Thinking of getting my first F-car | FerrariChat

Thinking of getting my first F-car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by saiid, Sep 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    I'm a bit confused about where to start really.. I was thinking of an early Lambo (please don't flame!), but the running costs have scared me off. I'm currently a year into Boxster S ownership and I'm loving it. I've been tracking and touring and all the usual stuff. But in the back of my mind every now and then is the Ferrari/Lamborghini voice. I also think that I am ready for something different.

So, I was originally thinking along the lines of trading up to a 355 (or early Diablo, but I've gone off that idea), but now I am thinking (prompted by another thread here) that maybe I should keep the Boxster and run a Ferrari alongside it? Is there any point in doing that? Say for example, I found a nice 328 (or 348), how does that compare to the Boxster S? I don't care much for straight-line speed - owernship experience, touring and the odd track-day is what I like.

I also looked at 996s, but found the entry-level ones are too GT for me and turbo/GT2/3 are out of budget. I also looked at Maserati, but I'm not very keen on the look. Comments good or bad (!) appreciated. Thanks.

2. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    keep the pcar for everyday, and look at a ferrari for your FUN car.

3. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    If I was you I would keep the Boxster and get the Ferrari I can with the money at hand or however you plan on doing it. I owned a 328 and it felt more sport car than the Testarossa I just sold. Now I own a 996 Turbo and I feel just like you because the Turbo is relaxed until you push it then is a monster, also the Testarossa felt this way also but I went to the track with it and then it really shows a different character one that tells you it is worth it, but it could be very expensive to run if you want it to be a track car also. The 348 I dont know about but it borrowed design stuff from the TR. A 328 and a used 996 would be my choice.

4. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've had an older 911 for six years or so and decided that I wanted a Ferrari. Just like you I originally thought of selling the Porsche, but changed my mind and am very glad I did. I am a little reserved about beating up a Ferrari as I do my 911. I can throw the Porsche around corners, slide it, all of that fun abusive driving that I'd be too scared to do in an expensive F-car. So... Keep the Porsche as a daily sportscar and drive the F-car on weekends and for "fun".

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Pairing them together is a good idea. Fcars can be reliable, but parts when needed can take a while.

There's a fchatter locally that uses her 360 as a daily driver, and a slantnose is her weekend car!

6. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    $20,000 to $650,000 will get you a Ferrari. If you have the bread, buy it. If not, dream.

Only drive 12 cylinders

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Bart:

Your upper end is a little low. $12 million will also get you "a" as in "one" Ferrari now, too.

Drive, and enjoy. Or dream...

8. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will keep the Boxster then and run either a 308/328 alongside to start with. Bart, I'm interested in your comment regarding 12 cylinders. You would recommend a TR then over a 308/328?

Thanks.

9. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    why not get a diablo? i love f-cars but lambo's are cheaper to maintain.