Daytona Spider Question | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Daytona Spider Question

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ag512bbi, Dec 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    After reading this thread, I am really interested in finding out the rest of the history of 14857! Not sharing this info would be like cutting the last chapter out of a good mystery novel. Please share as much of the subsequesnt history as you can! :)

2. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    Identified as 365 GTB/4 Spyder. Destinazione Hollywood Sport Cars, Modern Classic Motors, USA. Assembly sequence no. 35, body no. ?. Fitted with a/c. (H. Raab's FSN Part I, 2nd Ed.).

Per factory records: Spyder No. 35; Destinazione Modern Classic Motors; Finizioni esterna giallo fly 20-Y-191; Finizioni interna illegible; Particolarita aria condizionata; Strumenti MG; Targa USA.

Identified as USA version 365 GTB/4 Spyder by factory telex of 15 Nov 1978. 25th on list of 96.

Offered Jul 1974 by Mitchell Rasansky, Dallas, TX. Silver-gray with red leather. Borranis & a/c. Purchased new Dec 1972. 17,000 miles.

Owned 1974 by Horace H. Hull II, Memphis, TN. FAF customer.

Offered Feb 1978 by Motor Cars d'Elegance, Santa Ana, CA. Light charcoal gray with burgundy interior. Blaupunkt Berlin stalk radio/cassette.

Offered Jul 1978 by Stutz Motor Car Co., Los Angeles, CA. Black with tan interior. 12,000 miles. (LATimes 09 Jul 1978).

Offered Apr 1989 by The Fine Car Store, San Diego, CA. Black with tan interior. 21,000 original miles. Then offered in Nov 1989. Red with black & red interior. Under 20,000 miles. Offered again Mar 1990. (FML 1505). Offered again Jan 1991. (FML 1602). Offered Feb again 1992. (FML 1704).

Offered Aug 1992 at Christies Auction, Pebble Beach, CA. Described by LOTS as good paint, original interior, like new underneath. Shows 19,928 miles, consistent with appearance. High bid $528,000 including commission. No sale.

I have no history after 1992!

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    No offense intended to all involved, but don't the odometer readings seem somewhat, umm, inconsistent? Between '72 & '78 it LOST 5,000 miles! (driven backwards a lot?)
    I hope the newer cars don't have still have those odo problems......

But hey; Happy Holidays!
    james

4. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

The newer cars will never be like the older ones regardless......

Happy holidays to you too and Prosperous New Year!

5. gtofreak

gtofreak Karting

Nov 5, 2004
    Bonaire, N.A.
    Gerald
    14857 was for sale at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale in January 1993 with 19'930 mls, US$ 575'000

6. gtofreak

gtofreak Karting

Nov 5, 2004
    Bonaire, N.A.
    Gerald
    It appears that Horace H. Hull II of Memphis not only owned #14857 but also #14761, which he bought from original owner Robert C. Rapp in 1975.

7. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Good work Gerald and crew!! Armen go out and find that car now!! Great thread.
    Erik

8. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    Yes, and by the time he owned 14761 he had relocated to Los Osos, California.

9. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    This is a common malady with Daytonas. When I was with FAF Motorcars we had a customer with a Daytona Spyder who faithfully brought it in for regular service . . . every 40-50 miles! Strangely enough, everytime the car showed up the speedometer cable had somehow come disconnected. The FAF service manager would reconnect the cable, the car would be serviced and test driven, and the customer would drive it home. Six months later he would be back . . . same scenario.

But then, this was the same gent who, several years later, advertised his Daytona Spyder as not only "low mileage" but also "never driven in the rain." I guess that time during a Ferrari Club meet when it was left outside overnight with the top down and a real gully-washer of a thunderstorm came through didn't count. The car wasn't being driven! But it took him quite some time to bail out the interior the next morning.

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ROTFLMAO...!!!

11. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I wouldn't say just the Daytonas, seems common with all Ferraris, Ferrari really needs to give some of its customers what they want, a speedometer that goes backwards once it hits 30,000 miles.

12. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    I didn't realize people didn't know where this car was. I don't believe the prior owner wants to be known, so I'll keep that information out of a public forum.

I own it along with some other Daytona Spyders, Daytona Coupes and other Ferraris. The car runs great.

Steve

13. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Cool. Thanks for letting us know. Do you have any pics?

Chris

14. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Just to fill in the gaps on 15297, here is the updated history.

"This LHD car is documented as being the 46th of 121 Daytona spiders produced by the factory.

It was delivered new in the USA by William Harrah’s Modern Classic Motors to the first owner Roger Sherman of Coconut Grove, Florida. The original colour was quoted as being “Grigio Ferro, code 106-E-8. Interior leather colour was Rosso, code 3171. The car is now black with black leather with original dash material. Supplied new with Borrani wheels and factory airconditioner.

Roger Sherman subsequently sold to actor George Hamilton, who apparently kept the car until 1986. It passed through the hands of Art Miller of Southern Sports Cars in Miami, sold to David Frankel, Coral Gables, Florida. According to a conversation between Michael Sheehan & David Frankel on 05/02/2004 the car was lightly smoke damaged in a garage fire. Insurance paid for a new interior and convertible roof. There was no body or paint damage.

In January 1990 this car was being advertised by Ron Spangler’s Prancing Horse Farm for US1,150,000.

Six months later it was for sale by Michael Kessler of Eugene, Oregon, with 42,000 miles priced at $1,200,000. This amount was paid in June 1990 by Swedish buyer Mats Omstrom, but the car never left USA. By the ned of the year 1990 it was back on the market for US$925,000. It isn’t known if Omstrom was a speculator who caught the market wrong. In mid- June 1991 the asking price was US$700,000 with an advertiser in Ferrari Market Letter (503 344 1781) and by 1992 it was sold to Tom Celani, still in USA.

In January 1995 it was being advertised for $385,000 by a company called Detail One Motorsport.

In March 1995, Symbolic Motor Car Co. were advertising this car for $425,000 Black
    with tan interior. They said with 2 sets of wheels, Borranis & Cromodora mags. The price was reduced to US$395,000 in February 1996.

The car cam up again in February 1998, advertised in “Sports car Market”for US$555,000, now saying with black interior. So either Symbolic made a mistake describing it with tan interior or it had acquired a 2nd retrim. More likely it was a mistake to describe with tan interior. There are no photos to support this. Mileage still 40,000++

1998 must have been a bad year for selling Daytona spiders, because it appeared in the August 1998 Monterey auctions where it finally sold. For only $280,000. 5 months later it was in the Barrett Jackson auction, sold again, this time for $290,000

The new owner ( the 7th) was from Texas. He had the transaxle overhauled, torque tube bearing replaced, a new clutch installed, four new Michelin XWX tires fitted to the Cromodoras. New tie rod ends and new constant velocity joint boots fitted.

In May 2004 the car was sold via Michael Sheehan to Australian customer Rob Sherrard, an executive with Virgin Blue Airlines. At this time the tools and books were lost. Mileage on arrival was 44,906. A lot of work, detailed in a 16 page invoice, was carried out in Australia, the main items being as follows.

Purchase and restore a pair of 9" rear wheels. Supply 5 new Michelin XWX tyres to suit. Overhaul and detail braking system, steering assembly and geometry, suspension and shocks. Service & repair clutch operation, detail. Attend to bellhousing centre chassis stay. Service engine cooling system including recore radiator, etc. Service air conditioning & ensure operation. Service carburettors replace filters, attend to throttle linkage operation, etc. Supply & fit new rear exhausts. Check operation of instruments. Change all fluids. Fit drivers rear view mirror. Overhaul alternator. Overhaul wiper motor. Various minor tasks relating to instruments & switchgear.

As of April 1st 2005 when purchased by Protrade GmbH of Hamburg, the mileage was 47,206. The car was airfreighted to Germany, arriving April 8th 2005. Car was sold in Europe"

15. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Saw it at JW Allan automotive during it's Australian stay. A bit rough around the edges at the time.

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    It was a pleasure talking to 2hill288 yesterday. We got to share a few stories about 14857. Great guy and happy to know the car is in GREAT hands!!!

17. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    Good to see that all is well and that you got all the answers you wanted. I read the whole thread for the first time yesterday and at some moment I thought that you knew all along where the car was and that you were just trying to establish the level of knowledge of the forum members. This feeling became particularly strong when somebody mentioned a company that sold the and which actually belonged to your father.....But I am now convinced of two things: The knowledge level around here is fantastic and your request was genuine....

18. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Wow I read threw all of this and wow what a great story. I thought in a week Id be seeing another one of your threads and see you bought the car. Congrats on finding the owner!

19. gtamerica

gtamerica Karting

Aug 4, 2004
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Terry Healy
    In May 2004 the car was sold via Michael Sheehan to Australian customer Rob Sherrard, an executive with Virgin Blue Airlines. At this time the tools and books were lost. Mileage on arrival was 44,906. A lot of work, detailed in a 16 page invoice, was carried out in Australia, the main items being as follows.

Purchase and restore a pair of 9" rear wheels. Supply 5 new Michelin XWX tyres to suit. Overhaul and detail braking system, steering assembly and geometry, suspension and shocks. Service & repair clutch operation, detail. Attend to bellhousing centre chassis stay. Service engine cooling system including recore radiator, etc. Service air conditioning & ensure operation. Service carburettors replace filters, attend to throttle linkage operation, etc. Supply & fit new rear exhausts. Check operation of instruments. Change all fluids. Fit drivers rear view mirror. Overhaul alternator. Overhaul wiper motor. Various minor tasks relating to instruments & switchgear.

As of April 1st 2005 when purchased by Protrade GmbH of Hamburg, the mileage was 47,206. The car was airfreighted to Germany, arriving April 8th 2005. Car was sold in Europe"[/QUOTE]
    Further to above the car was bought from Mike Sheehan by Oldtimer Australia P/l in Brisbane for Rob Sherrard & sold by them via Andrew Turner to Protrade in 2005.

20. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Yes, there were some issues with it being a bit tired. After it got to Germany it spent many weeks being "freshened up". Engine was removed (probably first time in its life) New timing chain and some bearings replaced, Whole engine bay was detailed, front suspension removed and everything tidied up, all lights removed and stress fractures repaired and car repainted. Doors were removed and dismantled, rebuilt and repainted with new rubbers, all the licence plate holes in bootlid filled and repainted, etc. etc. A classic case of "while we are at it, lets do this as well" and so it went on!!

Now a very fine looking car that drives perfectly with a delighted new owner.

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    15297 is now in Italy with a new owner who paid Euro € 550'000.
    Marcel Massini

22. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I should have highlighted "at the time" in my comments. Half the fun in owning these cars is bringing them back to life.

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Sorry to bring up a buried post, But was going thru some old stuff and found that my dad also owned Daytona 16859. We owned MANY Daytonas in the past. (boy I wish we kept atleast one).
    Anyway, anything about the where about of 16859. The color combo... And info would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

24. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Here's a recent update on 15297
    Kidston - Sold Cars

Interesting to find out that this was the real Daytona in the pilot episode of Miami Vice.

25. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #75 Marcel Massini, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Rather more interesting that 15297 is described as correct original when it was born as a U.S. Version with side marker lights and all the U.S. smog equipment and now all that stuff has "fallen off" (been removed) during the recent restoration (car now looks like an European version which it never was) and the factory has still granted their legendary certification............ahhh, the wonders of Maranello.

Marcel Massini

TTR likes this.