losing a ferrari because of a divorce | Page 2 | FerrariChat

losing a ferrari because of a divorce

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by scycle2020, Jul 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I bought my Ferrari shortly AFTER the divorce...

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    lol

3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    thanks for the advise... i should have be a divorce attorney also!!!!

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    you have been very lucky, finding the right woman.. much harder than finding the right car!!!!

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    You can always sleep in your Ferrari but you can't race your House?

No personal experience but I would sell the house before the Ferrari !

Cheers,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

6. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Hey I went through that situation a few years ago. Ferrari was already gone but she thought she'd go after my Porsche's instead. Lucky for me they were both disassembled at the time. I therefore scattered the parts to various friends garages, I sold my 73 911S to a buddy for $100 and told her to have at the 930 if she wanted to, considering it was a shell.

She settled for the 380SL (Boring) and the 85 735i..... After the divorce I bought my 73 S back for that same $100, and the 930 is still partially disassembled...so don't dispair, there are ways.

Hey, didn't you say that Ferrari of your's had an engine problem and a rusted frame? Hmmm, I'll give you $1,000 for it...should be worht more than that! ;)

Good Luck!

7. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Ok, let me try another route.

If you bought your first Ferrari, and all it did was break down, cause you headaches and drain your wallet, would you swear off all Ferrari's forever? Of course not. You keep looking till you find that beautiful, pristine 275 GTB that you hang on to for the rest of your life.

Same with marriage.

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,it looks like some of us have been through the same Ringer....:( But,I did find a great Lady the second time around. (Lots of my Buds have too. Including a Doctor friend.) And,she loves the Ferrari,but she's not Car Crazy like I am. But,she likes to go for rides,shows,cruise nights,etc... Thas about it.

And.....she is fully aware of how big,and vast the Arizona desert is.....................................................................................:) (just kidding.....)

9. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Yeah, but being married to the wrong woman can feel like having 1,110 Ferrari's dumped on top of you. I can probably live a happy life without owning ten F40's, a hundred F50's, or 1,000 Enzo's. But I would probably die if all those cars were dumped on me.

10. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Since we are talking about divorces...and for the ones who have gone through, instead of staying "don't get married," how do you see yourself avoid the situation of losing your house/ferraris and all that?

I mean if you bought the house (in your name) and your cars (all titled to you) before your marraige, and during the marriage, you kept all accounts separate, and then you got divorced, would it be possible to keep all your assets?

Just trying to figure out a way not to get screwed financially before the marriage.

No prenup applies in this situation, currently. :)

11. ART360

ART360 Guest

MIchael:

I never planned on getting old. I actually did something about it: raced motorcycles, figuring that sooner or later, it would be a done deal, and I wouldn't have to worry about getting old. I'm 60 now, and I creek when I move, had over 28 broken bones over the years. Sometimes you get the worst of all possible worlds. Watch out for what you wish for, you have just get it.

By the way been married for 33 years. As to those who didn't select properly, you have no condolences. Learn from your mistakes, make sure that the person you're thinking about marring is someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with, not some bimbo that you want to sleep with.

Art

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    good point :)

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I think the idea is to then be able to buy the Ferrari BACK from the helping friend. Something tells me that he might not get it back!

Of course the above theory assumes that one is going to live forever and therefore have the time and money to spend and/or sacrifice on a possibly non-ending and unsuccessful search.

Even though we disagree on most issues, for a brief moment, I was actually starting to feel some compassion for Art......
    But then the mood passed and I started thinking more clearly!

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

Arlie:

Don't feel sorry for me, I don't. I did everything that I wanted to do, had pretty good success at just about everything that I wanted to do, and have no regrets about what I've done (at least what I've done on my own, perhaps not what I've done because I've been told to do it).

I think that very few people can say the above.

Art

15. MikeF

MikeF Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Bloomington IN
    Full Name:
    Mike Fisher
    BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.......GOT THE RECEIPTS.

Had to sell the Lola race car, Porsche 911, and the Kubota tractor! She wanted a cash settlement.

Now I have 3 Maseratis, 2 Porsches, a Mercedes, and a Ferrari. I guess it was worth the sacrifice.

16. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Getting a divorce because Ferrari?...yes.
    Losing Ferrari because of divorce?... yes, about to....

17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well said.

And to all you jaded guys, my wife encourages my owning an F car, wants me to get the Maser GT, as do the kids, who are mostly grown and heading out the door for college. So,not all marriages end in disaster.

I've been through a divorce,too. A good lawyer helps, being adult helps too. Sometimes people just should not be married to each other and that was my situation. I still talk regularly with my ex, I have primary custody of the kids, she sees them 2X a week. But through the entire divorce, we kept talking, although sometimes with raised voices, and so, can still talk now.

As an aside. I hired an attorney who normally represented women. Shocked the hell out of the judge, and the other attorney when we showed up together for a custody hearing. Really changed the atmosphere, and adjusted the viewpoint of all the other players.

18. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Man, what are you smoking?