Vintage Guitars | FerrariChat

Vintage Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thecarreaper, Dec 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #1 thecarreaper, Dec 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i had to have this, i found a 1970 something Fender Stratocaster today! now i have had a BUNCH of old ( ahem "vintage" ) guitars, but i have NEVER seen a Strat with birdseye maple like this, with a highly flamed neck, and rosewood fretboard. thank goodness someone finished it in a natural finish and did not paint over it! i really did not need another axe, but i knew i would never EVER see another one like this. any of you guitar guru's on the board feel free to chime in :) i will share some of my other pics of my axe's as well, since all the pics are lost in the old threads.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You know Wolfgang is "the MAN" in this particular area.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Gorgeous, just gorgeous!

4. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

yes, he shared some stunning SRV pics with us awhile ago! i am still in awe that he knew "THE MAN"!

5. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

man i have never seen a factory guitar built like this, only custom shop guitars get wood like this. all the stamps and serial numbers match, its not a "bitsa" that that somebody made AND IT PLAYS GREAT!!!!! thanks for the kind replys. i had a crappy Xmas, this makes up for it in spades! :)

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Mike,

I left a message with the vintage guy downstairs about your guitar to get more info. He will be back next week though. He was the Fender rep for years before coming here to GC

Matt

7. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    The Asst Guitar Guy said it's for sure not a custom shop guitar. They did not start that until post-CBS. He had no further info except that it must be a very bright sounding guitar.

8. vittorio

vittorio Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    vittorio
    the body seems to be in birds eye ash and not maple

9. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You guys better watch it... if you start Shaughnessy posting pics of his guitars...........

10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks Matteo!

VITTORIO , you may be right, to be very honest i dont know the difference between maple and ash. i know that birdseye is really a flaw in the wood, but most Les pauls and other quality guitars with birdseye command a premium over other, similar models.
    i have been wanting a 1970 whatever Strat with the big headstock for some time, the wierd wood was just a freak bonus. even the neck is HIGHLY flamed, i cant get good pics of it as the flash washes the detail out. also, the back of the neck has very elegant flames in the wood. i know i am wierd , but guys i really like this old stuff ! it would be great to hear from Tom if he chooses to chime in.
    edit : i was offered a chance at a rare / special '58 Les Paul reissue, but $7000 is a little steep :)

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It looks like the plastics are all new on it, are they? Beautiful-looking.

12. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Hmm, it's definitely a CBS big headstock guitar (if it's not a reissue that is) with the ol' 3-bolt Micro Tilt setup (what were they thinking! :D). More than likely the body is alder or swamp ash, but in the CBS era they did use maple as well which made some extraordinarily heavy and bright sounding guitars. The finish on it looks very very nice so even if it's a refinish it's still a good looking piece. The serial number would definitely help in identifying it of course and there are many websites & forums out there than can help narrow it down a lot. Good luck and great purchase!!! :D

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi Michael,

just saw your call.
    Its a wonderful looking guitar but for sure not from 1970!
    Its a 3 bolt neck (changed from 4 bolt to 3 bolt in 1971),
    staggered pick ups (used till late 1974).
    Its strange to say more with just a few pics.
    Maybe, its a prof. refinished guitar?
    The plastic parts are realy looking like RI`s. I agree with gilles27 on this.
    I would like to see pics from under the pickguard.
    Check out the solder joints!!! If the solder joints are untouched and original ( I do not believe so) the PU`s/Electric/Potis and the finish is original.
    Checking the solder joints: Use a "black-light"!

Anyway, feel free to send me some close ups and I`m happy to help you with your wonderful guitar.

Wolfgang
    Please use my firm mail:
    [email protected]

14. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Regarding your signature:

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it! floor it ! floor it! . ... that's technical talk." S.R.V. "

cool but doesnt`helps.....
    S.R.V. once told to me after the sound check in the afternoon:
    "you can`t play the blues without the big, fat texan balls!"

well maybe thats it?!?!?

we should ask Rob about the .......;)

013 - 058 & be-flat:)
    Wolfgang

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    13's it is. A friend of mine in high school played them after hearing Stevie. His trick to use them: super glue. That helps the bends.

Oh, and I should mention, Chris Layton's current band Grady is playing tonight at the Continental Club. I should be there.

16. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Howdy Randy,
    everytime when I read your posts and see your adress AUSTIN.....pffff i wish I would live there.
    Joe`s Generic Bar!!!!!!!
    Damn, I have been so many times there, saw & met Alan Haynes ......and many, many great other musicans.
    BTW, a very old dear friend of mine is living in austin since a few years. He is a german and his name "Jürgen Engler" from the famous german group "Die Krupps" and the US ban "dkay.com" Do you know him?

17. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    With Jim Suhler?
    GO, thats a must see!!!!!!

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, I suck at guitar, so that's not it. Actually, I just started playing around a little after not playing the last 4 years. I would give up my golf swing and years of expensive worthless lessons to be OK at the guitar. Too bad I just don't have time to get better.

19. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Rob, you SHOULD!
    `Cause you are a texan and you (should) have the big, fat texan balls:D
    ;)

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We have Alan Haynes in Houston at The Big Easy, for New Year's Eve..

And the Art Car gang always gets together for the annual 'Bowling AT TVs'......

*roll, roll, roll.......................CRASH!*

I bought 'Lil' Bull' Leach a new Ibanez axe, HIS choice, and he's not happy....whaddaya gonna do?....he's about to be homeless.....THAT should help him play the Blues.......

21. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Howdy Bubba Buddy,
    Alan is playing in Houston?!
    Wow...home run:D
    If I`m not wrong, he was born in Houston?!
    Maybe his friend Billy Gibbonsn will join the party too?
    Enjoy the show, you realy drive me carzy & envious.

Well, go and get him a Fender Startocaster!
    The one & only for real men;)

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I know.......he didn't care a thing about Buddy Guy's signature on a Special Edition Strat so he's not getting it....(hanging on the wall, here!!!)

I think it was the 15 year old 'buy more than you need' syndrome....something about the strings being 'locked in' on the Ibanez, and the first thing he did was break one!!!!! I know it was top of the line but he took his MOM to do the deal!

And it wasn't at Fuller's or Rockin' Robin, so........(big sigh)

All I do is send $100 bills, man. LOTS of $100 bills. I told his Mom to pack his bags with them, as she sends him over!!!!!!!

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Not sure,.... about Alan being from Houston, but his uncle is the famous attorney "Racehorse"..........HE's here for sure............JRV works on his TR....

I know Alan was VERY gracious to my oldest daughter and her friend, making sure they got free copies of his CD at a KPFT Pacifica Benefit.......a good guy!!

24. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Lots of memories you brought up Tex.
    Racehorse Hanes (sp?), met that guy ages ago.
    KPFT - used to listen to a lot of stuff on 90.1 back in the day. Now you don't really have a choice since 101 is gone.
    While I haven't met Billy Gibbons - I used to live down the street from Frank Beard. He had a 308 IIRC and a TR. He'd take his kids (two) in the TR and go hit the baseball with them.