will a koenig testarossa pass california emissions? | FerrariChat

will a koenig testarossa pass california emissions?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by jharkercfduc, Aug 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    I am looking at 87 koenig testarossa that is located in a state without emissions laws. the car is the 700 hp twin turbo version. will it pass california emissons? are there any other koenig twin turbo testarossa's in california that are street legal? thanks.

2. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    before you do something....like buy it, maybe have it smog tested to verify if it will infact pass.

my guess: probably not. you might be able to have the guy look the other way on the visual, but the sniffer? good luck

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Oooooooh I seriously doubt it. Unless it has been approved by CARB as smog legal I wouldn't even try it. Call them up and ask what the procedure would be to bring it in, IF you can bring it in at all.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm

4. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is there anyway he could get it registered under the federal 2500 mile/yr show car regulations?

That being said, you could probably tune it too pass (probably a lot of extra $$ though) or track down a 'friendly' smog place. Remember that it's probably at little to no boost during the smog check, so you might be pleasantly suprised at the results.

C.

5. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    car is on east coast, so not an option for bringing the car here, also I plan on driving over 6,000 miles a year in the car so the exempt status would not work. probably won't get the car. will be looking around here.

6. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Buy the damn car, I need to see it. Tell us more, the color, etc.

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen

8. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    the info on the car is: post by koenigtr in the classic forum the thread is on may 25 2005. the thread is "thinking of selling my koenig testarossa" the car is black, has nice wheels and also has the 700 hp package. he said that it will be going on ebay soon ~$70,000. ask him for the details, he was very honest with all of the questions that I asked him.

9. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
  10. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Unless the car has CARB certification tags for all of the aftermarket parts used on the turbo setup it's just about impossible to get it registered in CA. Even if it would pass the smog test it still has to have CARB certification.