Mondial t Preferences | FerrariChat

Mondial t Preferences

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hank sound, Sep 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi folks,
    There's a Mondial t Cab in my future. I"m not crazy about the seat belt setup in the 90-93 models so I'm leaning towards an 89. Please share your thoughts and or experiences.
    With thanks, Hank

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The 1989 is a great model.

2.5 Motronic controls are not as sophisticated as the later - but still solid.

A simple car to work on really (when it needs it). I quite enjoy mine.

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi,
    I understand that the 2.7 Motronic upgrade is available (do we know to request it?). It would make my 89 Mondial t - - the cat's meow!!!
    By the way, wasn't Rubenho's race SUPERB???!!!
    Never forgetting Florida - - with all my heart, Hank

4. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Serial #s for the t range from approx. 80000 to 97000. When I was looking for my t Cab I wanted to get the best car available and figured that a car with a later VIN should be better in build quality. Mine has 97397, it was one of the last t Cabs ever built. It also has the Valeo clutch, an option only available in later models.

But I can understand, that the "improvements" to the interior of later US t cabs are rather unattractive. I think in the end it doesn´t matter whether the car has 11 or 15 years on it but rather what happened to the car in those years.

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi AR!,
    Today, I made my commitment to purchase a red/tan Valeo Cab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please join me on "Let's See All Our Mondials" thread in the Showroom division. I'd love to see shots of yours.
    Shanghai should be fun this weekend!
    Cheers, Hank

6. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    I've had both a 92 and 89...same issues overall but prefer the belts so I went for an 89 on the second time around. Glad to hear you found what you wanted...welcome to the pratical Ferrari club.

- JMG

7. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Can you take pictures of you trans? How is it driving a valeo clutchless trans?
    Erik

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Thanks John,
    I was so intent on finding only an 89, but then I started doing proper research. The shift-but-clutchless concept always intrigued me and - well - my overall impression was and still is; standard tranny people blow off the Valeo yet, Valeo owners rave about its "contemporary" features. I know, F1 is hydraulic and Valeo is electronic. So - - I hear that it works pretty damn well! Well, I've gone and done it now so, here in Southern California, I'll drive it like my Saab (extensively) - and go from there. If I lived in San Francisco, even though I know how to use the handbrake, would the Valeo have any decent life span? Anyone up in SF with a Valeo? Would love to hear from you.

By the way, one day after I test drove a standard shift Mondial, I was on an accident affected Los Angeles freeway in my Saab. "Valeo" was a sweet sounding word during that drive home!

Thanks for the welcome to the "Practical Ferrari Club". So I guess you like the beach chair, cooler chest and luggage part?!? And I love the "Gross Family" website!
    Cheers, Hank

9. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey, congrats on the purchase :)

What is the VIN of your t Cab?

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Thanks, I just hope Hurricane Jeanne doesn't gobble up sweet little SN #93123 before shipment out to California. If all is OK, I should see her at my front door within two weeks. I can't wait!
    Saw yours in "Let's See All Our Mondials" - So beautiful!!!
    Best, Hank

11. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Erik,
    In anticipation of the delivery of my 92 red/tan/tan Valeo, I was asking the same questions of anyone who drives or drove a Valeo car. I hear only glowing reports from people who know the Valeo - - and negative stuff who don't. Some of them don't know how to spell the word (try Valejo).
    AR! feels his Valeo shifts smoother and slightly faster than any "t" car he's driven. I loved reading his reply!
    By the way, interior wise, everything looks standard relative to the the shift gate and lever. There is no clutch pedal since that is handled by the Valeo (French Co.) electronic unit and computer brain which throws the clutch for you. The brake pedal is larger. With limited room in the footwell, this is a really good thing. I know - - "HOW DO IT KNOW?" when and why and how to throw the clutch. It senses your movement of the shift lever and foot pressure on the gas pedal. I guess the rest is Ferrari Magic. And yes, after I take delivery, I will post some pictures. I can't wait!!
    Good luck in school, Hank

12. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
  13. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I've got a Merc A160 with the same style valeo clutch. Maybe its by Valeo themselves, not sure. But its great around traffic, and works very well. Personally on the ferrari i'd prefer the manual, but saying that i've not driven a mondial with the valeo.