A Mondial can really be a 2 + 2! | FerrariChat

A Mondial can really be a 2 + 2!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Gatorrari, Sep 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    At the Talladega Gran Prix Raceway track day on Saturday, I was not surprised to see a Mondial pull up into the spectator parking area. But I was surprised to see four people get out of it! I don't think I had ever seen people sitting in the back of any Ferrari mid-engined 2 + 2 before.

Yes, the back-seaters were kids, but they weren't young kids. They were fraternal twins, a boy and a girl, who I believe were about 12 or 13. And when I looked into the car, there was a reasonable amount of legroom in back.

The father told me he had bought the car from FoA just about 5 days before and was still learning it. He said that leaving enough legroom for the kids wasn't a problem, since he had to slide the seat far enough forward to be able to fully depress the clutch. Of course, when the kids get a little older, he may have a problem.....

The car, BTW, was a very nice '89 Mondial t cabriolet, red with cream interior. I'm sure they will be very happy with it.

2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I have ridden in the back seat of my QV Cab and aside from the most obvious drawback (being a passenger!) it isn't that bad. I wouldn't want to ride in the back seat cross country, but if someone needs a lift it works fine.

3. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've had an infant car seat in the back of an '89 Mondial t. I'll be honest, I had to flip the seat back forward and install on the back of the seat back, if that makes any sense to gain enough height and depth so my wife could at least 'fit' into the front passenger seat (seat back almost verticle and seat pulled forward) My daughter thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. My wife, on the other hand, 'tolerated' it.

She's not a very large woman either, 5'6" 115 lbs and she was pretty well crammed in there.

I think the Mondial t is one of the best all around driving cars out there. That was the last time we were able to go out in a Ferrari as a family unit. Now with the 348, it's mostly solo.

4. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    I'd say that 50% of the time I use my car I have at least one back seat passenger. I have two daughters, 9 and 13, who require a lot of "taxi service" to and from all the things they do. I don't mind it as much when I can do it in the mondial. I previoiusly had a 280sl that didn't get driven much because it had only 2 seats....

5. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Just bought my first Fcar - a 1990 3.4t Mondial convertible - every trip so far seems to involve at least 3 people!

To be honest I think the ability to have a Ferrari convertible, which is also a family car is quite simply awesome.

About time that the powers that be at Ferrari got there act together and produced a new 2+2 convertible - I am sure it would be a real winner.

Kevan

:) See you down the road - with big smiles on our faces! :)

6. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    once you are in the back its really comfortable, if a bit lacking in legroom but hey....this is a Ferrari! Nobody has ever complained whilst being my passenger (not that I could hear them over the engine anyway!!)

7. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    congrats kevin. I hope the mondial makes a good 2+2, I am doing my research on them, following the market, and hopefully will buy my first fcar around december or january. only bad news is that I have to sell my ducati. wont be as fast, but will be just as pretty. leaning towards a mondial 3.2 cab.

8. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Thanks Jon

Good luck with the search. I was originally pointed in the direction of a 3.2 cab as I was advised that the cambelt servicing is easier and therefore a far cheaper car to run.

Have to say I went for the newest lowest mileage(26k) one I could find at a sensible price.

Kevan
    :) See you down the road - with big smiles on our faces! :)