Service due, new owner needs advice | FerrariChat

Service due, new owner needs advice

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rival, May 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    First post from new, first-time owner (87 Mondial Cab)....thanks for your indulgence.......

I've been searching threads on this board for a couple of weeks now, and I've picked up a wealth of tips, new ideas, etc. My car's due for a 30k service, and I want to make sure I'm aware of all "upgrades" that can be/should be performed at this service. I'm aware of the items suggested by the factory, but for instance, I went to Durable1.com and found many possible things to do like upgraded tensioner bearings, intake seals, underdrive pulleys, etc. Since I will have an opportunity to replace with factory parts or change to upgraded parts, I'm trying to determine what are good changes and what are considered to be snake oil.

I've read hundreds of threads and if I've missed one where there is a list of these suggestions, please excuse this request. However, if any of you can make suggestions on what I should/shouldn't do, please advise.

Rival

2. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Anyone have any thoughts? Again, I'm sorry if I've missed a post or posts that already provide this information, but I just want to make sure that I follow what this forum has found to be good updates (if any) to this common procedure. Blind faith? Maybe, but I've found through the years that a general consensus of enthusiasts will usually steer one in the right direction.

If there is a site I've missed that addresses what I need, please let me know. If not, any advice would be appreciated, as I'm presently planning for the upcoming service. Thanks.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Do you have a good independent Ferrari mechanic? I don't know where to tell you to go in Mississippi, but guys like Bill Pollard (CT) and Gary Bobileff (in San Diego) seem to specialize in pre-348 Ferrari's and I would be inclined to ask someone like that - an authorized dealer might not be as likely to steer you towards better aftermarket parts.

Also you could search the Technical forum, if you haven't already done so, and then post this request there.

Jon

4. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Yeah, believe it or not, for many years Mississippi had a factory-authorized dealership in Jackson - Ferrari South, Inc. Since it's now gone - I believe the owner is now a partner in Ferrari of Atlanta - two of the Ferrari mechanics from FSI are now involved with a place called Capitol Sports Center in Jackson. They're very competent, but since Ferraris are by no means their primary work, I want to make sure I'm aware of any updated parts that may be available

I've read through a mountain of those posts, but you are correct in that this post really should have been entered on that forum. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll try it there........before doing so, any rules that prohibit a copy of a post in another section? I'm new here, and I don't want anyone PO'd at me....when in Rome, right?.........

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No rule against posting on the Tech forum also - just a courtesy to do a search and try not to re-post an existing thread. I'm looking for my first Ferrari (current P-car owner) and have been keeping tabs on the "problem" spots of the cars I'm interested in. Skimming the Technical section is a good way to do that.

I'm fortunate to have two reputable Ferrari mechanics in my region - one 10 miles away, the other up in LA. The both really know the 8-cylinder cars and have worked on them for years. They know what to keep original and what to upgrade.

Jon

6. boxerboy2

boxerboy2 Rookie

Feb 8, 2004
    due a tubi

7. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Unless they closed up shop recently, Ferrari South MS is still in business. I stopped by there around six or eight months ago when I was looking for a Ferrari. They told me they didn't deal in selling cars anymore, but they still serviced them. All of the major equipment was moved to Atlanta, but they could do most things there. When they couldn't do the work there, they shipped the cars to Atlanta.

Dick Manning let me take a look around the garage. There was a very nice red 328 and what appeared to be a 355 Spider under a cover.

Give them a call at 601-969-5668 and see if they are still operating.

Nothing wrong with keeping everything stock. I would just have everything thoroughly inspected and replaced as needed. For a good idea of what needs to be done during the major, look at Eugenio's page.

http://emelbon.tripod.com/eugeniosferrariservice.html

Also, Lindsey Automotive in New Orleans is supposed to be very good. I stopped by his shop to look at a car last May, and he must have had a half-dozen Ferrari's there. A nice 512BB, 2 355's, 2 308's, and I think a 288 GTO.

http://lindseyautomotive.tripod.com/