Info about the 275 gtb 6/C to be at Christies | FerrariChat

Info about the 275 gtb 6/C to be at Christies

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by schein609, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    Hey, my dad and I are going to all the Monterrey events going on and we want to get the 275 GTB 6/C Alloy Berlinetta that is going to be for sale at the Christies auction http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/search/LOTDETAIL.ASP?sid=&intObjectID=4331959

I read the description that Christies gives and it says there are only 2 long nose 275s with this "ultimate" specification, and the other doesn't have matching numbers while this one does. If you guys could give me a little more information about the car it would be great, do you guys think the car would be a good buy? Is it worth the price they are asking for it 520,000 - 580,000?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Outside filler cap :D

Yes, this has a bunch of "correct" features that make it very appealing.

Ferrari began development of the 275 in 1963 with prototype 05161GT. The first production 275s started in a "short-nose" configuration and then, for improved stability, Ferrari created a "long nose" version, introduced in 1965. This is a four-cam model, distinguished by the hod bulge. Also desirable are the external trunk hinges. This also has the sex-carburettor set up. All of these features represent the final iteration of the 275 GTB - the culmination of all the advancements of the model. This makes it very appealing.

This is not the *ultimate* 275 GTB; that would be the 275 GTB/C made speicifically for competition. But, these can cost nearly twice as much - around $1mm.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Zach,Zach, Zach
    This is a what cam?
    I had one of of these. CH hill climb car. Bought it for 6K. Sold it for 14K.

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    oops!
    oops, again!

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Sorry about that, the pictures aren't the clearest and I didn't really read the description. Anyway, The 275 was the first 4-cam Ferrari road car. This isn't one of them. The main difference you'll see is just a slight edge in power. The 2 cams (type 213) produced 280 bhp @ 7,600 rpm, and the 4 cams (type 226) produced 300 bhp @ 8,000 rpm.

6. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    Ok, so this car has 2 cams instead of 4, which makes is less desirable than a 4 cam car right?

7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I think so.

I'm still looking for a good 4 cam. There are a couple supposedly "in restoration" but I've not seen them yet.

8. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    So overall do you think that this would be a good buy?

9. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Moderators!! Move this to the Bikini thread!!

10. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    No No! That is the PERFECT description for it.

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    As to 2 cam vs 4 cam, the 2 cam is a bit more reliable and better for "every day" use, but to most the 4 cam is more desireable, and worth more money. I'd be happy with either one :)

12. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    Would a 275 gtb/4 be worth more money than this car? Anyone know of a Nart Spyder for sale?

13. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Me thinks someone on summer vacation has too much time on their hands.

14. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    I just want to gather all the info about this car, thats all.

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    There is no NART for sale.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Auctions are not the best place to buy a car like a NART Spyder, IMO.

Not that I would know anything about it, but a lot of times it's better to work the deal out of the limelight, I would think.....

17. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    We aren't interested in a NART, was just a little curious to see one.

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

19. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    Thats one pretty car, anyway which car would be a better buy(value wise later down the road) this or a gtb 4

20. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    If you owned something that beautiful, why would you ever want to give it up.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Zjpj,

I am confused.

schein609 stated the cars type as 275 GTB 6/C Alloy Berlinetta, thus doesn't the /C mean it is a competition model?

Surely the outside filler cap would have been for the competition models and this baby is an alloy one ... I want to see a picture of this car, as I believe the competition ones had higher tails, etc.

I know the 6 means 6 carbs ... but are we saying that the /C in this cases means carbs while the /C in the GTB/C case means competition ... that is very confusing and crazy :D

Pete

EDIT: Okay went to the Christies site and schein609 made a typo. I'll forgive him but it is a major one ;). Car is a:

1967 FERRARI 275 GTB/6C ALLOY BERLINETTA

Not a 275 GTB 6/C ;)

EDIT2: Sounds pretty special to me:

Pity about the wire wheels as they do not suit the 275 IMO ... but otherwise I'd be keen if I had 1/2 a million doing nothing ;)

22. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    me too!

The wire wheels were "optional" on the 275. Standard were those alloys with the holes. I like them both...

There is no doubt that this is special - the aluminum body, the filler cap, the roll cage - somebody will definitely snap this one up.

23. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    Sorry for the mistake, so you guys think that this is good buy?

24. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I don't want this to sound snobby, though it probably will. But, there's more to owning this car than simply whether it's a good buy. You keep asking that question as we discuss the car. It has a lot of nice features, and I'm sure it will sell. In that sense, it is a "good buy" to the extent that someone will be willing to the pay the purchase price. By definition, if someone is willing to pay it, then that's what it's worth.

But at the risk of sounding extremely preachy and obnoxious: there's more to it than just being able to write the check. You should have a passion for it. You should be ready to care for it as it deserves to be cared for: i.e. regular, costly maintenance. Any wealthy philistine could buy a Monet and simply throw it on a fire, or hang it on a wall and never look twice as he walks past. But such a thought would make an art lover cringe! Your bottom line is whether it's a good buy; but, your thinking should be so much broader. If you and your father are considering this car, I think you should shift your focus to learning what it's all about, to acquire that passion for it. Only then can you give it a good home.

25. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    I do have a great passion towards cars, I was just asking if it was a good buy because im not to knowledgeable when it comes to vintage Ferraris, like how much they are worth and what is the most desirable configuration. I know that there are so many variables that arise with vintage Ferraris, like how this car has 6 carbs, 2 cams, Alloy body and so on. And that one option can make a difference. I was asking if this was a "good buy" because i wanted to make sure that this car was a rare and desirable configuration.