Finally did it!! (bought a Duc) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Finally did it!! (bought a Duc)

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Dave328, Oct 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Lucky DUCK ;)

2. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.

i can't tell if youre kidding or not, but he takes alot of rediculously high quality pictures. stuff that blows away an magazine photography that i've ever seen

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Heh, Richard and I love to give each other a hard time. His artistic skills reach far beyond photography!

But beware, the 'hottest' lens can only be handled by one who is shielded from the flames:D (inside joke)

4. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    About how much do Ducati's cost?

5. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Depends...

You looking for a cruiser of sorts(with bite), round town beast, or a track bike?

Brand new? Used? Condition? etc...

6. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Dexter, MI USA
    Full Name:
    Craig Kenfield
    You can get an early-mid '90s SS model for about $3500. Had one, loved it, would like to buy another someday. Or you can spend $30k+ on a limited edition Superbike (Just guessing, I haven't checked 999R prices lately). Or anything in between.

But that's just the cost of admission. Once you start modifying it, the sky's the limit.

7. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think the last article I saw where they put a 999R up against the GSXR1000, the 999R was 32k.

In regards to the post earlier about cost of admission, just to give you an idea: Ducati factory chain for a 1998 748 is ~$200 where as the top of the line aftermarket chains are in the $60 - $80 range. Ducati factory brake handle, $70, aftermarket copy on ebay, $19. I've been lucky enough to have parts that have gone bad or been broken be available from the aftermarket, but you can see the price difference when you have to purchase factory parts.

8. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    congrats for gettin' off da' pot! Be sure and post pics when you get it.

9. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    cost to buy or cost to have? if you can get used parts, and do the work yourself, the cost to have is decreased, if not it is much more. lots of new/used 748/916 parts around. I bought a bottom end for my 916 for $500 the cost for a new one ???? ebaymotors and clubdesmo.com for used parts. even if you don't ride it, it is still italian art to look at.

10. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    ZING! It's like the sword in the stone :D :D

Dave,

I think you'll like my new polaroid....I upgraded from that disposable APS crap finally! :)

11. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    WHEW! It's about time!! I thought that was you on CNN 8 weeks ago sprinting across Canal St! :) :D

Dave

12. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Oh man I wasn't thinking about getting one, just curious.

The price range was what I was looking for, thanks DesmoDog

13. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The time is fast approaching. The dealer is closed today, but does anybody know if it's possible to track (locate) a bike through the dealer, a-la-Ferrari? I'm starting to get that "little kid before Xmas" syndrome! :D My Icon jacket and gloves are on the way and I'm going to Houston to try on some helmets this weekend.(Oh yeah, and to visit the wife also ;) :D)

Dave

14. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I finally got her today!! All I can say is "WOW, HOLY $#IT!!!" I drove straight to Houston today, and am heading back in a few minutes with her tied down in a back of a truck. I have taken pics on my new 2.0 Meg cameraphone, but I haven't figured out how to download them. I'll post a full picture catalog with the good camera on Sunday!

Dave

15. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Congrats Dave. The 800 is a great bike, very capable and comfy. A buddy of mine has one and loves it. In fact six of us rode up to Monterrey this year for the USGP on Ducatis and it was a perfect bike for him to ride . We put on over a thousand miles during the trip, and the 800 just ate the miles up.
    Enjoy. Darrell.

16. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Awesome acquisition.

17. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    HELL YES!

Must see pics. Heck, I am moving back to New Orleans on Tuesday. Let's grab a bite sometime this week :D

18. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice choice, I have been thinking of an S2R for a little while now. The 748 my become a track only bike soon.

19. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks!
    The bike is FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!! Very smooth linear power. It does feel like the front end just wants to kiss the sky when you get on it! ;) I've only been able to put about 10 miles on it so far, but I plan on riding it to work tomorrow and as long as weather permits.

I still can't figure out how to download from my friggin' phone. :mad: My buddy Richard wants to take some pics, so if I don't get this stupid camera phone sorted out, I'll get some of his. It's pretty well known that Richard takes some awesome professional quality pics. :D

Dave

20. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah

I own and parilia and all my friends think the Ducatis and Aprilias are overated crap as well. They always tell me to get a Kawasaki or some other type of Japanese bike that 2 billion other people already have. I have this thing for Italian I guess!

21. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
  22. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.

Dave - what a nice looking bike. I'm sure you'll get many happy miles out of her.

Richard - awesome photographs. You certainly are talented.

23. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    It's gorgeous. Love that red. The photos are really dramatic. I think you can submit them to the Ducati website where they will get posted.
    (Just do me a favor and get that tail piece off there- pro italia makes kits for various Ducatis- they should have one to fit yours. It will increase the drama of the rear-end even more).
    Good luck with it, ride safe and enjoy.

24. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    #49 Jimbo49, Dec 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congrats with the bike, duc's are superb bikes!! my friends father had a 748, 998 and and now a 999s with new ecu, exhaust and black powder coated rims. His mate has a Ducati monster 750, which is no where near as quick. However its all about the rider & the confidence and my mates father cannot ride for **** in comparison to his mate with the 750 monster
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh Yeah! That Fugly plastic tail is downright offensive. I wonder how they could slap such an ugly piece on such a beautiful bike. First to do is the tail chop. Then after the break-in is done, a full Arrow exhaust system with carbon cans!
    I still feel like I'm 10 years old on Christmas Day. I'll probably feel like this for a while! ;)

Dave