TR Recreation for sale- vintage eligible? | FerrariChat

TR Recreation for sale- vintage eligible?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by EC308, Dec 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    #1 EC308, Dec 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Probably at some events, and not at others.

I know at the BRIC at Elkhart Lake, WI they rarely turn away cars. As a matter of fact I know they have allowed a recreation of a trans-am Boss Mustang built by a fater and son out of a junkyard wreck.

3. nunojcmaia

nunojcmaia Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    porto - portugal
    Full Name:
    nuno maia
    It may be an exact recreation and 99% of people can't see it's a replica, but a really v12 ferrari has to be destroyed to give parts to build this car. I can't agree with this!

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Wonder if JS wants to say anything about this car...

5. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    It IS amazing that this is being described as an exact replica of 0666, the first 250 TR prototype.

0666 was built on a 290 MM chassis, which among other things is RHD. The replica is LHD, probably because it is likely built on a cut 250 GTE chassis.

This is a replica of a 500 TRC with a V12 engine and the hood bulge of the type used on the four cam sports cars (290/315/335). It is in no way an accurate replica of 0666 TR at any point in its life. For that matter, as all TRCs were RHD as well, it's not a good replica of one of those either.

There are vintage racing groups which accept replicas (too many for my taste, but that's me).

O.G., a former TRC owner

6. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    It sure is beautiful, nomatter what.

7. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    #7 George J., Dec 5, 2005
    It may be a replica of 0660 not 0666. Photos' of the TR prototype (0666) and 500TRC (0660) below from Barchetta.com It may be pretty, however I doubt Steve Earle is going to send an invited and I doubt CSRG would welcome it either. Could be religated to Ferrari track days. - George
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Extremely correct, yet the steering wheel is on the wrong side?

Hang on folks, this one is going to get ugly...

9. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Hi, Erik,

No, I've learned never to argue with experts, particularly one armed with the reprint of Joel Finn's famous book. (As an aside, with the reprint, I'd probably sell my signed original if anyone's interested.) After all, a 290 MM body and TRC body are identical, aren't they? They're both kinda lumpy, with vents behind the wheels, a headrest, etc. I doubt that David Cottingham would know the difference either.

This did get me to digging in a big box of old photos I have put away, and that almost brought the evening to a halt. I did find a couple of photos which might actually be on topic in this thread. (I also found some photos of an old four-cylinder I owned, which I started to post as a "what is it?" BryanP would have too much of an advantage.)

This was taken in 1991. I had just been released from a hospital after a major life-saving operation and a long recuperation. I was at an FCA meet, and a good friend, the late Barry Tillman, asked me if I wanted to drive his car. The car, as you'll see, was a David Cottingham replica of a TRC with a V12 engine, built on a GTE chassis. (Don't accuse me of refusing to even drive a replica.) It was simply identified by David and Barry as a replica of a TRC -- I guess neither knew it was a perfect duplicate of 0666. (And of course, Erik, you know 0666 is owned by a friend of mine.)

Finding the photo brought back memories of a very good time. I've blocked out my face, as I think there are certain minimum standards here, and I'd hate to violate them. No need to identify the other guy, either -- he's just some other old guy who was celebrating my recovery with me, and who made the weekend very special. He did mutter something about knowing a little about these cars, but then, you know, everybody's an expert.

O.G., in his dotage, heading down memory lane....

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You know O.G. you have taught me a lot about these things (and a bit about life in general, and you thought I was only drinking coffee in your basement).

I know that you know the current owner of 0666 well, as well as the two previous owners. I've only been fortunate to sit at a lunch table with him before and I doubt he would recognize me (mind you I did look a bit like his old boss when I still wore glasses, or so I've been told).

I'm not going to accuse you of turning any rides down, didn't you also own a Maser Biturbo once? ;)

No need to block out your face, you're no uglier than the rest of us.

Karen says hi and we wish you all the best during the holidays. We're moving back to AL and not NJ. I want to slow down a bit and smell the roses before I get too old and regret not doing it earlier. As such, maybe I can make it over that way more often.

Take care my friend.

11. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    #11 Old Guy, Dec 6, 2005
    BiTurbo? Not me, I mean, not really, er, that is, well, OK, sorta, but not under my real name or something. We once calculated that if the warranty work done on that car (admittedly one of the first) was done at retail, it would have exceeded the sticker price of the car.

Thanks to both of you for the wishes. I've got a couple of weeks to relax a bit, and frankly I think I need it. We'll talk one of these days. And now that I've found this one box of photos, I may post a few as I have time. They're all prints, and our scanner isn't working, but a digital photo of the prints seems to work OK.

O.G.

(And I've reattached the photo which somehow I managed to edit out)

12. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    "exact replica" ??? Are you joking ???

Your TR is one of five or six replica made by DK Engineering many years ago, based on poor 250 GT 2+2.

The ugly body looks much more like a 500 TR-C but, as the replica is fitted with the V12's donor car, the owners often say they have a 250 TR replica.

Sorry but NOTHING to do with 0666 (which don't have its original body BTW)

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Hell it ain't. It is a lousy replica and it would take a boatload of money to convert into something that could fool anyone!!! They (DK-Engineering) built a series of 10 taking many, many shortcuts killing real cars in the process of doing so!

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    sooo, I should be concerned if my "TR" has cup holders?

you owned a four banger?? next you're going to tell me you drove around in 0590MD!! (wink) by all means post it, post it!

more pics please, Old Guy

15. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    It's ironic that David Cottingham races a genuine 500TRC, s/n 0682MDTR.......or maybe his own car was the only one he could copy the body from.

But why would anybody want a 500/250TRC, when they could get a 250TR from Neil Twyman that IMHO looks a lot better (don't know about the engineering side, though Doug Nye is a fan)?

Paul M

16. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    #16 Old Guy, Dec 7, 2005
    Thread Hi-Jack in progress...sorta.

OK, Bryan (and others):

The first set of photos is of pieces of an engine I owned. Somewhere there is also a photo of the case and cams standing upright on a bench, but I didn't find that one. So: (1) What is it? (2) What is the serial number? (3) Where was this taken? (REAL extra credit, but it's not that far from Virginia)

The second photo proves that I did drive a four cylinder, long, long ago. OK, Bryan, which one? (There is a subtle clue in the photo)

The third photo: I had another engine which wasn't a V12 either....

Fourth photo: For the poster who isn't sure I know TRs. This is Alan Boe, Phil Hill, and me judging TRs at FF40 in Brussels in 1992.

And Macca, I agree. I've always thought that David copied his own car, as it was one he had consistently available.

O.G.

17. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Exactly accurate or not, the replica in the original pics is a damn good looking machine and I bet tons of fun to drive.

I would love to own such a car! Any links to more info? Whats the asking price?

I think such replicas are great. There are plenty of GTE's and such still out there and there always will be. But unless your Bill Gates or such, owning a real version of such a car is simply not possible. But, owning a car that is extremely close to the real thing but has a GTE id plate would allow one to experience such a car at a realistic price. I could care less if the f-car snobs of the world want to turn their noses up at it as a lowly replica.....

The problem is that such replicas see to now be priced beyond reason as well!

Terry

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    hmmm - let me get to work on those!

one minor note from a post above - I think the "C" in 500 TRC is a reference to Appendix C of the FIA rules in that year that mandated the changes to the sports racers like the windscreen, etc.

19. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Is that the works fuel-injected 'half a P4' Dino engine I see there, OG? Nice!

Paul M

20. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    0600MDTR for #2? where's the windscreen - and what's with the mirror?

21. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Maybe a 206SP, judging from the color of the wheels?

KevFla

22. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    #22 Old Guy, Dec 7, 2005
    Bryan,

Right on 0600. The pontoon fender should be a giveaway. These photos were taken in 1978 or '79, long before the car's current restoration. It didn't have a windscreen then, and did have the popular Talbot mirror. This is another picture from the same day -- it's distorted at the bottom from trying to photograph a large print with a digital camera.

Still can't find the engine block/case photo, but it was a big'un.

O.G.

(There are some interesting cars in the background of this photo, including an LM winner.)

23. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Kevin,

You're right (as is Macca). It's a 206 SP, with the four-cam three valve "half a P4" engine. One car I wish I'd never sold.

24. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    I was just asking if car was vintage eligible. There is many pics and description on pro-auto.com

25. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #25 Horsefly, Dec 7, 2005
    Terry, here's an ID plate for your replica. And I agree. If those replicas are so "bad", I'll take one off anybody's hands for a few thousand.