your two most respected automakers | FerrariChat

your two most respected automakers

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by botomfeeder, Jan 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. botomfeeder

botomfeeder Rookie

Jun 7, 2004
    Just curious to see what people view as their own two most respected automakers are. I know most people here are obviously going to pick Ferrari as #1, but what would you put as number #2?

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Hyundai and KIA.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I don't really have just "two" favorites. I am equally impressed and revere such maunfacturers and the men who created them; (Ettore)Bugatti, (Carlo)Abarth, (Vincenzo)Lancia, (Enzo)Ferrari, (Colin Chapman)Lotus, (Ferruccio)Lamborghini, (H.F.S.)Morgan, etc... All of them had strong desires to be the best and they all succeeded.

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have to say Daimler Chrysler and Hyundai. For Chrysler, Lee Iacoca is a briliant businessman. He borrowed big bucks from the government when his company was going down the toilet, paid it back and started making some great cars and profit. One example is the '99 Concorde that I bought new. Great lines, extremely comfortable and inexpensive for a car of it's size. It's been gas and oil for 90K miles. I chose this car over a new BMW at the time.

As for Hyundai, they bought their way into the US market with a decent looking, well made car with a warranty that blew all the others out of the water. That is smart marketing in my book.

Profit is all heavily tied to the back-end manufacturer's expenses of a poorly made car.

5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Most passionate about would be Ferrari, but most respected would be Toyota, for their shear unrivaled quality control and the amazing reliability of their vehicles.

6. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Honda and Toyota.

A few years ago, Porsche might have been one of the two.

7. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    Depends on what you respect them for.

For looking like an exotic - Lamborghini & Saleen [at least the S7]

For build quality/reliability - Toyota/Lexus and many close 2nds

For workhorses [heavy-duty trucks] - Ford & Chevy

One thing I really respect Porsche for is their ability to manage the build process. They can accept change orders up to the point the car starts down the assembly line and the factory will custom ANYTHING on the car [for a price].

Ferrari/Maserati will do customization but they lock your build a minimum of 2 months before actual production. I didn't realize until recently, they still make all order changes via fax and hand-entry [at least according to our dealer - we just finished working a Maserati QP order].

8. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    RUF, for being an independent manufacturer, dedicated to making as close to perfect cars as it gets.
    TVR, because they are completely off the chart, and still independent. And do not outsource their engines.

9. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Most respected Automaker?

1. Oddly enough Lotus cars. They make the last of the pure sports cars and admitted that they can't make an engine worth a crap so they stuck an ultra reliable toyota motor in it.

2. General Motors. It takes a lot of guts to admit that almost all of your product line is pure ****. In the last five- six years the general has done that and many of the cars have gotten a great deal better, inside and out.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    BMW. for taking chances with styling and making the best performance sedans and Honda. for making the highest quailty economy cars on the market.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Honda and Hyundai.

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    They could try to be a bit more original. I think they are to pcars what Alpina is to BMW.
    Now owned by a Russian.

13. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    kia, toyota.

14. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Porsche and Audi

15. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Toyota and Hyundai

16. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    1. Ford. They ushered in the automobile age to the common man, and still cater to him, while at the same time giving us the exciting 60's era of the dominating GT40, that in my mind, effectively put Ferrari out of the road racing business.

2. Hyundai right now, because of their excellent strides in quality. Amazing what they've done in that area in such a quick time. If it wasn't, I'd be saying Lexus. Best built car in the world--ever.

17. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Ferrari and Lotus.

The only two big companies to stick to what they wanted to make. Lotus-lightweight racers... Ferrari- V12 grand tourers and cars ahead of their time

18. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Saleen - Always was a fan of the his mustangs, and the S7 catapulted him to the top of the supercar world. New S7 is packing 750hp. 0-60 in 2.8 sec!

porsche - Most profitible car company in the world. They must be doing something right.

19. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Behind Ferrari, Lexus and Noble.

20. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    1. Ferrari, just becuase

2. Pagani, I respect Horacio Pagani and his passion for builder autos

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    1. Lotus
    2. Ferrari

22. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Porsche

and i dont really have a second, theyre all pretty much ties after porsche.

23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ferrari and Porsche-because they race, although the later has been resting on their laurels a bit too much lately. Pure driving fun...

Honda and Toyota-because they race, and their cars are a lot more affordable. My Accord was the best car I've ever owned. 240K+ miles, with only oil changes and belt replacements. I paid twice as much for my A6 ang got 1/2 the mileage out of it.......

24. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    In the Porshe vid, you can see a 333 TWICE! :D