mondial clutch problem | FerrariChat

mondial clutch problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mondial85, Mar 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    I went to start my car today (it has been in winter storage) and discovered that the clutch would not engage. When I tap it, it quickly goes all the way to the floor with no effort and stays in that position without ever engaging. I can lift the clutch back to the starting position with my hand with no effort. Whats going on?

2. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    How cold is it? :)

I'd say that you're going to have to rebuild one of two things. Either your clutch master cylinder or your clutch slave. More than likely your master.

Here's what I think is going on. The rubber O-rings on either of them are either worn out or contracted to the point that when you engage the piston the clutch fluid flows around the O-rings and the piston then gets stuck because of the suction.

Both of these are very easy to "rebuild". You just replace the seals.

I asked how cold because sometimes if it's cold enough the rubber contracts to a point that this occurs. Even if it were warmer and your clutch system than worked it's still time to rebuild it.

3. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    ok, thanks for the advice. Is this something you think I can do myself or will I need to take it to a mechanic?

4. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Did you check under the car to see if any fluid leaking from slave cylinder. as I remember, it wasn't very expensive a few years ago for a new one.

5. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    The clutch pedal mechanism has an over-centering spring that actually pulls the pedal to the floor once it is past a small distance. It needs the resistance of the pressure plate to return it back up to the starting point.

A couple of things to check:

1. Is the clutch mechanism intact, ie is it actually driving the master cylinder?
    Put your head in the footwell and operate the pedal - you should see the rod which runs forward through the firewall to the master cylinder. This should move with the pedal all the way. If OK, then ...

2. Check release actuation
    View the clutch release-lever which fixes to the front/side of the engine bellhousing & get someone to press the pedal. The outer end of the lever should move down an inch or so as the pedal is pressed. If OK, then ...

3. Problem is inside the bellhousing. Needs removal (& manual).

If NOT OK then ...

4. Check master fluid level under the bonnet/hood.
    If fluid level of clutch master cyl drops too low it will draw-in air which makes the system useless, so check you have the correct level here. If OK, then ...

5. Is fluid being pumped?
    First, any external leak in the Master Cyl will show-up in front of the pedal box area. An internal leak (bypass) may not be obvious, so cannot rule this out yet.
    If master is OK, check slave unit above the clutch bellhousing. Any leak will run down actuating rod. No internal leak possible here, as any fluid getting pomped to the slave has to go somewhere - either in piston movement or onto floor!

So should now have either found a broken linkage, or a mahor leak, or nothing. If the latter then the Master Cylinder probably needs re-sealing & bleeding. At this age it may benefit from either replacement or sleeving by a refurb company, as the seals often go due to bore corrosion.

6. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Something you can easily do yourself!

7. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    Any clues as to how to remove the lower flange bolt on the clutch master cylinder. It is flush against the bottom of the cylinder and tucked in. No way to get a socket on it or a wrench. They make this impossible!!!!