Anybody installed a trailer hitch on a 550 or 575? | FerrariChat

Anybody installed a trailer hitch on a 550 or 575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by frefan, Jan 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I want to tow a motorcycle trailer with 575. The bike + trailer probably weighs only about 800 lbs, anybody done it? Is it possible? Any info or pics greatly appreciated.

Yes I know I could do it with my SUV but I'm going on a road trip and I want to drive 575 and have track bike too. So why not??

2. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I can think of one pretty good reason...begins with "F", ends with "I"

3. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Anything is possible, but wouldn't a trailer in tow take all the fun out of driving the 550?

4. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    There will be plenty of times the trailer will be detached from the car for sport driving. When the trailer is attached I will be driving from point A to B on the interstate and the speed limit, of course. I think the "why not??" question in my post came across wrong, I mean if someone has done it and regretted it for some reason I'd like to hear that -- otherwise I'm not looking to debate where I should or not, just if anyone has done it, need details, otherwise I go it alone.

I've met folks that rip out the passenger seat and interior of their 550 for racing, all I want to do is install a discreet/removable trailer hitch, doesn't seem that big a deal to me. Thanks

5. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    Sorry, I am not for a big help here, but i think you should go ahead and do it, just do as you mentioned a removable one, so that it doesn't ruin the looks of the car when you dont need the hitch.

Here is a pic of a Diablo with a tow hitch http://www.sportscarforums.com/f19/diablo-trailor-hitch-2530.html as you see it needs to be quite high up compared to the car, so that might be something for you to look into.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If anyone would it would be Bobafett!

7. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Why don't you tow both your 575 AND your motorcycle on a flat-bed trailer with your SUV?

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you do it, be sure to post pics here!

I bet your pictures will end up all over the internet.

9. kdm

kdm Rookie

May 3, 2005
    Sweden
    Found this information to a AUDI RS6.

"One thing worth looking for is the fitment of a tow bar a definite no-no for an RS6, as the additional loading increases the oil temperature in the transmission and engine to unacceptable levels. Audi have invalidated RS6 warranties if towing hitches are fitted."

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/audi-rs6-2004074.html

Seriously - I dont think you can tow anything without frying the clutch and put to much pressure on the drivetrain on your ferrari.

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    If you do it, please post the serial number so we all know to avoid your car if you ever decide to sell....LOL

On the serious side, I had a tow hitch put on my alfa romeo spider veloce in college. Never had any trouble at all. towed about 500lbs...

That said. I wouldn't even consider it on an F-car.

11. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    *drool*

How else am I going to make Jeff Foxworthly EXTREMELY jealous?

Well its only 800-lbs, but perhaps the computer isn't expecting that weight back there. I guess I'll have to stop offering my mother-in-law rides to work too. ;)

Ah-ha, the answer!

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    M: I looked into it briefly for the EXACT same purpose (damn that Art).

I haven't gotten a firm answer on whether the car can handle the stress properly (both mechanically and physically). I do know that it'll require a little bit of funky engineering to get the bar setup properly.

One thin gto remember: it's a sealed rear end. This means that the best way to do it is going to be cutting out a hole behind the rear license plate, and coming up with a hinged plate for it to pop up when you want to insert the tow-bar with the ball-end. Also remember that since it's a sealed end, you'll have to come up with something clever that will lock "from the outside" of the car as opposed to behind, but can stay behind the plate.

I have to do some work on the car tomorrow / day after (and shouldn't you be busy? C tells me she's swamped and I'm sure she appreciates comments about her mother :D ), so let me get back to you once I've looked at it more seriously.

--Dan

13. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    #13 wfo900, Jan 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    LOL. For all the SUV-bashing that goes on, here - at last - is a chance to use it for an intended use! Or rent one for a week for whatever a 575 clutch costs...

Anyways this can't be much harder than mounting a snowplow on the front.

15. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    #15 frefan, Jan 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh thats sweet! For me proper bike is 998 though I like oilheads too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Oh my god, my hero! a 275 with a trailer? YES!

--Dan

17. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Wow.. now I've seen a 275 with a trailer... an F40 with a bike rack... that rules! Next up, a 430 with a snowplow. Might improve the look of the front end.

-R

18. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    I remember as a kid in Germany i saw a 928 trailing a huge Tabbert caravan on the Autobahn...

Pathetic.

By the law, it is forbidden on the Fcars to taw anything no ?

In europe at least it is.