Missing item for 400i | FerrariChat

Missing item for 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by srq68, Dec 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srq68

srq68 Rookie

Dec 22, 2004
    Hi,
    I have a 1984 400i that I am trying to get up to show condition, but one item is missing from the first Aid Kit. It's the item in one of the ends of the case, its recessed holding area looks like it is shaped like a "T". can anyone tell me what this item is supposed to be? I am thinking a small pair of sissors, but one of the PO old judging sheets mentions a "tourniquet"? Please help, any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm at work but I have a complete (I think) first aid kit (21 year old band-aids anyone?) in my 83 400i, garaged about 10 minutes from the house. I'll check and get back to you on that.

What can you tell us about your car? Serial number, how and when did you get it, colors, transmission, mileage etc. etc. would be interesting.

Thanks

John

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The contents of a 400i tool kit can be found at www.owners.ferrari.com under the spare parts section. You can also order whatever parts you need therefrom.

4. srq68

srq68 Rookie

Dec 22, 2004
    The 400i is black, only about 26000 miles. Don't have the SN on hands (at work right now...) but I am only the 3rd owner. Originally a german car, it was imported/transformed to meet EPA standards by the first owner who moved to the US.
    Second owner in central Florida spent about $11,000 on it over 5 years. Car has been repainted (poorly IMHO) and the 1st owner had fender flares installed on the rear fenders, looks good but not original and looses 1 point at shows because of that.
    The 2nd owner took good care of it. Interior is immaculate (black and beige) except for the dash top leather that shrunk off the forward edge and shows the foam under. Don't know what to do about that, just live with it and loose 1 point at shows for now I guess.
    Engine is very clean, no oil, gas, or dirt. A ticking sound comes from the top alternator, like a bad brush or bearing, I'll look into that too. The transmission shifts a bit hard when the RPMs are pushed, also looking into that.
    The car was exchanged for a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrofoglio plus cash, for a total value of $25,000. Not a bad buy.
    I also have a 1972 365 GTC/4 and a 1990 Testarossa. The TR won 7 platinums at FCA and FOC shows. The C/4 won a couple of golds but need a bit more work...

I also have a question on the C/4 that I'll post on the antique category: I am trying to troubleshoot a carburetion problem, I believe one or more of the Webers has a leaky needle valve or the float level is too high. Anyone has the correct measurements for the float levels on Webers 38 DCOE 59/60 for the V12 365 GTC/4?

5. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds very nice. Leather shrinkage on the dash is pretty common and only remedy AFAIK is replacement.

Is your car by any chance s/n 51781 from Bob Tallgren? Just curious.

John

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Any good auto upholstery shop can recover the dash for a few hundred dollars. I've had to have that done on my TR and Boxer .

7. srq68

srq68 Rookie

Dec 22, 2004
    That IS Bob Tallgren's car....
    Small world, even smaller Ferrari World!

Any chance you looked at your first aid kit?
    Thanks

8. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #8 Ashman, Dec 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I think I have some bad news. My first aid kit is missing one item, from the "T" shaped receptacle on the left corner of the kit. A tourniquet tightener or clamp would make sense, since there is included a rubber hose that could be used for the tourniquet.

The owners manual doesn't list the contents of the first aid kit.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login