Radar Detectors | FerrariChat

Radar Detectors

Discussion in 'Canada' started by norm, Jun 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I received a traffic ticket for possession of a radar detector in Ontario. What is the normal fine/penalty for this?

2. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    They usually take them away, as far as the fine, expect about $ 200.00 and plus, plus plus.

Do you have a court date?

What I would suggest is, to call a traffic consulting firm there are 3 or 4 in Toronto.

3. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Hey I spotted a U.S Plated white Mondial Cabrio in Yorkille a week or so ago. Was that you ? :)

4. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    No, it wasn't me in the White mondial.

5. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    yes, the officer confiscated the unit & I have a court date. Normally in US, this could be simply handled thru the mail.

What do these traffic consulting firms do? Normally in NY, would hire an attorney if necessary.

6. MayB1Day

MayB1Day Karting
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Court date?

Is that because you do not want to pay the fine and you are fighting the charge, or is it an automatic visit to the judge? Not sure how you would argue you're innocent, honestly.

I got caught with one 10 years ago, $140 bucks, no points, no court date. He confiscated the unit and handed me the ticket.

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Yikes, my car was shipped to Ontario and I have a built-in radar detector (can't be removed without ripping apart the dash). Anybody know what would happen in that case? Would they confiscate the car? I can power it off but it still exists... #$%^!

8. yongster

yongster Rookie

Jul 18, 2004
    Same for me in 1991.

9. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Norm, what happened? Did you miss those enormous signs on our side of the border?

In case you missed them, they say:

RADAR
    DETECTION
    DEVICES
    PROHIBITED

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Get yourself an experienced lawyer, don't bother with the former cops.

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Unless it's a V1, keep the power off.

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I disagree B. My brother is a lawyer and God know's I don't mind supporting him but they will charge alot for no reason. These ex-cop dudes are awesome providing you go see a reputable one.

Just my .02

Vasco

12. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I respectfully disagree. Note I said "experienced"--just dial up our good friend Ryalex and he'll hook something up. I have an aquaintance that is just waiting for me to get a large ticket so that he can help me out.

Did you see the story in the paper today about the X-Copper dudes that didn't inform their client of a trial date? The client missed the trial date, goes to jail, gets a huge fine...

13. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not planning on fighting this one. It seems to be a pretty straight-forward case for the prosecution. Just does not appear to be any form of mail-in guilty plea on the ticket. I would have paid the officer the fine on the spot, if it would have been possible.

14. MayB1Day

MayB1Day Karting
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I donno about that. There are a bunch of Sceptre's floating around in ghost cars that can pick up ANY radar detector, including V1s, from miles away. You cannot detect Sceptres yet.

There is no way to hide. I stopped using my radar long ago. Id buy a V1 right now if I thought I could get away with it.