My newly acquired F40 replica | FerrariChat

My newly acquired F40 replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F40 replica guy, Dec 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    This last Tuesday I picked up an old beat up F40 replica from a local dealer. The paint has small bubbles all over it from a previous crappy paint job (presumably). The interior isn't bad as it only has 33k on it, but someone has put what appears to be shoe polish all over the inside to make it red. They didn't have a very steady hand as it seems to have gotten on other parts of the car where it shouldn't be. The dash and so forth is obviously that of a Fiero and in actuality I like it MUCH better than what comes in the F40's originally. On the outside the tire/wheel combo is like an old 70's deep dish muscle car wheel that has lost a couple of the paste on Ferrari center caps ... The lugs nuts are a bit rusty as well. The rear pipes that are normally in an F40 are there but only as a decoy .. they are not attatched to an actual pipe of any sort ... and they are rusty to a mild degree. The heat seems to be disconnected somewhere and the windows roll down very slowly if at all sometimes. The headliner has some white powder around the sunroof that I am assuming is old dried up mold... fortunately not too extensive. The E-brake was disconnected and the speedometer didn't work. The radiator steamed for the first couple times I started it but then stopped. The dorrs rubbed against the body kit when opened fully and the antennae (sp?) also rubs against the hood. There isn't a louvered plastic deal over the back window/engine compartment like there is on the original and there is an empty gap where there would be an air intake near the side windows on each side. In the front there is only 1 set of headlights instead of 2 (why would they put 2 anyhow .. makes no sense) I have the recessed headlights not the flip up ones. It did have a fancy sticker there where the headlights pretended to be.

All of this grandeur I got for $6500 and $55 for registration. What I started with was the bad part now I will explain the good part. it is a fairly good representation of what the F40 looks like. It also does not have the F40 molded into the back wing thingie but that is really tacky anyhow I think. I have over 130 pictures of most every angle you can think of for real F40's and it is truly amazing how well this was done. The paint is easily fixed as it is in the shop getting turned to Ferrari Fly Yellow right now( I was told that's what F-yellow is called) .. whatever it is called it is becoming Ferrari yellow. The interior is being completely redone with new vinyl/carpet(full drop in black rubber base)/custom built leather seats(black and ferarri yellow)/headliner/dash colors and all plastic colors are being stripped and redone in black. The doors have already been adjusted and no longer hit the body. The body completely lines up everywhere else and looks great. I am having a piece of dark plexi installed where the air vent by the side window would be but it will be deep so you would have to actually stick your head down there by the vent to even notice it isn't a real vent. I have had to custom order wheels and tires due to the extreme width of the body kit, the hubs sit REALLY far back. Boyd Coddington custom wheels are building them specifically for me now. All the mechanical has been fixed and the only thing I won't be doing right away is the chrome tailpipe rust problem, as I have run out of money.
    So in the end I will have a very accurate, minus the few issues I mentioned before, reproduction of a fine Italian automobile. It will have street dependability, more than enough speed for wherever I am going... which is not to the track, very comfortable interior and a very rare exotic look for a total of $11,000 (a friend of mine is painting the car for basically cost of paint and materials but he has been in the biz for 25 years).

What am I missing that is not on the original:

Bragging rights ( I can brag that my car looks very nice and is the only one like it in my entire state)

a debit to my bank account of $400K+ ( I like spending $11k better than $400k)

Can't race it on a track .. successfully ( Track racing doesn't appeal to me in the least ... I am not much of a gearhead really)

a few details are not exact ( no one in Oregon has probably ever driven one and I am pretty sure close to 100% of the people in this state have never seen one in person .. so they would never know)

I don't get the Ferarri sound ( I am bummed about that actually )

an engine that goes over 200MPH ( I don't want to go 100MPH let alone 200MPH I have 4 kids and I enjoy my life )

I have the probability of being mocked by folks creative enough to buy a Caddilac Escalade ... like 200,000 other creative people.

While I understand some people here hate replicas, I ask you , what is it you want a Ferarri for? I think when it boils down to it you want the Italian styling and Bragging rights. Certainly when you have the authentic thing these are yours to have and I don't blame you for wanting them... but realize that my replica will be the ONLY Ferarri-type car that many people in Oregon will ever see and it will make their day. They will be talking about it for weeks and years that they saw an F40 going down the street. It will not only brighten my day to answer questions about my car (and yes I tell people it is a replica) but it will brighten others days to watch what they think to be a Ferarri going down the road. Pictures wil be taken and accidents will occur while gawking.

Now my big question is do I replace the emblems I took off with real F-emblems. These old ones were crappy plastic things that were all faded and nasty. I was actually mocked when bringing the car from the previous owner straight to the paint shop, by some kids in a honda LOL. When it is done though it will look very good ... but there will be emblem spots and if I followed the suggestion of some on this board I would forego the poser emblems and just say it is a "car" not a F-car. I would have some pretty silly looking empty emblem spots there ... what is your suggestion?

p.s... this post was NOT scanned for typoes and will most assuredly have many of them :)

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I have a feeling you're not going to like the comments people post to your thread...

3. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    I don't like pretense ... people who pretend to buy Ferarris for some reason other than the attention or exotic look, they are not fully telling the truth. I got this car for the exotic look and I suppose for the degree of attention it might garner. I think we both get the same result. Would I do this in Florida or california where people see exotics regularly... heck no! But in Oregon I am pretty safe from scrutiny except by a small handful of folks.

4. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Do they have popcorn in China?
    I can ship you some....

Oh, and how about some pics of this car?

5. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    Pics will be posted not this next monday but the following. I should have the interior done by then and it will be ready to roll :)

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I have plenty. I can get more in Tokyo tomorrow, too.

7. seinfeld

seinfeld Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2004
    Diamond Bar/Cali
    Full Name:
    Gary
    i can't wait to see your pics! :) ...I can't quite be enthusiastic as you, but I truly hope your f40 is up to par as to a real F40.

be sure to post up alot of pics of the engine, body, etc.

8. sobe

sobe Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2005
    LA/Miami
    also make sure the pictures are high resolution ,

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ummmmm.......

nevermind.

10. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    #10 Dino 208gt4, Dec 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. JJJJJS

JJJJJS Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Which dealer did you buy it from? There are a couple F40's around the Portland area. I know Ron Tonkin owns one and there's another one kicking around somewhere. Enjoy your new car.

12. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    #12 JSinNOLA, Dec 12, 2005
    Hey, why don't you grab a camera phone and snap 2 or 3 preliminary shots to satiate our desire to see the car? Then just post higher quality ones when you get around to it.

Now, if only this thread were an airplane...:D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    NO....!

14. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Thread hi-jack:
    1) Where has your avatar gone?
    2) I almost bought a Urraco

15. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    If you wanted to avoid scrutiny, why did you post about it on a board of Ferrari owners?

Looking forward to the pictures, especially the shoe polished interior ;)

16. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    Knew what it wasn't but was trying to be...I admire your candour but I think you will find that MANY people know what they are looking at when they see an F40. It is quite a common poster. If your ferrari is REAL you get enough bad comments alone. I hope that yours is a good copy and I hope you can handle the comments which will probably come. I have however only seen one decent replica of an F40 but it sold for A LOT more than yours did. It was in Australia I think. The best of luck.

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Its cool man. Enthusiasm for Ferraris is more important than $$$$$ :)

Congrats on your new toy

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Ditto.

None the less this should be moved to "Other Cars"

19. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Love to see it--post pics when you can!!!!

20. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    agree

21. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Replicars don't make my day when I see one going down the street and the only reason I talk about it is because I think they are a joke. Whats even more crazy to me is that you would invest $11,000 into a Fiero and brag about it. I'm one of those people that don't like Ferrari and Lambo wanna-be.

22. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    agree wholeheartedly w/ william....a good friend of mine, a fella f-chatter owns a beautiful F40. it's a constant object my envy.... congrats and enjoy your new car, brian.

23. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    theres a KIT CAR forum out there , no offense but....why dont you post there and hang with your peers ? not sure i understand why you would post here, do you think you would get respect from this group? lol yea ..

its like going to a professional model forum, and say " i have a really cute blow up doll"

if you get a kit car get something like this pic below , something not trying to be something it aint!

24. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    #24 MDshore348, Dec 12, 2005
  25. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    My oppinnion and I would almost dare to generealize that the reason why replicas arent liked is the fact that they are trying to be something that they aren't. People never tend to like things that aren't what they look like and are trying to be something else, dosen't matter if its concerning cars, people or companies.

Please post some pics, and please do not put Ferrari badges on it, that way you wont have to live in a lie.

Nevertheless, I congrat you on your car that you are so excited about.

MDshore348, that is a nice looking kit car in my oppinnion.