If not 400 series, what does the board suggest?... | FerrariChat

If not 400 series, what does the board suggest?...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bonaturtle, Nov 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bonaturtle

bonaturtle Rookie

Nov 1, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean Mulkeen
    I really would like to get into a Ferrari, and it could still be the 400i, but seems the board would be more knowledgeable that me, obviously.

I don't really want to step over the $25k plateau with my first one, which I know the 400i will fit into and the 80-82 Mondial. What do you suggest? An early 80's 308?328?QV?later year mondial?

I don't want to go back into the 70's, so early 80's it is, if I choose to go Ferrari and join this allegiance of drivers.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Its not just the $25k entry fee. How much can you afford in maintenance after you buy it? How big a reserve do you have set aside in an "oh ****" fund when you find out that something big breaks 2 weeks after you get the car home.

Not to rain on your parade, but $25k may not be enough to get into this AND enjoy it.

3. bonaturtle

bonaturtle Rookie

Nov 1, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean Mulkeen
    don't worry about the maintenance, just wondering on the car. Not badgering, but if I was worried about the maintenance, I wouldn't consider at all. Just looking for suggestions for solid car around $25k, that's all.

Would anyone own a Ferrari if they were worried about a maintenance? Let alone any other performance car? :)

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    For $25k, I would seriously look at a Mondial 3.2 Coupe as a first Ferrari. But then again, this topic has been beaten to death. Seach the archives.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The 400 would be a great first Ferrari. However, I would get the 400GT, not the 400i. The 400GT has those wonderful Webers and a five speed and is a very enjoyable car. I once owned Al Garthwait's former daily driver 1977 400GT and it was a wonderful car. Much better than the Mondial or any other 8 cylinder model for that matter. In fact, my 400 was the most reliable Ferrari I have ever owned...along with my 330GTC. Older carb Ferrari's tend to me more reliable than the newer FI ones since it is all the computer/electronic crap that usually causes the reliability issues in Ferraris to begin with. Never get an 8 when you can get a 12 ! Trust me, I've owned both.

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

Agree. For 25k you need not settle for a Mondial 8. You could buy a 3.2 coupe, maybe a QV cab even.

The 3.2 will probably be more reliable than any 400.

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    3.2 Coupe would definately be a great start.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

What he said

9. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Here's a fellow FNG to this board with his two cents. I've been working on Ferraris for over 20 years but only recently bought my first Fcar, a 78 Euro 308GTB.

You posted about a week ago so I'm sure you got a load of opinions already but here goes. The 400GT, 400I and 412 are all nice V12 touring cars for the price but repairs can be frightening. For example: If the water pump, which is chain driven, springs a leak the engine has to come out and appart,$$$$$$$$. A clutch replacement is also big bucks.

The mondial is cheaper to maintain but it's a boring slow car with an ugly interior IMO. My sugestion, if money is an issue, is a 308GT4. It has basically the same running gear as the 308GTS and 308GTB but has a less swoopy body and tiny rear seats which shouldn't bother you since you are considering other 2+2 cars. It's a fun car to throw around on a windy road, It's fairly cheap (I've seen examples for $15,000) and it's fairly inexpensive to maintain (compared to V12 Ferraris).

As with any Ferrari purchase, buy the best example you can afford and have it checked out by a professional before you pay.

Wil de Groot

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Same here. Consider a 308GT4 & 308i, too. And most of all...don't listen to Frank :).

Ron

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    GT4 , best bang for the buck, least expensive to fix and easiest to work on. Owning a 12 just for the sake of owning a 12 when it is way more expensive to fix and maintain is just plain silly.

For 25 k you can have a fun car with enough left over for improvements and dinner.

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I think it was $700 in labor and $500 or so in parts for the 365 when we did it 3 years ago. Not cheap, but not "big bucks".

13. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

The 3.2 Mondial Coupe is probably the most cost-effective (cheap) Ferrari out there.

All the 3.2 cars have been lauded as very reliable. I personally think that there are just too many things that can go wrong with the 400 cars; if I were limited to $25K, I would choose the Mondial 3.2. It's a more well-known car than the 400 cars and easier to work on and obtain parts for.

This month's Asking Price Index at Ferrari Market Letter indicates that the asking market for 400 cars is about $23,000; 400i = about $25,000; and Mondial 3.2 coupe = about $26,000.

Mondial 3.2 coupe! :D

14. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Believe me. Done correctly it's no small feat. The torque tube and
    differential have to be unbolted and moved out of the way before you can even contemplate moving the transmission to get to the clutch. Replacing a clutch in a 308 is a much simpler affair.

I wasn't knocking your car, just stating the fact that it's considerably more money to repair.

Wil de Groot

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    They're both too expensive to fix if you buy one with loads of maintenance needs. That said, a Mondial and a 400 are two very different beasts. If they were the same, I wouldn't own one of each. :D

Drive everything in your price range (308 GTB/S, GT4, Mondial, 365/400/400i). Find what floats your boat the best and get the best example you can find. When you tire of it, repeat the process...