Where 328 PPI in Calgary? (Other than ZR Auto) | FerrariChat

Where 328 PPI in Calgary? (Other than ZR Auto)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by AP328, Aug 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AP328

AP328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Canada
    Does anyone know of a location in Calgary, Alberta that can do a PPI, other than ZR Auto?

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Why not ZR? I'm sure they would do a fine job for you. best not to go cheap with a PPI, as a bad one could cost you lots of money down the rd.

3. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    I agree with tbakowsky. These guys are experts in everything Ferrari. Trust me, mistakes are costly.

4. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Maybe he's buying the car from them and wants a completely impartial PPI ?

I cant think of any other valid reason...they seem to be the best bet out there.....

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Paul (the shop foreman) at Lone Star Mercedes-Benz 403-253-1333 works on all of the Ferrari's and other exotics that go there for service. He is very competent and would do a good job for you. They service a lot of these cars....you'd be very surprised actually. In the 8 years I worked there I saw almost everything go thru the shop (from Countach clutchs to engine out major services on F-cars).....usually there was always at least one-two Ferrari's per week in the summer. They don't advertise as such......but do this work for their MB clients who have these cars. All you have to do is ask and book the appointment.

You can go there in complete confidence of getting an accurate PPI.

6. AP328

AP328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Canada
    You are absolutely right, although I am looking at cars across Canada, the place I am considering purchasing from in Calgary is ZR. I would prefer to have a completely impartial PPI. Hence the reason for my original post.

7. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Sandro at Alessandro Motors could do it also... he does a lot of work on older Ferraris also

8. Myhorse

Myhorse Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Just give Alessandro about 4-6weeks to get it completed.

I know your are being thorough and are entitled to due diligence before a big purchase like this, but I can certainly vouch for ZR. He does not buy junk, nor will he sell you junk.
    He has always done a great job looking after me.

9. AP328

AP328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Canada
    Myhorse, it appears you live in Edmonton too. Did you buy your car from ZR and did they do your PPI? On an unrelated note, where do you service your car in Edmonton (presuming you are diriving a Ferrari)?

10. Myhorse

Myhorse Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    I bought my testarossa from ZR.
    I drive the hell out of it - everyday
    ZR does all my service work
    I have never had any complaint ( only praise ) for what they have done - right from the tire kicking, to the sale, to the after sale service.

Eurasia can do stuff for you, but I will warn you they are not enthusiatic about italian cars. Don't go anywhere near Ital motors

I just drive my car down to calgary every once in a while and the guys there look after it.

328 are great, easy to fix cars and you will rarely have major problems with them.

Jim1957 also in edmonton, bought his 328 from ZR.

Given that he spends most of his work day surfing the internet, I expect him to jump in anytime soon.

When you get yours come driving with us.

11. brim

brim Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Sandro is the only other resource I am familiar with. He is good with older cars, not so good with newer cars that have software issues. He does not have an SD2, let alone an SD3, which ZR has both of (or will soon).

He is not quick, since it's really a one man show over there. However, he is very thorough and has been working on Italian cars for decades. His reputation is great too.

If you can get in to see Sandro, I'd say go for it. Zahir's a very prideful guy and would want you to be very happy with your potential purchase. It would not be a good situation for anyone if you were unhappy with your vehicle, so it's definitely in his best interest to ensure that you are and remain very pleased with the car.

12. Jim1957

Jim1957 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2004
    Edmonton, Canada
    Full Name:
    James Morrison
    I agree - ZR is great and your first choice - I have also used Eurasia for an oil change last fall and they were excellent. My 328 from ZR has been very nearly perfect so far!

13. Not Red

Not Red Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    I also purchased my 328 from ZR Auto and am very satisfied with the level of service. The comments posted in this thread about ZR are absolutely true. THe people are great to deal with and the shop is well appointed with the required equipment to diagnose and repair these fantastic cars. Zahir has always told me he opoerates an open shop and at any time I am welcome to come in and ask any questions whether my car is there for service or not. I have taken up on his offer a few times and have received the information I was looking for.

This is my first Ferrari and Zahir made the process easy. I asked lots of questions and even made a few requests. He could not go far enough to ensure I would be a happy customer. I would buy from him again no questions at all.

14. AP328

AP328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks for the responses. For those of you that bought cars at ZR, did you have your PPI done at ZR, or did you take them elsewhere?

15. Jim1957

Jim1957 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2004
    Edmonton, Canada
    Full Name:
    James Morrison
    I didn't have a PPI done - ZR did a thorough job of prepping the car and they were straightforward about it's condition. No serious issues have come up since I bought it in April 2004 - except for a minor cam seal leak (which virtually disappears when I drive it more frequently). Eurasia looked the car over for me independently last fall and I asked for and received a detailed report that was all clear. ZR did another detailed report this spring when I had the oil changed and had a Tubi installed. As MyHorse said - Zahir is pretty particular about the cars and wants his customers to drive away with confidence. As you can tell by our comments - he treats his customers very well! I wouldn't be too concerned about a PPI if I was buying a car from someone with ZR's reputation.

16. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I bought my car from LFSC in Illinois..never had PPI... car has been fine...I have had work done on it at ZR, Alessandro, Auto Bugatti in Montreal and LFSC and have no issues with any of them at this point. The 328 is a very reliable car as long as you drive it often to keep everything working. Once any bugs are out it will be a fine car. I reccomend changing out the cat for a test pipe right off the 'get go' though... you get rid of a lot of heat from the engine compartment and that will help the car perform better.

17. brim

brim Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    I purchased my 360 through ZR. My one business partner purchased his 360 there as well. And my other business partner purchased his 308, Testarossa, and 355 there too.

None of us did PPIs, which in retrospect we are all still comfortable with.

To each their own though. If it makes you feel better, you really should have one done, regardless of what this board tells you.

As a footnote, Zahir really needs you to be happy with your purchase and needs your car to be in running order, since we do so many dinners and drives and trips around Alberta and BC. For Zahir, it's all about creating a Ferrari experience for the customer, and that experience needs to be a positive one.

Okay, that's enough of a commercial for Zahir, let's get back to my favourite topic, namely, ME.

18. Not Red

Not Red Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    I also did not have a PPI done. As was responded ZR did a thorough job of prepping the car. Literally, all I had to do was drive it away. I have had no serious issues. Had the major service done this year at ZR and with the exception of having to change a few additional parts due to the age of the car the car and exercising preventative maintenance the car works very well. I will, again, echo the responses of MyHorse and the others by saying if you do purchase a car form ZR you can rest assured it will be a great car to own.

19. 2nastie

2nastie Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    Thank you all for your supportive comments but please know that I will accept criticism as well anytime as that is how I can make things better. I am very proud of my business and want to treat my customers as I would like to be treated. It not about money. I love what I do and it is my dream to be successful in this business and share how Italian cars have changed my life.

I have brought 6 Lambos (my customers) to join with a group of 45 others to enjoy driving the "Running of the Bulls" which started this evening. We leave from Reno and will end in the Monterey Peninsula at the Italiano Concorso. You will all see this event on the video that I am making which will be ready at the end of this year.

20. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    2nastie: you have playboy Dan with you ?

21. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Are you coming through AZ?

22. Myhorse

Myhorse Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003

23. brim

brim Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    hahaha Jim don't put up with that smack talk

24. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Jim don't take that ****. Look what happened to Dino Martino.

25. Jim1957

Jim1957 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2004
    Edmonton, Canada
    Full Name:
    James Morrison
    Young guys like Dino and I need to stick together against bullys driving Testicle Roasters!