My newly acquired F40 replica | Page 9 | FerrariChat

My newly acquired F40 replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F40 replica guy, Dec 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cshargh

cshargh Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Cyrus
    200 posts and still no real pictures. The last post was 7:58 am PST. I think the sun was up by then, even in the most northern reaches of Oregon. So how about some pics that we can see the whole car?

2. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    I am going to get it cut and buffed today ... hopefully shiny new pics will come after that. Also next wekend I am completely redoing the interior .. so more pics will come then as well.

3. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Hey Dave, made yourself and others looked pretty darn stupid eh?

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good times.

Yes, that is Armen's 288 in my profile pic. :)

Also drove Rick's F40 that day... If only every day was that good....

5. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    He admitted he was skeptick and he (graciously) apologized. Move on.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    No offense, but by the time you're done you could have a very nice stock Fiero and a decent 308 or Mondial as well. And a good 308 or Mondial is a very nice highway cruising car, if you are doing a lot of driving.

There was a black Mondial on the cover of Forza a couple of months ago with 105,000 miles-- looked beautiful.

And, before you tell me that 2 cars are twice as much insurance, maintenance, etc, consider this: none of the money you are putting into improving this replica will come back to you when you sell. Replicas (and other heavily modded cars) do not sell for much money. Why? Because most people are buying them because they are cheap. Trust me on this, no one will pay $15-20k for a modded Fiero-based replica, because for that money they could easily get a nice, REAL Ferrari.

A 308 or Mondial will hold it's value very nicely.

Try to come to some local Ferrari Club events and experience some cars. Or, let's set up some sort of meet-up after the holidays. I've been wanting to do something like that anyway.

7. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Easy to say but it happens far too many times in this joint. Someone asks a simple question, gets total stick from umpteen folk, people cursing and whatlike and then demand proof behind what they ask. I mean who actually gives a friggin toss? This is Ferrarichat.com, not ferrariowners.com.

So lets all give abuse, then lets get proved wrong and suddenly drop it........em OK.

The best posts in this thread have been from those sticking up for Ferrari Replice Guy and believe me, its nice to see some folk being behind what he is doing. Given my age at the time, I spent £16K on my first car, then spent tens of thousands doing it up. I still own that car and always will as there are certain cars i will never part with. For the money i spent over time on modifications, I could have bought a 348 or 355 but its a hobby and people take pride in things that may only interest them and not others. I also would rather have that same car now over a 348 or 355 cos it means so much to me.

Not trying to cause anything here but I would just like to say some comments on this thread have been completely unnecessary.

Moving on......

Regards,

Matthew

8. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    for my 2 cents, the fchat hair triggers come from putting up with trolls that come on here and bad mouth Fs, say they have Honda Civics that'll beat Fs, have a kit/replica car that costs a fraction of a F and is cheaper to maintain and is just as fast, yada, yada, yada.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm, let's see:
    - The new Honda Civic beating my 308? Yup, check
    - Kit car costing a fraction of a Ferrari? Yup, check
    - Kit car maintenance cheaper than a Ferrari? Yup, check
    - Kit car just as fast? Depends. The NZ F40LM definitely.

Does that bother me? Not really.

Live and let live.

10. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    sure, but don't come on a FERRARI list and not expect strong opinions on the marque nor take exception when you encounter it.

11. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    ill never understand.......but props on the effort...

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    MattyMouse: terrific post. Now, could you translate that into americAN? :)

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Good post-- if you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks?

I get the same basic grief over my Ferraris-- "why did you buy that ridiculous, expensive old thing? Think of the new cars you could have bought for the money you spent!" I heard that one just yesterday.

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Matty, If you'll notice, I apologized to F40 replica Guy and he responded, end of story. Go pick a fight somewhere else, I won't be drawn offsides.

15. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    I am not bothered by what FD said in the first place. I knew I would catch grief for my car and I was fine with it. Frankly the reason I posted was to hone my defensive skills against the inevitable attacks I will be getting in the future. I also wanted to really explore my reasoning for getting a replica. Both have worked very well. I am out at a 4 hour exterior detail right now and I am typing this on my Treo 650..... it ain't easy LOL
    Actually my detail was over by Mall 205 which is not but a short walk to RTGT ... I qm headed there now walking as I type. Gonna check out whatever is on display. I will throw some more pics up later this evening when the car hopefully looks much better.

16. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You are to be commended dude, there can be some realy nasty ****s on this site who will attack anything. I like ya spirit;)

17. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    Well FRIG! they called me about 10 minutes after I made that last post and told me the paint was too soft to buff yet. I have to wait a few days.......

The good news is I got to go in Ron Tonkins locked garage and spy out his F40 ... I didn't realize it was OR LIC F 40.
    My replica is strikingly similar except of course my paint as does the engine (compared to the real one). I also saw a 512i and a 308 and a couple Spyders.... not to mentiona slew of maseratis. I suppose that made my 1 1/2 hours wasted not getting a detail worth it.

18. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm sorry but I'm one of those nasty ****s that don't believe in replicar and all I have to say is that your replicar is not similar to a real F-40. You have a $1,500 Fiero and you cannot compare it to or say it is similar to a $350,000 F-40. I don't make much money in my profession, but I invested wisely and bought a real Ferrari which at the time cost as much as I made in that year. I recently sold it and one day I will buy another one, but a replicar would never be a option because Ferrari's are a work of art and they should not be duplicated. To me Ferrari ownership is a gift given to a person and for me it will probably only be the one time. Have fun with your Fiero, but don't put the Ferrari embalms on it leave the Pontiac ones on.

19. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    Nice to see your opinion ... opinion noted. However it has cutouts for Ferarri emblems and I really don't have a practical choice. Yes, i could patch and fill those spots and then drill new pontiac holes and buy new emblems for it .. but it really isn't a Pontiac anymore then it is a Ferarri. It uses a Pontiac frame but it is a replicar in reality.

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Well, it's not a Ferrari either, and frankly it's much more of a Pontiac than a Ferrari. I would suggest either putting the Pontiac badges back on, or making some of your own design.

Or maybe the maker of the kit has some with their own logo? That would be the most honest.

21. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #221 MarkPDX, Dec 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    yea they are nifty, and nothing more. honestly those look really dumb

23. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #223 MarkPDX, Dec 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Geez...... I dunno if I would do it but I thought it was pretty cool that the guy had two identical blacked out 360s with the custom emblems......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    he should get his neck broken....

25. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    Customs emblems is not a bad idea .. that I could live with. Wonder where one might find those? The Fiero hood has a ligh in back of the emblem which makes it glow when the headlights are on. I could do some sort of really gcool see through design or something.