1987 Ferrari Testarossa info | FerrariChat

1987 Ferrari Testarossa info

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Gatarz, Nov 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatarz

Gatarz Rookie

Sep 11, 2004
  2. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    I joined this board a day or two ago because I finally have some money to spend on cars and I was going to start looking for a Testarossa in this exact colour combination!! :)

I don't know much about them (hence my joining) but I find it odd that Ferrari didn't finish the boot in red carpet too match the cabin??

~Scotty

3. Gatarz

Gatarz Rookie

Sep 11, 2004
    Yeah, that looked strange to me too.

4. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    My 86 TR is the same way. The carpet in the front boot is grey and the carpet in the cabin is yellow.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The 587/90 TR SPC indicates that the carpet set for the front luggage compartment comes in 3 colors for either LHD or RHD: "grey", "beaver", and "black" so it won't always match the interior carpet which comes in more colors (although giallo is not among them, which maybe just proves that F usually meets a new buyer's special request adding to the possible variation.)

6. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    What's under the black 'panel' in the front boot? I thought that area was a well for luggage storage.

I'm not a fan of Spline Hubs. I'm really not a fan of Red interiors - both will de-value the car, but if the maintenance records are there, and complete, it could be a very good car!

7. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Not sure what that panel is supposed to be on this TR (perhaps stereo equipment?), but that area is normally recessed to house the optional fitted luggage, tool / jack bags, with a reinforced carpet overlay that covers a spare tire below (held down by leather strap). The black panel you see in those pics is definitely not stock.

8. Gatarz

Gatarz Rookie

Sep 11, 2004
    Yeah, the red gut doesn't thrill me, but if the car were in outstanding condition with proper maintenance records and history, would it be worth $50k? More?

9. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have an 1986 Testarossa - Black/tan. The trunk carpet is gray.

This looks like a very clean car. The red interior would not deter me if the car has had engine-out service and the price is right. From the pictures provided, it looks quite clean.

One other observation. You mention that this is a 1986. I note the single bolt center spline wheel, but also note the dual mirrors. In 1986, I believe, the cars all had a single high-mount outside mirror on the driver's side. During 1988 the transition to 5-bolt and dual mirrors took place.

I have heard of some who converted the single mirror to dual mirror. Just something to ask about.

Jim S.

10. Gatarz

Gatarz Rookie

Sep 11, 2004
    It is listed as an 87. It does look clean, but looks, as we know....

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Dual mirrors 87

5 bolt wheels mid year 88

12. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Group,
    Here's a site that can answer some of the TR trivia questions http://www.red-headed.com . Your car looks to be '87 or prior to the '88.5 version. Check out red-headed / testarossa buyers guide for things to be aware of when purchasing a TR. TR's are great car, but if you screw-up major money may be involved.
    I have a '91 TR, which has really been a fun car. The car you mention looks very nice and the red interior is cool. Before I purchased my car I looked at quite a few around the US. I wanted a '91, since all the bugs and upgrades terminated with this car prior to the TR512 day-beau. Make sure you get the history on the car with records; get a PPI at a Ferrari dealer; drive the car; talk to the mechanic that has serviced the car; no oil leaks. I found mine in Arizona with 14.5K miles on it. It has been a fantastic and reliable car.
    Good luck,
    Jim

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    So a boxer with the spline hubs and the f40 and enzo will be devalued because of a red interior and the 1 bolt rim ??? Dude, come on.....that will not de-value the car. Crappy owners, and lack of records de-value the car, all else is in the eye of the beholder.