Info about the 275 gtb 6/C to be at Christies | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Info about the 275 gtb 6/C to be at Christies

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by schein609, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Which all sounds like you are after an investment not a car ... while this may or may not be a good investment, I hate people who buy Ferraris just because they can make a buck from them ... they are supposed to be CARS and to be enjoyed via driving ... not a post sale orgasim.

Pete's very humble opinion

2. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    Don't get me wrong this car is going to be driven, I don’t think anything is dumber than just putting a car in a garage to let it sit. Just because im asking if this car is worth whats being asked doesn’t mean that im just interested in the amount of money that could be made from it and that we are not going to drive it. You have completely the wrong interpretation, the car will be driven like it was supposed to be driven.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Good luck with it. I love these cars and simply want to see them looked after and appreciated.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    PSk's giving ya the thumbs up ... lucky man ;)

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A few points. Keep in mind that I've owned one of these. I drove mine 65K miles on nice days, in the rain and in the snow. On the day they lowered the national speed limit to 55 as a protest against excessive goverment regulation I drove mine from Boston to NYC in two hours.
    Anyone who buys one of these cars with out driving one first is an idiot. They are quite different than a modern car. The controls are HEAVY. In the summer the cockpit gets up to about 130. In the winter the oil does not move off the peg for 30 minutes. The valve guides are weak and unless they were replaced with hardened ones the car will smoke like Belmondo. It won't run on unleaded with out this modification either. Using the clutch will cause Popeye leg unless and you use a weight machine to build up your other one you will walk funny. The wipers suck and the defroster is a sponge covered chamois. You must install aux rad fans and even with them it will overheat in traffic. If you let off the gas too quickly at speed unless you are as good a driver as me you will spin. If you attempt to "Trail Brake" you'd better be a better driver than me. The wires look nice but they flex and if you get in too deep you won't get out.

If this one has sat for too long it's 150K to get it right. If you don't get it right those circa 67 lines will leak and your car will burn to the ground. The 67 date of mfg. makes it slightly less desirable in Europe as cutoff for some events is 66. Not a car for a beginner.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Napolis,

Well said.

Schein609,

Its your (or your father's money). As an investment your father probably can do better in his normal line of moneymaking. As a driver, you are definitely diving into unknown waters head first. If getting into Ferrari V-12s, especially 6 carb set-ups, you should know a mechanic with lots of experience ahead of time. Aluminum bodies are not forgiving - easy to dent, hard to straighten. Performance-wise, a lightly modded M3 will beat the 275. For cruising, only 1% of the people will know or care that this car was twice as much as a regular GTB.

It’s a beautiful special car; if it’s what you really want buy it. However, if you really don't know a lot about these cars, $500K+ seems like a lot for an impulse purchase. All of this being said, this is a fun thread even if you aren't serious.

Good Luck,

Art S.

7. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Great post Napolis, it's facinating to hear the gritty reality of owning a classic. Reading between the lines of your post, there is still a very apparent respect and passion despite all the issues you mentioned.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Absolutely. It's a GREAT car.

9. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    ArtS- we are good friends with an excellent mechanic and restorer, you probably have heard of Classic Coach Ferrari in NJ. We are friends with the owner and we have seen his work and he does a great job, so we have the mechanic part taken care of. My dad in the past has driven v-12 Ferraris and knows thats its not a simple task, so we have a good idea of what we are getting into. The owner of classic coach (our friend) is going to be down in Monterey, so before any bids are placed we will be in good contact with him about the car. So its not just going to be one of those "oh that looks nice, think ill buy it" kind of purchase. We are going to learn about the car and then from there on we will make a decision. And as ive said before we love cars, and this car isnt going to be bought just to be sold to make a quick buck.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My fathers Jensen Intercepter used to have this issue ... was caused (I believe) by weak front shocks, ie. lifting off caused the torque to be removed and thus the front lowered. Remember a Chrysler 383 v8 has mucho torque so when you had your foot planted the front was light for a very long time ;). We had rebuilt the front suspension bushes wise but did not replace the shockers (should have I know, but it was a cruiser ... and we were spending money on our race cars). We also rebuilt the rear suspension and found the panhard rod was bent and thus the axle was not sitting even in the chassis ... interesting and why ALL old cars need that major preparation mechanical rebuild before using.

Jim, Do you think this was caused on the 275 (and I am assuming this is a standard issue that affects all 275's) by rear wheel steering caused by the independent rear? ... surely Ferrari would have known what they were doing due to all the race cars with independent rears?? (then again they were driven by race drivers ;))

Yep wires suck. If you want to spend all your time maintaining a car and never driving it ... put wires on it IMO.

Pete

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Pete
    I think it was an aero issue. The short nose cars were worse at speed the nose got very light. Mine was a long nose alloy 2 cam with a torque tube. The torque tube helped but when you lifted, and I'm talking over 150mph, on a track of course, the front got very light. As long as you were on the throttle it stayed down but you had to lift slowly and make sure the front wheel settled before you rolled on the brakes. You also had to remember to brake, in a straight line before you had to turn in. Once you reached the apex you could stand on it but my car at least seemed to respond to clean braking, turning, and accelerating rather than a blend if that makes sense.
    Best

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting and tricky (especially on a public road ;)). Yes sounds slightly different to Dads Jensen, his car used to move around while the front settled (I'm talking around 120mph ... but it probably happened from 80mph up), but otherwise the same solution. Pity because it was an otherwise great car and really balanced ... except for the fuel thirst ;)

Pete

13. italia

italia Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The 275 Nart and all 275's are beautiful cars.
    In fact that is why I am here. I only wish I could contemplate such cars. But I am not experienced enough (nowhere near) to get the most out of one. Or even enough to make a difference. The M3's I have experience with are much easier.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Can I be a baby for a second and just say I want a 275 so bad it hurts!

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yes. (Looking forward to seeing you)

16. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The poor kid (well, maybe not so poor) has, in a few very articulate postings, asked this forum its opinion the the Christie's car.

It's ok to give him some advice. I don't buy this "you have to be worthy to buy it" stuff. I did not get the sense he was looking to make a quick buck on it---who can make a quick buck at a Christie's Monterey auction any way?

He was just trying not to get taken.

Let's face it. We are all here to talk about and have fun with cars. We are not curing terminal diseases.

Respectfully,

Rob

www.bridgemc.com

Enjoy your Car at BMC

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Rob,

I don't think people disagree with you. My answer was not aimed at worthiness. My comment was more focused on making sure he and his dad understood what they were getting into in order to avoid very expensive buyer’s remorse. If he and his father decide to buy the car, I wish them all the best. I'm sure Frank at Classic Coach will take care of them.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Schein609, if you and your dad get the car, enjoy it out there before you bring it back east.

PPS. You can have 90% of the fun for 10% of the price so make sure it’s what you really want.

18. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Zach,

Seen a couple of posts with this same NART Spyder - What's the S/n ?

I know were 4 (10219, 10691, 10709 & 10749), of the 10 are, any leads on the others ?

Seb