Buying a F355 - help please | FerrariChat

Buying a F355 - help please

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by saiid, Sep 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    Hi,
    been lurking here for a while. Finally decided to go for a 355 (posted on the main board). However, I have a few UK specific questions..

My instincts tell me to go with a dealer, such as one I have found in Middlesex which has been quite helpful. Any recommendations?

Also, what is the width of a 355. Will it fit in my garage or do I need to budget for rebuilding that too!?

TIA!

2. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    width is about 76 inches if i remember rightly, should fit in a normal size garage but may be a squeeze. i went with a dealer and got the formula ferrari warranty but that was just my personal choice. 355's are great , loved mine and will buy another one again in the future

3. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    simon355 on here has a lovely 355 spider for sale pm him if you want any details. I doubt you will find a nicer example around!!!!!!!

4. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    My old garage was 7 foot wide (pretty standard width), and my 355 went in fine. However much more concentration required compared to Porsche Boxster (also kept in same garage).

If you go with a main dealer, make sure you feel like you are getting your money's worth - i.e. best car around. Otherwise you can get some much better deals privately and at independents , but only if you know what you are doing. I got my 355 much cheaper than main dealer prices (10K ish), but have spent that money in 18 months improving it and repairing it, so it all evens out eventually !!! :)

5. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    good call ade, its all dependant on car

6. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Make sure you get a 'proper' inspection of the car done - whether's it's private or dealer. Our good man Karl did mine for me, for around £400 I think - well worth it if you're splashing out £££.

If you've got one in particular then people on here might actually know the owner, worth asking.

Rick

7. cockneyfox

cockneyfox Rookie

Sep 20, 2004
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Tony Bowe
    I bought mine from privately in Sheffiled and got Grey Paul (Main Dealer) to check it out. I think the main dealers can offer a 100 point check but I guess you need to take some of their comments with a pinch of salt.

Whatever you do.....don't buy without getting it checked by somebody who knows what they are looking at. The service bills will soon add up !

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Width is 74.8 inches and length 167.3

9. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    The Ferrari web site has all the dimensions etc on it. It was a concern when I bought mine that it might NOT fit in the garage - I measured and re-measured and had 10cms to spare (ie plenty of room). When I actual came to put the car in the garage there must only be a couple of cms each side - as long as the wing mirrors fit through the rest will make it.

Rick

10. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Be sure to check whether this is with or without mirrors. That makes all the difference to my garage/ 360 as one mirror needs to be pulled in.

Ken

11. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
  12. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    Thanks for the replies. I looked through the official Ferrari channel and yes the prices look a little steep, but not ridiculous like Porsche Centres. But, I think I'm going to have a look at a couple that are on show at Verdi in Middlesex or Rossa Corsa, who are in West London somewhere.

I have a Boxster S and an SLK previously in my garage, so sounds like that won't be a problem (SLK had massive doors!). I know its one thing getting the car into the garage, but its whether you can get out after that! A friend of mine parked an XK8 in there once and very nearly couldn't get out! LOL

If I find one that I like, should I post the details here? There are a couple of LHD ones on Verdi's site that look good. I am still trying to decide between GTB/S/Spyder and yellow/red. I'm leaning towards a red GTB at the moment.

I'm not 100% sure about LHD.. does that bother anyone else? This won't be a daily driver, so maybe it doesn't matter. But I do plan to use it whenever possible, rain or shine. :)

13. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    Ric,
    thanks for those pics... that's great. I will measure up this weekend, but I think I will be fine. I have rubber insulation matting screwed into the wall on my garage, so I can open my doors without thinking :)

I also have markers painted in the walls (two arrows) that tell me where to put the wing mirrors so that I am correctly in length-wise. I hear that some people hang a tennis-ball from a rope and then watch for it to move as they drive in, so they know where to stop, but I'm sure you know all this :)

14. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem

I got mine from KHPC in April and have had 99% reliability in nearly 4,000 miles so far. Well pleased with it. The only problem is the seat potentiometer, but that's a common fault and doesn't stop the fun! I would highly recommend checking out there website and popping down there (near Maidstone). Mine's a LHD (about £10k cheaper than RHD) and I have absolutely no problems using her in the UK.

Best of luck!

Dem

15. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    only probs i had was cat sensors but this is common