aluminum fascia replacements, installed.
    I'm biased, but it looks way better and befitting a bespoke Ferrari than the cheap Fiat plastic. And they never get sticky or peel - yea.
    Class will tell.

The first picture is the stock replacements done in black anodized aluminum.
    The second is the natural metal anodized with lighter deletes and ashtray delete in rear.
    The natural aluminum pieces are on their way.

Ok, PM if interested - will firm up price but looks like below is close (~$200 for both). Can do these anytime if you want one later.

best to all

22. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I am in for a complete set of the black, no deletes. I can not wait, what a difference this will be, I have had a peeling corner on my Mondial for years. My eye goes right to it each time I get in the car. Thanks a ton for this! I owe you a few beers for your time and trouble on this if we ever meet face to face.

Thanks,

Chris

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Everyone - the revised pieces came in today and the fit is good. We're ready to order. I'll post a catalogue of pictures and prices the next day or so and start taking orders.

The cassette bin piece turned out pretty cool as a built in cupholder, but can put many things there. Pictures soon. The front and rear fascia panels fit nice and snug!

Pictures and prices next day or so.

24. Azorf

Azorf Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 12, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was following this thread for a while, but I have not heard anything about if it was ready to order. Was another thread started some place? Please let me know.
    Thank you in advance

25. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I got a set from "yours truly" here and they are just beautiful. Thank you so much.