400i Daily Driver in the Snow | FerrariChat

400i Daily Driver in the Snow

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aleventhal, Dec 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #1 aleventhal, Dec 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well - it gets crazier. Since I have to wait for my Boxer motor to be rebuilt before my mechanic (the world renound and incomparable Bill Pollard :) ) can rebuild my 400 motor to resolve an oil buring issue, I have just been driving it that way and adding oil (it is my daily driver after all). Yesterday, I got my first chance at drivng it in the snow (and salt). On bald TRXs it was quite a challange getting moving and going up hill (even with just an inch or two on the ground) but I have ordered a set of 328 wheels from the UK and a set of Blizzaks from the tire rack, so it should do much better as soon as they arrive - with four snows I think it should actually be pretty good. Anyway, here are some pics - hope you all find them amusing.

Alex Leventhal
    Dino #10704
    365BB #18265
    400i #049773
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You are a MAD man. I LOVE IT!!!!

Sweet pics by the way. They really put you in the Christmans spirit.

3. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    WOW!!! AWESOME! and I am over here afraid to drive my lowly MB in the snow.
    Erik

4. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    I think those are beautiful pics of a car the looks of which I have always admired...congrats, well done!!

Chris

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I did that once with the 365, perfect car if you like to go sideways...

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The new tires will make a huge, huge difference. Even though the TRX tires might look like snow tires with their blocky tread, they get pretty hard when they get old and being nearly bald doesn't help matters any. The auto will probably help control wheelspin and you might be surprised how well the big fiat does.

I had a Mercedes that was undrivable in 2 inches of snow with the summer tires. When I put 4 real snow tires on it I felt that I could go most anywhere, including up to ski country in Vermont. Tires made a tremendous difference between spinning uselessly and actually moving forward.

Rock on, Alex!

John

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I dare you to put a ski rack on the trunk.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I would still stay away from salted roads followed by a warm garage. It would probably melt right in front of your eyes.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    By the way, I love the color.

marrone?

10. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Alex

What size and version (concave or convex) are the 328 wheels that you have ordered? Do they just bolt on or do you need to do something to adjust the offset?

Just curious because I have never heard that 328 wheels work on the 400i. I haven't heard that they don't either.

John

11. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    love the plate.

12. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Well, it probably will melt - and I am prepared to accept that. Actually, I believe they were using zincrox in 84 (although I don't know how much protection that provides) and the floors are fiberglass, so it may live longer than we might imagine. Either way, my plan is to drive it until it is no longer road worthy, which should be a relatively long time since the frame is unlikely to rust and the body is not structural. I will keep the list informed! If I only have 4 tires and some leather left by spring, so be it. :)

Alex

13. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Yes, it is Marrone, and it is my absolute first choice color for a 400. Thanks for the kind words - I love it to.

Alex

14. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    John:

I am going with the non-abs 328 wheels. Here is what I know for certain:

-308qv wheels (orig or repop) bolt on a 400i with a 15mm spacer using the original wheel bolts
    -non-abs 328 wheels should be a direct swap for qv wheels in any application, except that on 308s the center caps do not fit unless the spindle dust cap is modified

So, my hope is that the 328 wheels will bolt right on, and the 15mm spacer should prevent any dust cap issues a la 308. That being said, it is a risk - i will let the list know for certain when i do - one way or the other. By the way, I went with the 328 wheels not for style but because REAL 328 wheels are available from F of the UK for LESS than repop qv wheels. Seemed a no brainer to buy real over fake.

Thanks,

Alex

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The very first Ferrari I ever rode in was that color. I was 14.

16. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I just switched my Mazda RX-8 to Blizzaks. Used these tires last season and performed great..... you are really going to like them. I love to see SUV drivers' faces when I go about them on packed snow in a sports coupe.

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Beautiful car, beautiful setting.
    Ferraris always look their best to me when in use rather than on a show field. To me your elegant 400i braving the spectacular winter roads is far more impressive and beautiful than any pristine Testarossa at Concourso Italiano.

18. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You never forget your first one, especially if you were 14!

John

19. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Very cool, I am interested in hearing about how it all works out. Do you know off the top of your head what the tire section size is for the 328 using summer tires? Don't do any research if you don't know right off, I can do it later when I have more time! :)

John

20. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    John:

You can not use the 328 sized tires for a 400 (205/55-16 front and 225/50-16 rear) - the diameter will be off. However, it is perfectly possible to buy high quality summer tires that will fit the 328 wheels (or winter tires), keep the same width as the trxs and also come very close on the rolling diamter. The stock 400 trx is 240/55-415. You can run either a 245/50-16 (about 6% smaller rolling diameter) or 235/60-16 (about 1% larger rolling diameter) on the 328 wheels for summer tires without a problem, as anything within 10% is considered acceptable as this is within the manufacturing tolerance anyway. As said before, 308qv wheels would also work just fine in this scenario. For winter go a little narrower - I am going to go for 225s for winter. As an additional data point, as the 400 does not use staggered front/rear tire sizes, I have bought 4 328 FRONT wheels (7") so that I will be able to rotate the wheels/tires. Best bet is to check your speedo accuracy before you choose tires - if your speedo is a little fast (as most f cars speedos are) go with the slightly taller 235/60s as this will slighly improve as opposed to exacerbate the problem.

Thanks,

Alex

21. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    great shots. thnx for the updates, keep 'em comin'

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alex,

Great picture! I love the soot deposits on the snow behind the exhausts!

Good luck with the snow. I bought pirelli 210 snowsports for my M3 (on ebay no less) they made a world of difference.

Regards,

Art S.

23. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Alex

Thanks! Great information!

John

24. jonathan70

jonathan70 Rookie

Feb 25, 2005
    From a non F-car owner who has been lurking here since I began looking for my favorite Ferrari (a 400A) in early 2004, I'd like to say "thanks" for USING a Ferrari as a car and for SHARING the experience.

As much as I enjoy the "I broke my ___ / I rebuilt my ____" technical discussions... it is much more interesting to hear about driving a Ferrari than hearing tales of fixing one.

You have a beautiful car, I admire your decison to use it daily, and I look forward to your updates to allow me vicariously experience life with a 400A.

25. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Jonathon:

Thank you truly for the kind words. I have owned Ferraris for about ten years before I got this crazy idea (I have two others that are not put into this type of service) but I just though that life was too short no to drive one of these things every day. Go get yourself one and use it! Tell the truth, the car seems happier the more use it gets, and this entire car cost less than my former daily driver audi a8l depreciated in a year, so the downside is greatly limitied. Good luck on your search and thanks again,

Alex