Most Excellent Motorized Vehicle as a Kid? | FerrariChat

Most Excellent Motorized Vehicle as a Kid?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by venusone, Nov 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Mini-bike, go-kart, etc? What got you started with a need for speed? I was 13 when I saved up my weeding & carwashing $ & bought a Honda Minitrail 50. Rode that bad boy through the hills of CA & pine forests of GA forever. It was the best! What about you?

2. ferrarigtofan

ferrarigtofan Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    USA
    Started at age nine with a 5hp go cart, upgraded the engine to 8hp and removed the govenor. Eventually moved up to a dune buggy, 8HP. Our parents would not allow motorcycles so a group of neighborhood kids got together and we purchased a dirt bike that we hide in the woods and had chained to a tree. Where we use to ride is now tracts of houses.

3. Stolit

Stolit Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    La Habra Heights, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Go-kart was my first motorized vehicle. I don't remember how much HP...all I remember is that I crashed it into a few things (it survived), it did good donuts, and it drifted nicely on the dirt areas of my yard. I was about ten-ish.

Sold it to some other neighborhood kids after the nice grass of our backyard's upper section began to look like an oval dirt track. I miss that thing. It was fun.

4. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    At 13 or so I got a honda passport motorcycle, 70 cc it could go 60 which my mom found me doing throughout our neigborhood.

5. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mine was a Yamaha DT125 Dual Sport that definately needed an engine rebuild, but it worked for me. Eventually every kid in our neighborhood had something, so I drove off road gokarts, little 5 hp gokarts, 3 hp mini bike, YZ80, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, and if there were five wheelers, we would have had one of those too;). We took the governer off of the 5 hp go kart and threw a rod through the block. Sprayed hot oil all over the back of the kid who was driving it. Before it went though, we were out passing cars that were going 30-35 mph. Dangerous, but we were 12 or 13. That was a B&S and we switched to a Tecumsah which turned out to better anyways. Some of the huge powerlines ran through our neighborhood, so we rode in the fields under those and those took us out into the woods that went forever. We could easily go 30 miles on the trails back there.

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Bought my cousins used Honda XR75 when I was about 10--all the good ole days..

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    My twin nephew and niece are a bit spoiled. He's got the Jeep Wrangler, and she's got the Barbie Lambo.

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    JC Penny Briggs & Stratton powered minibike at 12 years old. I noticed the head gasket was very thick so I removed it and checked the piston to valve clearance without it. No problem there, so I substituted Permatex for the gasket and substantially raised the compression ratio. I hand ported the very rough head, and replaced the muffler with a straight pipe.
    With the mods it would go over 50 mph.

9. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    home made mini bike, with a lawn mower engine.... also like to add, i smashed it up . i ran into a fence , this was before i knew better and realized i should of been leaning into the turns...

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had a Trail 70! What fun! :D

11. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    bicycle 5-17years. drivers license. 1 year of boring cars. evo.

it was worth the wait, noting like having to SLOW down to merge onto the freeway, because it'll do 100 at the end of the onramp. and i dont have any tickets, yet ;) and i write the check every month for it, i wish i was spoiled

12. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    How does one satisfy the need for speed on a Trail 50?

13. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    By riding down a cliff.

14. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    when i was 13 i bought a 250cc kawasaki dirt bike coz i lived in the outback and needed to get around. i was like 4 feet tall and couldn't straddle it so i'd prop myself up with one leg, push up vertical and nail it!

15. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    We could have been so lucky!

16. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #16 CMY, Nov 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. shiznut123

shiznut123 Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Hmmmmm, I never had enough money as a child to buy anything motorized. It was just bikes, but I had a blast on them.

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I had a go-cart with a 5hp Kohler motor on it. I remember making a figure 8 track in the snow in my parents and the adjoining neighbors driveway. I learned a lot about oversteer and understeer driving that go cart on the ice and snow covered track I made.

19. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Yep, thats the one! Mine was blue. That little thing would climb any hill if you got your ctr of gravity low enough. How about those fold-down handlebars? My biggest struggle was how to get it into our stationwagon so I could ride wherever we went to visit. It weighed 110 lbs & I weighed 75. I would roll it up a 2x8 then lay it down. I can't believe my parents let me do the things I did.

20. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    haha that looks like a postie bike! me and my bro had one when we were like 10, what a piece of crap it was!

21. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    what's wrong with alex winter? didn't u ever see lost boys?

22. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    I turboconverted a ATV when I was 14 years old...before that I had all kinds of mini bikes and stuff.....and yeah I bought them by hard work, I wasn´t spoiled.

23. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I started out on a YZ 80. My toys got more powerful as I got taller. I then got a KE 175 (no power) then an ATC 185S. Then a KZ 500 (air) which got traded for a 1985 Tecate (liquid). I then sold the Tecate after riding a 1985 Honda 250R, which was and shall forever remain the absolute pinnacle of ATV design.

Many years later I bought an MX 470 and a Summit 670.

So yeah, there's some speed metal in there somewhere.

24. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Bought my cousins old 2wheeler motorbike (something japanese don't remember now I don't have it anymore and no pics) and my grandfather had and gave me his old scooter as well which I sold off a few years back-wasn't italian or japanese. I still have his second scooter its slower and heavier than the last one and again is american.

Lawn mowers starting at around age 10 with briggs straton engines and regular visits to the local go kart tracks.

25. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Well i have my bike. Ha ive had that thing up to 35 mph on flat ground.