thoughts on the Daytona and other V12 market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

thoughts on the Daytona and other V12 market

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by sjvalin, Sep 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geltman

geltman Rookie

Aug 8, 2004
    I hope this copied properly. Let me know what you think.
    Everyone that spends this much money on a "hobby" needs a lot of positive reinfoecement. (and ammunition to use on ones spousal unit)

2. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    "Everyone that spends this much money on a "hobby" needs a lot of positive reinfoecement. "

Very nice, thanks for sharing the pics. BTW, that car is an "investment", along with being a hobby. Also a piece of sculpture, art, history, and transportation. Very, very practical choice.

3. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I think prices are going up right now on anything interesting. For example, you could find a very nice (NOT replica) Alfa TZ for $200,000 about 2 years ago, and now 0003 and 0075, both real cars, and both needing restoration, have asking prices around $400,000!!

I was just offered an interesting 1948 "etceterini" that is powered with a BMW 2 cylinder motorcycle motor. The car is real and not a replica, but it has no major successes such as a class win in the MM or Targa, and the asking price is 95,000 Euros...about $125,000!!!

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Dang. Cannot figure out how to view those. They download in a word file, then all I see is the photo icon and nothing I tried actuallys shows the photos.

Can someone post the actual photos?

Terry

5. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I too have noticed that daytonas offered for sale have somewhatr shrunk. I had one of my two daytonas offered for sale, had a buyer at 150,000 earlier this year who backed out without even seeing the car...after he researched its history and was convinced that it is what he wanted.

I think good daytonas arent going to be offered below $150,000. Soon they will be 200,000 for a well sorted out model. Take a look at some of the prices: I sold a spare used average condition steering wheel for $650.00; bought two turn signal outside light assemblies for $ 1000.00 and two plastic covers for the same for $700.00. Imagine what it would cost to restore a condition 3 (whtever 3 stands for) into a 2 or a 1. Heck, a tool kit for such a car is over $5000.00

I say buy the best for the best price you can afford, and then be prepared to tinker with the darn thing for ever.

By the way, I removed the two flaps letting air out to the floor and the AC is far better than ever before. I was having some issues with the AC not being cold enough ( atypical problem with daytonas) and this did seem to help.

6. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Reading these threads makes me kind of sad. In summer I thought I had the chance of picking up a Daytona. Unfotunately he upped his price and it would now be a real stretch. They are beautiful machines IMO.

Geltman...I've posted your pictures here, hope thats OK.
    Looks lovely, it certainly twinkles in the sunlight :)

Cheers
    Simon

7. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    well, here's another beauty:

8. geltman

geltman Rookie

Aug 8, 2004
    Thanks for opening and showing the photos. I guess I need some photo posting and messaging lessons from someone more computer literate than me.

As of this message, no bigsurprises yet on what I expected to have to repair.
    I am actually under the 10K estimate with all the underside rust redone. The only thing I missed was a leaking O ring on the timing chain tensioner and a leak from the water pump gasket.
    Can anyone give me a realistic idea of what new Mouse hair should cost (installed)?
    I too, am convinced that Daytona prices will continue to rise for good cars.
    We see this with all models. The cream brings the cash, and the trash goes begging.

9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

The mousehair material, enough to do the dash, should run about $800 from Reoriginals.

Having it properly installed is a fairly big task since the entire dash has to come out of the car. My total bill including the materials was about $3500 for the dash, but this was done at the same time as some other stuff so its harder to tell if the charge for dash related repairs was all that accurate.

I would figure between $3500 and $4000 is about right.

Terry

10. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    $ 800 for the material is about right.

If you can remove the dash yourself, it should take some 3-4 hours I am told. Reinstalling will take the same amount of time. 8 hours at $100 per hour at the F dealer is 800.

Covering the dash is not brain surgery, but there is cutting, sewing and so on. I figure a shop will charge 1000-1500.

So Total is about 3000, right in line with Terry's estimate. Finding a guy who can do the job properly is another subject. Joe Nitti did mine in Atlanta 14 years ago...he was not very good.

Good luck.

11. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    My experience with this is in line with coach- my total was about $3500 and it is perfect.

12. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Looking at the pictures this does not look like a 3,000 mi. car. Also there are potential problems with low milage cars. You can buy this time capsule and find out that you need a $35,000 engine rebuild because the seals are shot. Be patient and buy the best car your money can afford. Good Daytonas are hard to find. My rule of thumb is find a great drive train, breaks etc.,have two accomplished mechanics check it out independently and (I know I will get flack for this) do not buy a Daytona with out a leak down test.

I feel now is the best time to get a Daytona. These low prices will not last for ever. Remember the 1990 hysteria when Daytonas were selling for $500,00 plus? The number of cars produced did not seem to deter buyers then. Then they were over valued. Now they are under valued.

The flavor of the month is now the Lusso. I believe the next in line will be the Daytona. Just don't know when. Will stick my neck out and say that I expect the Daytonas to move to $250,000 in the next couple of yours.

Why? It has withstood the test of time, has a pretty good racing history and was the last front engine V12 that Ferrari built with out Fiat in the works. Also it happens to be georgous.

Unless you are 5'2" inches tall and have jockey-width shoulders, rumors that this car has hard steering is simply not true. The car steers just fine as long as the cars is moving. It takes a while to get the feel of driving this car but once done it is a blast! Paul

I

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    At current prices daytonas are a baragin...but I do think they feel a bit "trucky" in relation to some other Ferraris....especially at low speeds....

14. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I have spoken with a number of brokers, all of which are actively looking for Daytonas for their customers. Most feel that the Daytona IS the current flavor of the month! One local SF bay area broker who mainly deals with the high end of the Ferrari market says that the really exceptional Daytonas are never advertised, so go unnoticed by those who make pricing guides. He is currently working a deal for a $250K Daytona coupe!

Will Daytona prices be following Lussos and 275GTB's in the next year???

-steve

15. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I know the coupe you're referring to (how many other $250K coupes could there be in San Fran?) - it's the nicest one I've seen!

16. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    xs10shl,

in your view, what makes it worth so much? Is it original? restored? I'd be curious to hear anything you can say about the car...

I love your collection, by the way! If the stock market hadn't tanked in 2001 (or, really, if I hadn't been so greedy and just cashed out then!), I would have a VERY similar collection!

-steve