Ex-Skeets Dunn 250GT PFII at Christies (hits the block tomorrow) | FerrariChat

Ex-Skeets Dunn 250GT PFII at Christies (hits the block tomorrow)

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by sagaponack, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    What do you guys think of this car?

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/search/LOTDETAIL.ASP?sid=&intObjectID=4331948

I remember bidding on this car two years ago when it was at FMSOCAL. I could have had it for $175k. Sheehan thought it really needed to be restored. That people kept buying it and delaying doing any serious work on the car.

This is my favorite vintage F car in my favorite color. What do you guys think?
    What's the right price here? Any stories about it's history?

Best,

Rob

www.bridgemc.com

2. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm no expert but that estimate seems high to me. Maybe this car is special provenance-wise but I have in mind these cars are generally under $200K. I do look at the 250 PF and the 275 GTS pretty often - not really shopping yet but I do want an open 12-cylinder with Borranis and these are the most obtainable for me.

Cheers
    Kevin

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Two years ago at 175K and they claim an engine rebuild in the past year. That would put you in it over 200k in 2002 dollars. I recently bought one because I too love the classic lines, and I believe this vintage is on the move upward value-wise. We will know tomorrow.

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Here is one that is in Hemmings for $139,900. Needs total restoration.

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    it doesn't say the paint or interior are original, so i assume they are not.

so it's not fully-restored and it's not fully-original.

they do have the hardtop, which is nice.

it'll be very interesting to see what it goes for!

doody.

6. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I would love to bid on it. I could only do it by telephone and I have no one to check it out.

I know the condition from two years ago but I have no idea what happened in the interim.

Do you think sheehan would check it out?

Best,

Rob

www.bridgemc.com

7. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Did anyone on the board attend the Christie's auction?

8. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    UPDATE: Per the Christie's website, the car sold for $282,500, including the buyer's premium.

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    This seems very overpriced. But times are a-changing...
    Not long ago, these were $200K cars.

10. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    wow 282.5. very impressive. that's above the high estimate. does anybody know what the buyers premium % was? i couldn't find it on their site.

i'd love to pick up the fixer-upper, but although i clearly have a screw or two loose, 139 large for a total restoration is more than i can rationalize!

doody.

11. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great value!! Gee, there is one in my garage - with original covered headlights. I guess I’ll stop using it to plow the back forty......

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    13% on top of bid of 250K

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There was one 250 PF Cab that was nice at the Concourso Italiano and one that was show quality at Pebble. The huge price discrepancy between these cars and the 250 PF Cab Series I and the California LWB are not warranted in my opinion. Some of the auction prices were kind of lackluster over the weekend but the 250 PF Cab series II was strong and I think the series II will continue to appreciate at a greater rate than most other "affordable" classic Ferraris. That's one of the reasons I just got one.
    The first photo is the car at Concourso Italiano, the second at Pebble Beach.