If you're going to comment on the submerged Ferrari-looking car, please do so here! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

If you're going to comment on the submerged Ferrari-looking car, please do so here!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Gatarz, Sep 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    The Alfa has a rounded rear window corner as seen in your photo, not the squared one seen on the beach car. Also, the rear quarters/taillights of the Alfa are very upright, not sloped at 30-35 degrees like the beach car.

2. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    That is probably a Modena which was a forerunner to the Calspyder. The Modena had wind wings where as the Calspyder does not. They are both replicas of a 250 California Spyder.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    poor car. that sucks, even if it is a " replica" i am sure the owner loved the poor thing just the same. notice how the ominous black chunk of asphalt appears to have gullitined the front of the car into the sand. sad. even for a replica. :(

4. Gatarz

Gatarz Rookie

Sep 11, 2004
    Not looking to incite a flame war or anything, but yes, it happens to the best of us. Just not to me (in this case) as you implied. I originated the fake-Ferrari-in-the-water posting by two whole minutes. Haw Haw!

5. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    It looks like a Modena which was a forerunner to the CalSpyder. Both of these are replicas of the 250 California Spyder. The Modena was made famous in the movie "Ferris Buller's Day Off".
    See www.calspyder.com

6. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    #31 fletch62, Sep 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This picture was taken by an AP reporter. It is about 15 miles from where I live. We were lucky to come through with very little damage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    When i posted this, it was a repost of a repost... Check the vintage section... :)

8. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    There have been a few of this post on here the last few days :) This is a replica...

9. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    It was in the Mobile paper and was emailed to me by my mother in a group of
    AP photos from Gulf Shores, AL. I live in Fairhope AL about 15 miles away and will try to check it out when I go to Gulf Shores this week.

10. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    Looks like a Modena which was a forerunner of the CalSpyder. Both of them were fiberglass replicas of a 250 California Spyder. The Modena was made famous when it appeared in the movie "Ferris Buller's Day Off".

11. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    That's a photoshop creation guys.

12. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Agreed. Something just doesn't look quite right about that slab of asphalt. It's the way it is leaning on the car, the angle of repose and how this thing could have got there in the first place.

The car would have had to wash in there first, and then the force of the storm surge would have had to lift that slab, and push it in the opposite direction in which the car moved, without moving the car. I'd wager that the asphalt slab is far heavier than the car, and any force that'd push the slab against the car would push the car out of the way farther and faster then the slab could move.

The slab appears to have come from a causeway or parking lot on the right side of the photo while the car appears to have rolled into the ocean from the left side. A storm surge would have dumped the slab in the deeper part of the channel and blown the car back from the shore like it usually does with all those little sailboats & yachts.