ANOTHER PININFARINA CONVERTED 400 ? | FerrariChat

ANOTHER PININFARINA CONVERTED 400 ?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 400SPYDER, Aug 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Further to my research into the history of my 400 spyder telaio 47589, I was reliably informed that there was only one known Pininfarina conversion telaio 73011 - please go to my profile for previous threads.

Is this another one - 1978 400 GT telaio 123647

http://www.motorsnippets.com/auctionlots.asp?Lot=58239

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Note the bold portion. Still a post factory job..even if done at the dealer. Kinda like the F50 dealer painted to Azzuro blue.

3. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    a handful was subsequently converted to cabriolet specification by independent coachbuilders. In this case however, the transformation was carried out prior to delivery by the order of German Ferrari importer Auto Becker.

Funny isn't it how different people interpret things differently.

I took the bold portion to mean that this was done before it got to the dealer - "prior to delivery" - and therefore Pininfarina had done it.

4. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Pinin didnt do it, "German Ferrari importer Auto Becker" did. Thus making it better then most conversions, since it was done by a sanctioned dealer, but still a conversion not done by Pinin in their factory by them.

The quivalent would be if "I bought a 456 that was chopped by Algar or WWOC. I did not do the conversion or pay for having it done, it was done by the importor and seller of the car and then the car was offered to me."

5. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Thanks for further clarification Omar.

Don't suppose you know anything about cars converted in the Uk by E G Autoraft on the instructions of the UK Ferrari importer H R Owen?

6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sorry, my focus is mainly on 3x8s (mainly 328s) and TRs/512s/512Ms. I am sure a site member who is a better general historian (wayne?) will be able to help you better then I.

That said, that 400 is a damn nice auto.

7. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Kevan, the serialnumber is completely WRONG. In fact, 123647 is a 360 Modena, US-version, made in 2001 ....

Also, if it went to Auto Becker, I think it would be a conversion made by Lorenz & Rankl. But that's just a guess ....

8. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Hi Edvar

Nice to hear from you again - unfortunately I have had no reply yet from L & R about my car - now wondering if it is an E G Autokraft conversion as detailed above. Surprisingly Simon doesn't have any information on Autokraft.

I thought the telaio looked completely wrong, but that link I posted was from the Bonhams 19th December 2003 auction - so go figure!

Given reworking of rear wing in picture I'm still wondering who actually did the conversion - doesn't look like a L & R conversion or a Pavesi.

9. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Chassis number should probably read 23647, and not 123647 - this would make it around 1978. The auction houses are renowned for getting these small details wrong.

I also read it that the conversion was doen by Auto Becker when the car was new and prior to delivery.

I must say that it looks like a truly awful conversion! Auto Becker were a huge dealer in thw 70s and 60s in Dusseldorf - main agents for Ferrari, Rolls and maybe evn Mercedes and BMW. I think they went bust a couple of years ago (2001, 2002). It is entirely possible they did the conversion work, it does look a bit amatuerish though.