Barn find Alloy Daytona coupe on ebay | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Barn find Alloy Daytona coupe on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Chelle, Sep 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatarz

Gatarz Rookie

Sep 11, 2004
    I would just like to comment on this bidding war going on for the Daytona. I assume both hi-bid guys have contacted the selling party in Japan, had someone trustworthy verify the ownership, authenticity and condition of the car and so on. if not, the whole auction (and this long thread) could just be an exercise in futility.

If I were interested in buying the car, I would get my Japan based agent on the phone and have him show up in front of the seller, well before the auction ends, with a certified check drawn on a Japanese bank for the full amount of my comfortable purchase price. Offer the seller a take-it-now-or-leave-it decision on the spot.

The seller, having no major investment in his eBay history to protect, and being in Japan, reasonably far enough away from the American bidders to be immune from any legal repercussions, would then have to decide to cancel the auction and take the bird in the hand - the check - or let the auction run it's course and risk a fake bidding war by a couple of teenagers at the 11th hour, or whatever else might happen in the unregulated, unvetted universe of eBay.

But then this is all in my mind, and I haven't had lunch yet.

2. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Bill;

I know what you mean when you characterize E-bay. I found my GTE through ebay 2.5 yrs ago. It was in the Netherlands. I was the third highest bidder (did not win the auction that ended at $42K). In the end, both high bidders flaked. Yours truly arranged a PPI through AME Engineering in Holland, offerred in the mid 30s for the car that was essentially in 2-, 3+ condition, and had it on the container ship to California within 2 weeks.
    The marketplace is, surprise, an amazing reflection of the real world, good deals and random flakes in abundance.
    All the best.

PS> Me and one of your sales guys were once only $1.5K off on a GTC4 deal. But I hope to do business with your firm again.

thx
    luke

3. robsandiego

robsandiego Rookie

Jan 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Met these guys at monterey in 2003. They're legit.

4. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    To all concerned with this vehicle, please be advised that I nor will Symbolic Motor Car Company be bidding further on this car.

No one should take our earlier interest in this vehicle as an indication of its originality or lack there of.

All perspective buyers should do their own research and careful inspection always prior to purchasing any vehicle.

Regards,

Bill Noon

5. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    It is continuing.

Bill, thanks for the update on your plans. I'm not sure if they clarify the situation or not. :)

Erich

6. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Sorry I am out the price is getting to high and I found out that the guy who is selling the car on ebay does not own the car but is trying to sell the car before he buys the car. So the deal could still not go through.
    If the actual owner reads this message please contact me I am still willing to buy the car.

TOTO70_0

7. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The seller posted the car here for $250k first before ebay. Since he doesn't even own the car the ebay ad is very misleading, I would now suspect scam bidders raising the price to the sellers $250k original asking price.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Can't see bidding without being registered...who's on it, after Bill Noon and the Europeans dropped out....anyone know?????

Amazing it's come to light the seller doesn't even OWN it! Ebay have rules about that sort of thing?????

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No one's tag name we recognize? There's a Post in NW Section indicating someone there we may know.......

11. Gatarz

Gatarz Rookie

Sep 11, 2004
    I have identified the high bidder. He is a Ferrari enthusiast from Cranston, RI. He has a 512BB, a GTO, a TR, a 360 and a 550. Well, actually, he has posters of each of those cars on his bedroom wall. He has a Nintendo Game Boy, likes spaghetti, and hopes to get good grades in school so his dad will buy him a new BMX bike for Christmas.

Just kidding (of course). But such is the problem with buying on eBay. You never know if you are in a legit bidding war, or if you are in a bogus auction that will be relisted when the neighborhood reclusive teenage computer freak wins.

It seems it has been established that the seller in this case doesn't even own the vehicle - and therefore is essentially promugating a fraud, even if he intends to buy the car and resell it to the auction winner. Of course, this also provides the winning bidder with a perfect escape route - you can't be obligated to buy something that the seller doesn't own. Or something like that!

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Good point! Why don't we have a bidding war on it and see if we can get it past $1M.

13. Gatarz

Gatarz Rookie

Sep 11, 2004
    Arts,

I would join you in that faux bidding war - but I have a legit eBay reputation with 100% positive feedback to protect and I would cry if it got messed up! $1 Million sounds good though. Maybe $2M!

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Gatarz,

Mine is still 100% too. Let’s create new accounts ant take it to $3M! Think about it, we have the power to make it worth as much as a GTO - at least in eBay land. Remember, rumor has it that the seller is selling the car without the owners consent. Can I offer you a 1963 250 GTO? Starting bid only $5. If you bid high enough I will talk to the owner to see what we can work out.

Regards,

Art S.

15. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    wish i could find something like that in my barn

16. mike_kuhn

mike_kuhn Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Bedford, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Kuhn
    Anyone know what happened?

17. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    So much for the theory that all the good barn cars have already been found. Hehehe. Here is another one sadly waiting for a caring owner.

18. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I just want to know how someone gets a hold of such a wonderful automobile as this rare Daytona, then leaves it in a barn uncovered for decades to just rot. Makes no sense to me.

19. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Guy buys car. puts away. dies

or

guy buys car. wife finds out. guy goes missing, car is left... ;)

simple ;)

20. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

Hehe...yeah, both good theories. Actually, I read about a Lamborghini barn car that was found in an old garage and the story behind it was that the husband who owned the car was shot by his wife for some sort of reason and she just left his Lambo to rot accordingly. Strange stuff happens out there I guess.

21. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Does anybody know where that Daytona in Japan is, maybe there is somebody on this site who knows the owner.

Please contact me.

Tony van der Velden
    Netherlands
    Email:[email protected]

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'll be in Japan next week. Tell me where the car is and I'll go look at it. I don't have time for games, but if someone sends me the real information, I'll go take a look.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tony....it's right beside the empty dog food bag..............;)

24. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    Hi bubba!

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hi, little man!

Can you help find this Dusty Daytona in Japan??????

Kinda like..."Where's Waldo". Let's find the last time it bought gas, 20 years ago...that'll be a clue........