Barn find Alloy Daytona coupe on ebay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Barn find Alloy Daytona coupe on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Chelle, Sep 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon

With the bidding at $150k, with not quite 4 days left, it seems maybe the $250k asking price was not as far in dreamland as many have thought.

2. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    If its really the alloy bodied Conti car.... I would guess it would bring pretty strong money when fully restored. The factory alloy competition cars bring $1m+. This car of coarse has no competition history, but it is still one of EXTREMELY few alloy bodied street cars.

I would guess cost to fully restore this car would run $100K. I would also not be surprised at all if after restoration it was sold for $400K+. So.... perhaps the $250K asking price really isnt so out of line. How do you price what is in effect a unique car? I would LOVE to own that car, but my bank accounts tell another story....

Terry

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I was guessing that it was worth somewhere in the $300K range restored that it would cost a normal person less than $100K to have it done properly. For a company like Symbolic, that does its restorations in-house, the costs would be even less. I could be wrong on the value, of course. After all it's not "one of the extremely few alloy bodied street cars," it's the only alloy bodied street car.

PS: I'm sure that I'm pissing someone off by pumping this car up like this while the bidding's still on. Sorry, but I have to tell you, Bill and "Toto," you're going about the bidding all wrong on this one. Toto sets up $100K and Bill beats him out by setting up $150K -- with DAYS left on the auction. Now Toto has out bid him by setting up a high bid of who-knows-what. You guys are just running the price up. Bill, you should have waited until the last couple of minutes to bid your $150K and you would have had it at $100,999. This isn't RM, after all. Oh well...

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Now it's up to $150,000.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Noon has been bidding since the $65K level, he's after it......as you say he knows what the resto $$ costs are.....

I say it needs a PPI! LOL!

6. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Does anyone know anything about the current high bidder "toto70_0" ?

He is from the Netherlands and been on ebay for just a little over one year. His feedback score is only a 1 with only a 66.7% positive rating.

He has only bought issues of Cavallino magazine while a registered bidder.

His most recent purchase was 35 Cavallino Magazines for $195.

Before that he bought nine other Cavallino issues for $71.

Before that he purchased ten issues of Cavallino for $50.

A little over a year ago he had a dispute with a seller over some watch documents and refused to pay for an item.

To date he has spent just over three hundred dollars on ebay and this morning out-bid me on this Daytona with a bid $100 dollars over my current bid of $150,000.

I love ebay and recommend its many and varied services highly. For the most part it is one of the free markets most amazing services. I am just afraid that I might be tangling with a scam bidder or worse.

Hopefully my last bid will be the one that counts but before I go any further, I was hoping someone might be able to cast some light on this individual.

Regards,

Bill Noon

PS: Unless you cut corners or do not factor in your own hours and labor as a cost, a basket case restoration on a Daytona runs a lot closer to $200K than $100K.

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill
    Before you posted I was about to say that Bill is a friend and he knows value.
    One of a kind things are VERY valuable. If anyone knows what this car is worth it would be you.

As for resto costs you are also quite correct. Even owing one's own shop 200K can go by in a heartbeat.

Think about the extra value of an alloy 275GTB.

As for the other bidder I think he's riding on your coatails.
    Best
    Jim (J6 etc.)

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good Luck, Bill.

Wow, bidding against a Cavallino collector for a big bucks Daytona...

"Now that I've finally found Issue #11, I think I'll get an alloy Daytona..."

Too weird.....

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I have seen toto70 bid on Boxer parts also, don't think he's a scam bidder, he seems to stop when things get pricey so he's probably a dealer/parts seller or someone knowledgeable on Ferrari with a collection.

10. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Auction states "Will be an easy project".

Just bring your Cali car duster, a new battery and a few gallons of gas and drive it home, then a good detail and a new clutch it will be good to go.

So they parked it for 20 years due to not wanting to replace the clutch, interesting.

Don't Japanese cars have serious rust issues due to the salt air and moisture from the ocean?

11. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Bill,

I would use a sniping service, like auctionsniper, which will bid on your behalf seconds before the auction ends. You don't want to go driving up the price pre-maturely! I've used sniping services to good effect in the past.

Good luck on the car. We'd all love to see it back on the road!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Aluminum would not.........except the frame and suspension of course!

Electrolysis at the bonding points, etc., there would be a little to address, I'm sure.

The same thought crossed my mind..."What, you couldn't find a CLUTCH PLATE???????" LOL!

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Bill, certainly you would know better than I. The positive side is that, other than the alloy roof/quarter panels, it's still a Daytona and parts are available and wouldn't have to be fabricated. Also, it does appear to be a complete car with little or no damage. I think the biggest concern would be undoing any frightful stuff that might have occurred during its prior restoration.

14. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I am sure Bill N is savvy with the Ebay last minute tricks and techniques, this is typical auction positioning and getting an idea of where your competition is at. I don't think this car as rare as it is would sell for $109k if its for real.

There could be and usually are several auction lurkers waiting for the end to snatch it up.

Bill my advice to you would be contact the seller and tell him you are for real vs the unknown factor of bidders with no history and ask him what he would take to end the auction now.

15. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Bill,

I did the same research as you on "Toto". I wouldn't be concerned about his watch purchase not happening as the seller was removed from e-bay afterwards. The trouble is, if you win the auction you will never know whether Toto would have been good for the money, but then that's the same with all auctions.

It's out of my league now and I hope you get it. Would love to see some proper pics when you get it home.

Good luck!
    Steve

16. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Do not worry, my bidding is not a scam I just want the car.

TOTO70_0

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! Wierdness Catagory 5!

Now if the seller joins us, we can settle this here!!

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    has anyone ever seen Tom Shaughnessy and tot070_0 in the same room at the same time??? hmmmmm

19. George H.

George H. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    George Hoover
    Just out of curiosity, since we appear to have two genuine bidders on board, what kind of due diligence have you guys done to insure that this is the real deal (especially considering the seller's checkered history).

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Hmmmm.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tom has his own Fchat LogIn.....this one's brand new, as of today.......

22. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I was totally kidding

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    It's funny how everything Ferrari-related seems to find its way here sooner or later. The Seller has already posted on F-Chat and now so have both bidders.

Anyway, it really is a rare car and it'll be great to see it recovered and properly restored. Good luck to all involved.

PS: Toto is not Tom. We know what Tom's secret bidder name is.;)

24. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Ok.....stop...stop....stop...

I can not even begin to thank you guys enough for all your help. I have received 44 private emails this morning and there is no way I am going to be able to respond to all of you individually.

On a typical day I have 35-40 regular email inquiries to deal with regarding my classic pre and post-war race and road cars. I am going to be here to midnight with the extra inquiries this one car has generated.

Suffice to say thank you each and everyone for your attention to detail and assistance with this car.

For all those concerned...yes I did sell 14107 again. For those of you who are counting this makes the fifth time this car has passed through our hands in four years. It has finally achieved its current real market value and the car will no be raced in the European Ferrari / Maserati Challenge Series as well as the Tour Auto and Le Mans Classic with its new German owners who are both good friends and well as clients.

My email inquiries and early bidding on the ebay car using my own name have served their purpose. I am in touch directly with all involved in this auction including the current high bidder who I wish well.

Obviously I have a specific plan or I would have bid on the car using another ebay id.

For obvious reasons, I am afraid I can not reveal the private information I have on this car or its current owner.

I wish I could but am sure you all understand much of what I do must remain private. My business is one of passion however these passions also have a cost and therefore are driven by fair profit from good business.

I wish each of you great success in all you do and thank you again for both your direct and indirect assistance.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon

25. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS