Jacques Villeneuve signs with Sauber | FerrariChat

Jacques Villeneuve signs with Sauber

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by imperial83, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Sauber Petronas has signed Jacques Villeneuve as a new driver from the 2005 season onwards. The 33-year-old Canadian entered into a two- year contract, which will come into effect on November 1, 2004. Jacques Villeneuve will be the team-mate of Felipe Massa who will continue to drive for Sauber Petronas next year.

Expressing his enthusiasm about signing Jacques Villeneuve, Team Principal Peter Sauber expressed himself delighted.

"I have to admit that signing a former World Champion is something truly special for me," said Sauber. "However, I want to make it clear that this was not the decisive factor. When I was talking to Jacques, I could feel that he is absolutely keen and committed to return to Formula One. He was always a great fighter and I am convinced that together we can achieve a lot. I fully realise that signing a former World Champion is also an obligation for the team to provide him with a car that meets his expectations. Sauber Petronas has made considerable progress this year, and I am confident that we are ready to tackle this challenge."

Jacques Villeneuve, testing today with Renault at Silverstone, is also optimistic.

"I am extremely excited to be back in Formula One with the Sauber Petronas Team, and I appreciate the confidence everybody is showing in me," Villeneuve said. "It is my goal to work with Peter and his team to bring them forward in the championship during the next two seasons. In my recent visit to Sauber, I have been extremely impressed by the professionalism which is apparent throughout the factory. I am looking forward to seeing the results that will be developed by the state-of-the-art wind tunnel."

Jacques Villeneuve entered Formula One in 1996 and won a total of eleven races. He was World Champion in 1997.

The news means that F3000 Champion Tonio Liuzzi will not race with the team in 2005, but has been linked to a test role with the squad.

E.A.
    Source Sauber Petronas

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    As long as Ferrari is supplying the Sauber powerplant, Villeneuve will never be a factor in the championships

3. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    So what powerplant will enable Sauber to be a factor ????

I was hoping to see him in a Renault considering their pace this year.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Renault, Mercedes (if reliable), BMW. There's nothing wrong with the power in the other brands.

Basically, I don't see Ferrari supplying a customer with a powerplant that will truly enable them to compete with Ferrari. The customer spec motor/transmission will always be just a bit off the factory team setup. It's just the way Ferrari works, all the way back to the Breadvan days.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't count Sauber out for next season. No, they won't contend for the WC, but I expect them to be doing a lot better. It will be their first season with the new wind tunnel. This is going to be their first car entirely developed with the aid of a wind tunnel on a 24/7 basis. Also next year they will develop their own gear again.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I think we're in violent agreement :)

7. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    that's gonna be interesting :)

8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I think Sauber not contending is due more to not having the budget, staff, drivers, ties to Bridgestone etc that Ferrari has and not so much the powerplants they run.

I am a bit confused as some sites are reporting that JV is testing with Renault this week. Why would Renault run JV if he has signed with Sauber ?

9. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Other than being last years spec do you think Ferrari detunes the engines they sell to other teams?

/Peter

10. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    because briatore immediately fired trulli, and jv has to drive the last races of this season.

11. CTEV2

CTEV2 Karting

Feb 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Charlie Thomas
    Any reports on JV's Sauber salary?

12. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    FYI Sauber has been running this year's spec due to the 1 engine per race weekend rule this year. They are using Ferrari gearboxes this year and will switch back to using their own for next. As far as detuning it comes down to the electronics and software supporting the engine. Whether they are using Ferrari's or their own I'm not sure.

13. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    YESSSSSSS!!!!

The last 48 hours has been spectacular!!!
    JV testing for Renault and replacing Jarno and now JV will be in F1 for the next 2 years with Sauber!

14. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Contain yourself young man!!!

If anything, it's going to give Christian Tortora the opportunity (once more) to be JV's lackey in the press, that, and once it's going to smell of JV's farts at RDS for the next 2 years.

BTW, for those of you not familiar, RDS is the Quebec sports channel and C. Tortora is a ummmm....I guess he's a jounalist.

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Taking into consideration the effect Villeneuve's departure galvanized BAR/Honda into an almost immediate contender, so too we should expect the
    same effect now to take place at Sauber.

Any resources Sauber had set aside for chassis development, etc. will now
    be sucked into paying the most over inflated driver salary in modern F-1 history in the form of Villeneuve who most certainly must be considered the most over rated driver in F-1 period.

This is a very risky move given Sauber's precarious sponsorship packages.

BHW

16. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I agree.

If Sauber were smart, JV's salary should have only come from his own sponsors, and Sauber shouldn't have to dish out one red cent for this chap.

17. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I cannot name my sources, and you can take this info for what its worth or ignore it completely.

1) 2 year contract
    2) Completely based on performance
    3) Race win bonus
    4) Championship win bonus

Villeneuve will be completely dependent on how he performs, he will not recieve any base salary whatsoever. As I said before, you can ignore this information or take it at face value.

18. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I contribute to number 4 if it happens

19. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    £2 million salary and around £28,000 per point

20. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Sooooooo, he'll make 2 million then ;)

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  22. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I cannot wait for 2005 so i can see Massa spanking JV and KR spanking JPM on the track and listening to the two of them whining and crying ;)

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, I've never even thought Massa could spank anyone ... he looks completely out of control everytime he is in a car to me. Should be in F3 not F1 IMO.

Pete

24. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    JV will be replacing Trulli for the last 3 races. Renault still hasn't announce that JV will race but its 99.9% sure he will. If not why would they let him drive the car, just for fun? Plus Trulli will be will be testing for Toyota tomorrow and he will announce his new contract with the team.
    Trulli and Renault= finish

Why is JV going to Sauber...
    First of all he's going to Sauber next season (not this season) and thats the best F1 seat he could get. Sauber are a great team with great people working there. If I was an F1 driver ,I would drive for Sauber at least once in my career.;) Peter Sauber is a very smart man.
    Now why can't JV
    stay with Renault next year? Because they have Alonso and Fisichella already.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I honestly would rather have JV than Fisi ... atleast JV is fast!

But thanks for explaining it all.
    Pete