Mondial owners group buy: center console switch fascia | FerrariChat

Mondial owners group buy: center console switch fascia

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by snj5, Oct 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #1 snj5, Oct 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FChat sponsor Ultimate pedals has offered to make brushed aluminum replacements for both switch fascias that match the shift gate for the Mondial center consoles. As many know, this plastic panel ages, and replacements nonexistant.
    The cost would be about $150 for materials and labor, then whatever tool up costs divided between us. One option would then be to anodize them black if desired.
    If interested pm and I will set it up.
    best
    rt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I don't have that model Mondial, but one thing ALL Mondial owners could use are those custom center vents.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Sorry, I'm in the same boat as Sam, the 8 version has a different console.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #4 snj5, Oct 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, ST Corsa has a few of those billet anodized vents left from the initial run of 40; I just sprung for one of those as mine is bad.

5. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I have a QV and I would love one in black, please count me in!

Chris

6. gmark340

gmark340 Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good idea! I have a Mondial T on the way and would be interested. While the plastic on mine is not bad, it does not fit flush and I can see where it is only a matter of time before it tears or cracks.

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Would be interested for my Mondial t. Mine is starting to lift up.

8. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    If the panels are brushed alum..how does the indicator lights shine through as they do inthe mondial t...I think some kind of carbon fiber panel would look better...I really need a a/c vent for my t from stcorsa..

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Russ, I would be interested....I mean MY WIFE would be interested in this. I am curious about the lights shining through though. Anodized black for sure. Will they fit a QV? (Yours is a 3.2 right? Not sure what the differences are.

Cool set of vents. I NEED those. I mean my wife needs those. I did a search and sent them an e-mail. How much were they?

Birdman

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Bird - you're killin me over here :) - I think the qvs and 3.2 interiors are the same; and I think the switch panel for the t looks identical as well, just in a different place - will check.

NYC - good questions - He said that carbon fiber parts are about 2x the aluminum. JMHO, but the brushed or anodized aluminum matches the period better, at least on the earlier cars. My styling thought was that the brushed aluminum is used on the shift gate, so follow that theme down the tunnel as a little contrast, or anodize it black and it would match the steering wheel. I think I am going with the brushed al look as it is so classic and used in many vintage Ferraris, but may change my mind. The t's might look right with the carbon fiber though being a more modern design.

The indicator lights are the challenge - they can do engraving of the symbols into the metal, but right now the best light option is no lights or a small light dot over the switch to guide you at night knowing which does what. Of course, the A/C buttons are self back-lit.

He said that we could get them anodized ourselves locally, as his cost to anodize would be high, but it is not a big deal and widely available.

Since this is a CNC deal, you may can add some customization - e.g. symbols or not and lighter delete (I'm thinking about this or replacing it with a std. power receptical or a chrome Cavallino).

I'll let this thread percolate a week more, then poll everyone. We will then work the price for so many, then each just deal with them individually. Lean and clean. I just want the part.

best
    rt

11. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    sounds cool.....

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    If the M8 folks want a switch fascia made, what Ultimate Pedals needs is the original switchplate for a day or two which would be returned. the bits needed to do the sharp radiused turns on the panel are the same as the qv/3.2/t's he says, so that helps a little. I imagine the cost would be similar to the same $150 in parts labor and $150 or so split between however many wanted a part.

Just to be complete since no money or commitments have exchanged yet, would there be another competitive vendor, anyone?

best
    ]rt

14. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    Has anyone looked into a replacement stencil-cut plastic sheet (rather than aluminum)? Should be much easier to manufacture, with clear lettering and icons where needed for lighting, and black elsewhere.

15. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    ...or ebony, deep burl maple, or...gasp!...carbon fiber. I'd go for deep burl.

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    While the fascia panels can be made of anything, I am pressing ahead with brushed Aluminum with option to black anodize as a permanent fix. Would be interested in other's ideas and results, though!
    Will send everyone interested an organizational email next week if enough interest.
    thanks!

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    One more appeal for a group by for a CNC billet Aluminum center console switch plate for Mondial qvs and later.
    If interested plz pm me and I'll get with Ultimate pedals and get a group price.
    best

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Gang,

I just replaced my center plate while doing carpets, seats and Ultimate Pedals, in Rachel. The center plate was NOT CHEAP!! If I pop for a change in my cockpit facia, I'd go for Carbon Fiber, as I have a long history with CF - - it's been in the film production world for many years, used in the production of microphone boom poles for the film industry (before becoming "hip" in the auto industry) and it looks cool.

As for the STCorsa AC vent - - - 10 out of 10!!! Easy to install & it works!!! They should do the damn thing out of plastic or whatever, because it changes for the good, all the dynamics of "Mondial Creature Comfort"

Going back to the Lakers/NY game --
    See Ya, Hank

19. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    I would like the front one for a T Cab...but what about the loss of lighting on the switches? NOt a huge deal since I just know what I want by feel but it would be a shame to lose it.

- TCab...

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    OK -
    Sorry for the delay, but I'm back from looking at a 356c project.
    Will be sending out my switch panel for them to look at and do over the holidays - will post specific pricing then.
    I did talk to them about CF, and they said it generally runs 2X of the Aluminum.

So, to summarize, we're looking at an brushed aluminum (like the gear gate)replacement which can be anodized black for the Mondial central switch fascia which looks to fit the Mondial 3.0 QV, 3.2 and T. While it is more durable than the original thin plastic sheet that seems to warp with age, you loose the night back lighting feature.
    I am planning on saving my plastic panel where it does not get damaged for originality for the next owner (right...like I could sell it anyway :) ).

It is looking like below $300 from Ultimate Pedals - if anyone knows of anyone else that could make it more competitively (Hill?) then let me know!

best for happy holidays
    rt

21. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    That is a bit expensive for what is esentially a flat piece of aluminium with a few holes cut in it.

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Update

Before I send the piece out, there is a local furniture shop who is going to quickly turn out a piece of polished cherry wood or deep burl maple as suggested for not much $, and would be interesting to try first before commiting to the aluminum. will post photos and see how it looks.

If the quality looks good, perhaps we could do a wood panel inexpensively for the M8s as well.

best

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Have just found Emachine shop.com
    If we buy in even a small group it may be WAY WAY WAY cheaper. Will measure and get a price. They will also brush and/or anodize if we want to break it into two jobs.

This is one cool site.

24. Michael P. Messina

Oct 13, 2004
    Tampa
    I have a 1988 3.2 and my plastic is cracked. Count me in!

25. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Very interesting! Looking forward to those pics. Do you think it's possible to do the dash fascia as well? Maybe there's not enough plastic trim there to really make a difference.