86 Mondial Starter location | FerrariChat

86 Mondial Starter location

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rascalif, Oct 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    I've gone through the archives and have not had any luck with this question. Can anyone tell me where the starter for the 86 Mondial Cab is located? I'm having the same problems everyone has discussed regarding problems with hot starts. Also, a diagram for the starter wiring would really be helpful.

Thanks!

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The starter on the transverse engined cars in on the front of the car side of the engine under the front headers engaging the flywheel which is on the left side of the car.
    A hot place, indeed.

3. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Thank you! I just found out that the alternator is not charging the battery either, so I have to get past this problem first before working on the starter.

Sigh. When it rains it pours.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is not uncommon. Note that the alternator even has it's own cooling duct. I've also heard that crossfitted larger capacity alternators and non-italian voltage regulators are a good idea ( more reliable and less expensive). Just have a quality shop take off the right rear wheel and wheelwell (a few simple screws) and access is straightforward. While you are there it's easy enough to change the gas filter while you're there (always a good idea).
    Good luck
    best
    rt

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Search starter solenoids. I replaced mine recently with an ACE manufactered one. No more hot start problems. I was able to call them on the phone and they mailed it out for $15.

6. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Thanks all for the great feedback. Went ahead and had the alternator rebuilt and sure enough, the car starts now even when hot. Wish I had thought to replace the gas filter while I was at it though.

You guys rock!