need help ASAP on GREY MARKET CAR | FerrariChat

need help ASAP on GREY MARKET CAR

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by djdomenick, Apr 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djdomenick

djdomenick Rookie

Apr 19, 2005
    Will a ferrari dealer service a grey market car? Regardless of the warranty.. if i was to bring a grey market car into the dealer , will they accept it and service if I want to pay the full costs.

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Full price, in cash? I'm not sure why they would have a problem with that,

3. djdomenick

djdomenick Rookie

Apr 19, 2005
    basically im wondering if just because it is a "Grey" market car , will they accept it into the dealership to service it because of all these things im hearing with the warranty and what not.

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I am guessing that as a "grey market" car you are thinking it may not be under warranty in the USA?.

You would have to call a dealer to get specifics on what issues you are concerned about. They may honor some of the warranty items anyway.

5. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I think it depends on the dealer. I have heard of some dealers refusing to service gray market cars regardless of how much money the owner wishes to spend. I would suggest going to your local dealer and asking them. Otherwise you'd have ti find an independent mechanic.

6. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Depends on the dealer, and also to an extent, which car it is. If you've got a gray market TR or 355 (as I do), they generally won't hassle you because you're not cannibalizing their own new car sales. Now if you're thinking about importing a 360 spider or 430 or 575, they may be more problematic as those are cars which still represent a decent profit margin to them and they'd like to sell them to you themselves instead of seeing you clip their waiting list and their margin by importing.

I haven't needed to see a dealer for either of mine yet (nearest one is 5 hours away), but all the dealers I've spoken with (FoA, FoW, FCI, FoH) have been helpful to me when looking for parts or advice. I have not had any trouble locating parts or getting insurance or registering the cars or any of the other things that people generally warn you about in gray market cars. I've had my TR for 8 years and my 355 for 3 years. However, SC is not an emissions-testing state, so I can't speak to that aspect.

You will generally not qualify for any warranty coverage regardless of the age of the car. In the US, the warranty is administered by Ferrari North America. If you don't buy a US car, they wash their hands of it entirely. I believe for purposes of importing, whoever converts your gray market car for DOT/EPA becomes the 'manufacturer' as far as federal warranty items are concerned (like emissions). So if you had an emissions related failure, it would be Amerispec or JK Motors or whoever was your converter's responsibility. More likely, it would actually end up your responsibility.

Best bet, as Richard says, is just to call them, ask for the service manager and tell him what kind of car you are considering and what your concerns are and see what their policy, if any, is. Good luck!!

7. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    It would be the rare dealership that would not service a grey market car for cash!