[Exige] or [S2000 & MINI Cooper S] | FerrariChat

[Exige] or [S2000 & MINI Cooper S]

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Ducati998S, Oct 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ducati998S

Ducati998S Karting

Aug 19, 2005
    Lutherville, MD
    Which would you rather spend $56k on?
    Let's assume you have already have an SUV that you can haul stuff in ... and could be a daily driver.

Would you rather have a Lotus Exige (choose expensive Elise if you prefer) in your garage for fun weekend use .. or .. would you rather have a Honda S2000 AND a MINI Cooper S?

Is it better to have one great handling Lotus or 2 great handling cars (one RWD, one FWD) that can serve different purposes?

(and yeah -- I know it's a weird question)

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Planning on tracking the car? If so, then go with the Exige, otherwise, there's no need to get one for the street.

I'd take the other two fun cars, but that's just me.

3. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    S2K and a Civic Type R...i'm not a fan of the mini.

4. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Get Exige / Elise!
    It'll turn more heads

5. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    I guess it depends on if you have another car to daily drive. You certainly can't daily drive the Exige/Elise. If you do have a DD, then Exige. If not then S2K and something else. I am not a fan of the mini at all, so maybe a WRX, Rx-8, SiR, or look to the used luxury market.

6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it depends if you are going to the track or not...if you tracking it, go for th lotus, if you want a fun weekend and going out car, go for something else...i think its silly to buy two cars serving the same purpose...for 55k , you could buy a used 911cab or a new c6 cab or ferrari 348, or a new boxster s cab or a new m3, etc..............

7. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    The Exige would be out of the question as a road car, primarily because of the lack of rearward visibility. Of the two, the Elise would be the only realistic choice, provided you're willing to put up with the laughingly long list of quality, repairability and reliability issues, not to mention lousy resale value.

However, if you're just looking for well-engineered, reliable cars which are also great fun to drive, the S2000 and Mini are both excellent choices. So these two would be my answer to your weird question!

8. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    nice......i've seen many Mini's schooling Civics at auto-x's..........

get the S2K and Mini Cooper S, track one and auto-x the other :)

9. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree. I think with the Exige you could also turn some pretty fast laps if you know how to drive.

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I would get an newish Elise for like 40k and a brand new mini for the wife.

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It depends on cash. If you can afford the Lotus, buy it. The mini won't even come close. And if you're just bombing around in the city, the S will kill you off the line. Other than that the Honda should be good.

12. Ducati998S

Ducati998S Karting

Aug 19, 2005
    Lutherville, MD
    Just ordered myself an Exige. Too many fruity looking people driving MINIs around here. I don't want to be part of that scene.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the Lotus is not a total POS.

13. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Details man! details!!

Congrats! Good choice.

14. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    It definitely won't be a POS. But, if you're lucky, it also won't be a POJ. Now the wait begins! :)

15. Ducati998S

Ducati998S Karting

Aug 19, 2005
    Lutherville, MD
    Ordered one in Ardent Red. I was contemplating yellow (true Lotus color), but I just like the red better. Got LSD w/ Traction Control (it can be turned off) and got the Touring Package too (power windows and basic carpets). Car should be built in December -- Delivery in February - May (no idea, really). Paying MSRP.

I don't feel like I did the "smart thing" by ordering it, but I know I'm more than a little excited to get it.

I can see myself keeping it for 20 years or for 3 months. If I didn't do it, I'd have to live with the "what if". I'd rather make a mistake than always regret that I didn't get one when I had the chance.

I can always get a Z4 M Coupe or Cayman S if the Exige turns out to be a total nightmare. I'm pretty aware of what I'm getting into & I think I can deal with the issues of Lotus ownership.

Now I'm just hoping that Lotus doesn't send too many Exiges to the U.S. I'd like the car to be somewhat limited.

16. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'd take the honda and mini. Cheaper/easier to own and maintain plus you'd get to have two cars both of which are excellent. You could also get a porsche boxster with this setup.