USED TUBI- WOULD YOU BUY ?? | FerrariChat

USED TUBI- WOULD YOU BUY ??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dcup, Jul 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    would any body buy a used tubi ?? im a little concerned, if i bought on maybe ebay how do you really know if its any good ? and if its not good, would you worry about getting your money back ??
    im thinking of buying a used one, the prices on new are high, does anyone know of any used for sale [ for a 348 ] nothing on ferrari ads.
    thanks, J

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I can't think of a reason not to unless it is busted in some way. I'd love a used tubi for my car.

3. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    John,

Unfortunately, that's part of the eBay risk. I think the best you can do is research the seller, ask your questions and go from there.

Dane

4. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Tubis are made from stainless steel, so they'll last forever. So it should be no problem getting a used one.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Ever wonder why there are SOOOO many more used Tubis out there than any other brand?

However, if it is a Tubi you must have.....absolutely save the $$ and buy it used. ;)

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    It's buyers that are trying to recoupe the the cash after the sale of the car.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Maybe because they actually have resale value and last long enough to sell them used?

8. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario

John,

I purchased a used TUBI. Prior to shipping I had someone verify it's condition (no damage etc). Everything turned out ok. At the end of the transaction I found out the guy I bought the TUBI from was from F-chat.

The TUBI cost me $1700.

9. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I would love to get a tubi but the prices are just too high for me..If I could find a good deal on a used one I would buy one...there tough to come across though from what I have experienced....

10. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Buying a used Tubi is probably ok as long as you can verify its condition before you buy it and everything is complete. No moving parts, so it should be ok as long as the exterior isn't dented, etc... and the interior stuff is intact.

However, in my very limited experience in buying used car-type stuff, a lot of times they are missing a nut, bolt or something else that's small. Not a big deal to go buy the missing piece, but surely a PITA. However, overall, in the end, I have been glad I bought it used and saved the $$.

11. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Even if they don't last forever, AFAIK Tubi has a lifetime warranty, so why worry? Buy used, and if it breaks, you'll get a new one out of it.

I bought a 360 with a Tubi that had been through 2 previous owners, and when there was even a concern of it being the source of one of my problems, Tub Fedexed me a brand new one the next day and paid for the shop to install it.

THAT's standing behind a product...

12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I would buy a used Tubi. As far as I know there is nothing to go wrong.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Short of actual damage (cosmetic or structural), there seems to be little risk. There is a warranty on materials, and I know of people who called Tubi and got an immediate replacement without question.

14. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    I agree with all others on this, and with saying that I am looking for a used system for a 99 360.. anyone ??

15. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a few systems for the 360 in stock. Give me a call at 405-410-8149 or 405-255-1803, they aren't used but with the prices I give you, you will swear they are.

Regards,
    Kevin

16. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    This sounds like a commercial.

17. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

Wow, impressive :ThumbsUp:

18. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Used Tubi is probably louder (ie, better sounding for me) than the new one. You will get an instant sound effect...he he

19. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I still do not understand how a MUFFLER is $2000+ dollars. R and D cannot be that much. I understand the fcar markup but that is moronic.

20. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    And it worked, my Novitec Rosso is sold!

When I got in the aftermarket Ferrari parts biz I asked the manufacturers the same thing. One of them (Whose name I will keep confidential) told me "hey if people will pay that much why lower prices".

Now as far as R&D, not it isn't that much but it is much more. Whenever I put out Ferrari products (granted I only have a couple) the R&D usually runs me 2-3x more.

Another thing you have to consider is how all these companies have to look fancy for the Ferrari market to even consider their product. So they have to spend money looking bigger then they really need to be. For example, fancy flash websites, factories with fancy furniture.....,etc. This is all useless b/s to improve the "heritage and pride" of the company.

Consider this I am in the process of putting a 360 exhaust in the market, I am offering it at around $1,750, but very few want to buy it! Why? Because it doesn't have a fancy name or my website isn't flash, I can live with that, I don't care. I still make money off the $3k+ exhaust they buy it just saddens me that I try to offer a product of the same quality and somebody pays that much of a difference over the name.

So far we've had luck with our F355 manifolds since we didn't have much competition on them but with the higher competetive markets, it's just not there.

I agree with you though, I really do, hope my post was informative and in no way did I mean to offend anybody although I'm sure I did.

Regards,
    Kevin

21. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    i dont see the problem with it... its still a tubi, and as long as its in good condition, go for it. besides, its probably a lot cheaper that way too.

22. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Yep. Even if it's cracked. No big deal.

23. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'd be more concerned about it actually arriving than if there was a problem with it.

24. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    If it was $2000 it wouldn't be so bad. But I think they're over $3500 these days aren't they? I'm old school and can't reconcile that kind of money for a muffler (without installation).

25. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
    Tubi is expensive because they do not sell many units. If they could mass produce them the price would drop. Per my conversation with Tubi, there is a lot of human time put into building each unit. They dont just come out of a big machine.

If Tubi was to charge the dealer $1000 (so your cost would be $1600 or so), they would not be making much money. Let's say they hypothetically sell 150 exhaust systems for the murcielago over 3-4 years for $150,000 REVENUE? no way they would bother -- remember there is R&D, marketing, distribution to lambo dealers, and warranty support. Not to mention the overhead, materials, and labor.

How many Ferrari systems do they sell a year? 500? If 3-4000 Ferraris are sold in the U.S., maybe 500 buy Tubi?

Bring in $500,000 revenue (revenue, NOT profit) selling the #1 Ferrari exhaust? terrible!!

They must charge the dealers $2500 (your cost $3800) for it to make any reasonable amount of sense.