What is this Mondial worth? | FerrariChat

What is this Mondial worth?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Aug 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    OK, I'm talking to a guy about a Mondial I haven't seen yet. It's an '82 Mondial 8. It has terrible paint, needs to be repainted. Lousy interior. Hasn't been driven in 10 years (!) but he claims it starts and runs. Basically, we're looking at a project car here. Minimum, it will need seals, belts, hoses, tires, a paint job and upholstery work. Then the other stuff that crops up. Here in MA it would need to pass smog until 2006 when the car is 25 years old. The guy is asking $12K which is rediculous in my opinion. What's it worth? I can do all the work myself except paint and upholstery. I'm considering it if I can get it cheap enough that its worth the effort to fix it. Then there is my wife to convince...

I'll hopefully have a pic to post shortly.

Birdman

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I almost forgot, 16,000 miles. (Obviously this guy needed to be out driving this car a hell of a lot more).

3. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Needs paint, interior& unknown amount of mechanical work?

I'd say it's worth about nothing.

Be better of to find a good one (or at least decent) rather then trying to fix that one up.

It's not worth it. The parts and labor will offset the final value (which for a Mondial 8 "2 valve" is way low).

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    agreed best 8 is worth low 20's on a very good day, more like high teens - he should be lucky to get 5k

5. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Well, since you can do most of the work yourself...and paint and interior will cost at least $7,000....maybe $3,000....

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Would agree that the best car in the world is $20K, maybe a bit more on it's very best day. The car you describe, well, is pretty much a shell.
    The work is pretty straightforward. The parts will be expensive though. There are cheaper aftermarket components that may save you some if pure concours stock is not an issue. Would not worry much about emissions because it will be 2006 before you may finish...
    good luck
    rt

7. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    i've seen and heard of a very similar run down Mondial

it isn't black is it ?

i think the car is worth $6k