Official Thread: 250 GTO Rebody on GTE s/n 3873 | FerrariChat

Official Thread: 250 GTO Rebody on GTE s/n 3873

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by ferrariguy, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariguy

ferrariguy Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2002
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Lawrence Yee
    #1 ferrariguy, Aug 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all, I was at a European car picnic here in sleepy Victoria, British Columbia, Canada yesterday and this was there. It's co-owned by a guy I know (He's right beside me looking in the engine bay) with a fellow in New York. It's not one of the original 39. The story goes is that it crashed in 1991 and was rebodied by Scaglietti. It does have an original GTO drivetrain and it sounds incredible. I didn't get a chance to hear the whole story from the co-owner. I did get to try it out for size though (fits me like a glove). Anybody know more about this car? Anyways here's some pics:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Lawrence,

Did you get the S/no. of the car ?

Seb

3. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    I think people are interested in seeing if it is a real GTO or say, a Favre GTE.

T.

4. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Well, for starters, Scaglietti didn't rebody anything to a replica GTO in 1991. Period. (And for another thread, Scaglietti wasn't chopping tops off C4s, either.)

Second, it may have a drivetrain to GTO specifications, but I'm quite certain that it doesn't have a "real GTO drivetrain."

Wayne Ausbrooks may know the chassis number, but it's strictly a replica; Favre, Greg Jones (whose replica GTOs are every bit as good) or whoever. Just not Scaglietti.

OG

5. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Mabe not a real Scaglietti, but still looks pretty good.

6. ferrariguy

Aug 17, 2002
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Lawrence Yee
    I did take a pic of the front windshield with some registration numbers (I think) on it. The tags are from New York. I'll upload a pic tonight. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How many gears?

Very rare to be a five speed Ferrari box ... and thus will go a long way to confirming if it is a replica or not.

Pete

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Bonnet bulge suggests it is based on a 330-chassis or at least has a 4-litre engine. Aux. lights are incorrect, but overall shape looks quite OK. Usually replica builders mess up the side window line which easily makes the car look clumsy.

I've tried to archive photos of all replicas, but many cars - especially of those built using 330-chassis. My wild guess would be 6293GT, apparently an unknown GTE-chassis renumbered to match the 330-engine installed. This car is a 330 GTO-replica quite recently seen around New York.

Can you check the chassis number?

Best wishes, Kare

9. ferrariguy

Aug 17, 2002
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Lawrence Yee
    #9 ferrariguy, Sep 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    3873GT, the chassis number shown on the windshield sticker, was built as a 250 GTE 2+2, originally consigned to Maranello Concessionaires in the UK. So, as previously stated, this is a replica.

And Pete, the presence of a five speed gearbox proves...that it has a five speed gearbox. They're available, including some excellent reproductions. (For that matter, there's at least one replica GTO running around with a BMW 635 ZF gearbox. The shift tower on that car looks absolutely authentic. There's another GTO replica using the BMW standard gearbox. A gate with a shift pattern of four gears forward and two back is a dead giveaway.)

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I thought 635's manual tranies were Getrags.

12. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Looks like a Greg Jones car to me. Very nice. Many of the real GTOs have things on them that prompt people to say "replica." I once heard someone tell George Dyer jr., "is that a fiberglass or alloy replica?" George just grinned (and later sold the car for 4,5,6 million? - I guess it doesn't make much difference when you paid $20,000 for it!)

13. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here

Hmmm. I recalled ZF, but I could very well be wrong. It's been quite a few years since I had one (which almost became a donor for a GTO replica). Mine was a European version. Did that make a difference?

14. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Hmm perhaps, US spec cars were almost all autos, and thus most manuals were the 633's, using a Getrag 5 spd if I recall. Later Euro 635's may have used ZF's, I will find out and get back to you.

15. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    In my data, 3873 GT is a DK replica based on a 250 GTE red (in 2003) and RHD ?
    Gilles

16. Craigger

Craigger Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    I have a 635csi with sport package (front air dam, rear rubber spoiler, recoros) euro bumpers etc, and it has a getrag. 4 up top two down

greatest car i have ever owned

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Cool, I have a 633CSi. Nothing special really, Recent repaint silver on blue, 16s from my E38 with 225/50 rubber, need to get spacers as the front spring is awful close.

And there you go, I was right, it is a Getrag. Not getting that old yet! :)

Craigger, please fill out your profile, you may be nearby and we can have 6er cruises. :)

18. ferrariguy

Aug 17, 2002
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Lawrence Yee
    Does anybody know who did the bodywork? I felt around the edges of the 'gills' and the rear duct and it was smooth (the metal edges were rolled in). Very nice work!

19. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    This is getting to be something of a thread hi-jack, but my 1979 European 635 gearbox was three forward, three back -- reverse (foward) and first (back) in the left slot. (Same pattern as the Ferrari five-speeds, which is one reason it was usable in a replica.) Getrag or ZF?

And I agree -- great car. I put over 100,000 miles on mine.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes good point ... but there are some GTO replicas that have the original GTE 4 speeder. I guess atleast that keeps all the original running gear together. But IMO the car is FNCKED anyway ... so might as well throw the gearbox away and put in a 5 speeder.

Pete

21. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The Getrags 260 were with 3 forward, including reverse, with first a forward and the second one over, in this form (Getrag 260):
    R_1_3_5
    __2_4__

History was that it was always a Getrag 260 unless it was an '85, when it was an 265, for U.S. spec cars.

You may have had the G265 or possibly a ZF unit.

22. Geaff950

Geaff950 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
  23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It is nearly impossible to tell from just one internet picture. A S/N would help.

The back window tells me that it is NOT a typical Datsun 240/60/80 replica.

A real one would be selling for millions.

24. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    s/n 3873 started its life as a GTE (and RHD, btw)

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The picture shows L/H. The GTE was R/H?