412 Suspension question | FerrariChat

412 Suspension question

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by wrxmike, Dec 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A question to other 412 owners out there - does the rear self levelling suspension settle on your car if the car has not been driven for some time?
    What is 'normal" behaviour for these cars
    Also, I'm still looking for a RHS front indicator lens

Cheers
    Michael

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, my 400i settles a bit if not driven for a while. I measured it once but can't remember how much. I think it was about 1 to 1.5 inches. I think that is pretty normal and the only cause for concern would be if the system doesn't reset itself shortly after startup.

John

3. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks John
    The car certainly comes us to the correct height within a short period of starting the car, but I don't think the 400 has the same suspension system levelling system as the 412.
    The 412 system is driven off an engine mounted pump, which the 400 doesnt have.

Mike

4. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #4 400iGuy, Dec 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My '84 400i has a hydraulic self leveling system driven off the front of the rightmost camshaft. See attachment. It settles an inch or so and then raises back to the normal level within the first minute or 2 after starting it up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mike

To echo Al, I think that, while there were numerous small detail changes in the engine, the body and the interior between the 400i and the 412, all detailed in the Murani and Pasini book, "Ferrari 412" published in 1986 by Automobilia, the rear suspension systems on the two models are identical.

John

6. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    John/Al

Thanks for your replies, I didn't realise the 400i had the same rear suspension setup as the 412, the diagram you posted is indeed the same as what is in the 412.
    My car starts to settle about an1 hour after the engine is turned off. and then rises to the correct height within about a minute of starting the engine.
    What got me thinking about what was normal was that every photo in a book or mag I've seen of a 412 shows the rear of the car sitting at the correct height, I've not yet seen one yet with the rear end down, so I can assume all the photo's were taken a short time after turning off the motor.

Mike

7. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Michael

have you tried Ferrari UK for the indicator, I got a couple last year for about $380 delivered

8. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lucky you, probably got the last set in existence !
    Yes, Tried Ferrari UK/ Jeff Howe.
    Item is apparently NLA.

Michael