ebay deal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ebay deal

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Juice It, Jul 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm confused, you spent $30k on a car and sold it for $2k? You lost $28k? Or you put $28k into it and sold it for $30k?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Wait! I know this one!

If the hotel manager charges each man $10, it's a total of $30. Then when he realizes he has overcharged them a total of $5, which he gives to the bellboy. The bellboy pockets $2 for himself, and returns $1 to each man. So each man has paid $9, or $27 total. Then there's the $2 that the bellboy pocketed, for a total of $29. And that's how $30 become $29. Right?

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    So, Matt, THIS is what have you been up to since leaving that accounting job at Enron? ;-)

John

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F

Hee, hee! ;) That's actually funnier the more you know me: I tend to be an extremely straight shooter, accounting-wise.

5. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I am so glad there are a few on here that also appreciate the 4HL. I have been in love with this car for many many years. My dream car is a 330 GT 2+2 (blue + Tan) series I or interim, The would look so nice next to my 308.

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Matt:

Beautiful car! I've read your posts about it on Tom's board, but this is the first time I've seen pics. 330 was a great design overall, no matter what year or number of headlights. But, I am opinionated in favor of the fours, no offense intended to 2 headlight owners.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks, Spook.

The four headlight cars look better in person, too.

I bought my car because it was the right one at the right time for the right price. I have a slight preference for Series 2 cars, not just for the looks, but for the 5-speed transmission, pendulum pedals, and air conditioning.

I think that they're still very underpriced. Or at least they're a great value.

The rear suspension is so well (if oddly and traditionally Ferrari) designed that I'm not sure that a GTC IRS would handle much better. And I like the sweep of the rear window better, too.

An aside:
    When I was a pre-teen, riding as a passenger in my father's 308 was the greatest thrill in the world for me. On one sunny day, we were travelling some back roads, and at a four-way-stop intersection we encountered at GTE (or, possibly, a 330 America).

The occupants waved enthusiastically, and we waved back, somewhat more cooly. After all, we were in the latest and greatest V-8 Ferrari, with gorgeous bodywork, and they were driving a stodgy old, unloved 2+2.

Now I'm the guy driving the old 2+2. When I see a 355 or a 360, and when I wave, the other drivers are often cool, too. After all, they're driving the latest and greatest V-8 Ferrari, with gorgeous bodywork, and I'm the one driving a stodgy old, unloved 2+2.

But that newer Ferrari driver doesn't realize (as I didn't realize as a kid in my dad's car) that he's missing out on a lot. For one, his car may sound great (perhaps by the expense of a Tubi exhaust), but it still doesn't sound like a Columbo V-12. He also can't easily work on his own car. There are no points or carbs to adjust, and valve lash is usually a mystery.

Instead, the driver of a modern Ferrari worries about simpler issues, like what kind of gas to buy, what kind of oil to use, and even how many horsepower he can gain with a K&N air filter. And he worries about cambelts, far too often!

Meanwhile, I really enjoy my Ferrari. I fix most things myself. If I have a trusted mechanic fix things for me, the costs are reasonable. As a bonus, I enjoy the smells, sounds, and sheer thrills as Enzo himself designed.

It's amazing to me that a limited production V-12 car should be worth less than many 3X8 cars!

--Matt

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Matt, the newer Ferraris, excepting the 550 Maranello, don't interest me much, and if their drivers have a condescending attitude toward my car, it just exhibits their ignorance about the history of what they're driving. I'm the one in the rare vintage thoroughbred, and they're the ones in the mass production engineering marvels that you can hardly tell from a new Corvette. I think that the body styling on these cars is quite mediocre in comparison to the pre-Daytona era.

Your'e the one in the classic, the sophisticated guy in the know.

9. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    The other nice thing about a vintage Ferrari is that it always generates a positive response from people, while the same isn't necessarily true when I've driven the latest and greatest 355/360/550/456.
    They want to know what it is, point at the spinners on the wheels, Dad's say to their kids "thats a real ferrari..." etc.

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I get very sad when cars like 330 GT Series I are being called ugly. This kind of behavior reminds me of persons who go to a dinner parties and make loud notes about how "smoked salmon (you may insert your favorite dish here) makes them puke, especially if it is prepared like the one you are eating".

330 GT Series I is a strong design, very 60's and a gorgeous car. It's like an old eagle owl; being attacked by the crows all the time. I think it deserves better!

Best wishes, Kare

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I really agree with this. I remember seeing 330 GT 2+2 and 250 GTEs 20 or 25 years ago and being struck by how ungainly they looked, but as time goes on I like them both more and more. Same thing for the Mondial and the GT4, I'm really liking all these cars and would be happy to have any one of the 4 in my garage!

With the exception of a few glaring show cars, there's not a Ferrari made that I would not drive with pride.

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #37 ArtS, Dec 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Art: seeing your car driving in Times Square is simply awesome!

Here's my "bland" front end...

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Matt,

Thanks for the complement. Mine was the only vintage car there. Lots more pictures in the NY metro section under "Times Square Shootout"- pictures start at around page 28.

After filling one of the islands in Times Square with Ferraris, we did a spirited run around the bottom half of Manhattan and then headed to the FoLI concourse where Jim G. had his P4.

You can actually build up some speed in the city if you are there very early on a Sunday morning

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Tis the season to add a Christmas tree to the roof!

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    PPS. I happen to like the looks of your car very much, especially in silver.