Wet pavement, F355 & the Street pole | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wet pavement, F355 & the Street pole

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jssans, Oct 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I feel so badly for you that that happened to you. It's just a beautiful car and do whatever it takes to put it back the way it was. Good luck to you.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Sorry to see this happen, just be happy no one was hurt.

BTW, if you're going to post damaged exotic photos, it might be a good idea to copyright the photo so wrecked exotics dot com doesn't exploit it on their site.

3. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I'd recommend Karosserie in King of Prussia, PA for the bodywork. Call Dick at (610) 279-8925. They have tons of Ferrari and other exotic work and are well versed in aluminum. They are expensive, but if insurance is covering it you'll be fine - Dick is great at working with insurance companies. They did beautiful work on my TR. They'll also arrange transport for you if needed.

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Sorry about your car, good luck getting it fixed. I hope its done quickly, well and with minimum hassle.

I remember spinning in my 330 during a drizzle a year ago (NY Fchat witnesses to that one). Another foot of sliding and I would have been in your situation.

I recommend having the work on your car done locally if possible, if not, take it to the closest shop with an excellent reputation and experience with modern Ferraris.

The original owner of my M3 had Karosserie (mentioned above) do the bodywork after an accident, I'm not impressed with the result. The paint on the new fender is poorly matched to the hood and some of the work in the rear quarter was beginning to rust after 2-3 years so I had to have remedial work done.

I didn't deal with them directly nor do I know what kind of customer the previous owner was. I just have the receipts and the car.

Good Luck,

Art S.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    :(
    Sorry to see the damage. What speed would you guess you were going when you lost traction? I will definitely watch my speed as the 348 has a big slide out tendancy even when the pavement is dry.
    BT

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    So sorry to see this happen. I feel for ya man!

7. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Josh, sorry to see the pics and wish you the best with repairs.

8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Ouch! Condolences :(

9. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Ouch, at least it wasn't on the drivers side and no one hurt.

Was it just too much power + the wet road ?

10. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I just visited the scene of the wreck. No skid marks any where to be found. The road was slick as grease. I shifted into 2nd & the back went out. No skid control on the old 355. Power, weight & road conditions all contributed to the outcome. I don’t see it happening the same way in my Honda Element.

11. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

are you a tv repairman?, hahah ;)

12. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Ouch!! Good luck to get everything repaired.

13. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    7k for a bumper, Jesus! This thing is going to get into the 20k range for sure. I was looking at the 355 maintenance CD. There are quit a few body pieces put together in the back panel that work their way up to the roof. When looking at the car you could swear all these pieces are one piece. They were put together flawlessly. I hope the body shop has got their experts ready.

14. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon

Hello Josh,

Sorry to see your misfortune.
    Have you found a body shop yet?
    I sent you a PM.

15. ELIM

ELIM Formula 3

Apr 29, 2005
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Sorry to see this. On a positive note, you're uninjured, right? Good luck with it all.

16. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    aww poor baby :(
    Hope things turn out inexpensively ok

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    List on the rear bumper is $3k to $3.5k...but if you needed other parts, plus paint and labor...I guess it could get that high. Front bumpers are $3.6K or so.

This job will hit $20k easy, perhaps more.

Sorry for your misfortune....

18. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Since I worked in a body shop and eventually married the owners daughter, I can tell you there is ALWAYS more to the situation than the obvious crunched metal.

The intricasies of getting that door to hang exactlly the way it once did is just part of the problem.

I'm sure that there are probably other things lurking under that tarp.

Did you check the rear deck?

The suspension may also have taken a wack.

Please don't misconstrue my remarks. Someday I hope to own a 355 since they are absolutely beautiful. Just that after seeing cars from the inside out for a number of years educated me to the difficulties of repairing them properly.

Please keep us informed of your choice for a repair facility and give us an occasional progress report.

Thank you.

Tom

19. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Dave is right on this. I personally saw a similar damage estiment on the otherside of a 355 it was 25000.00. New door, quarter panel, lower panel, radiators and various other parts. Regards, Vern

20. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    The car is going to Pro Tech Collision. The Ferrari dealership here in St. Louis uses them for all their work. It was picked up at 4pm today on a flatbed. Adjusters from the insurance company we be there while the body people tear through the car trying to make a cost estimate. Looks like I will be keeping this car for a while. I probably lost 10k off the future selling price.

21. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    You had to be going a lot more than 5 mph.

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I dunno, Vern, I think he needs this Pirelli poster I have of the 355/with moonrise.....

It says at the bottom:"Power is nothing without control"

I have to hide it from my Goodyear sponsors............LOL!
    They hand groove my rains, from the slicks...........

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have your plane photo up, at the office, looks GOOD! ;)

24. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Please look into Classic Coach in Elizabeth NJ. They took my friends 355C that had been wrecked bad @ Road America and made it better than new.

25. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Not wanting to kick you while you're down, but you might want to add driver in there. Don't blame the car.

Hope everything get put back as good as new for you!!